Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Center a tale of Woe

Bobsk8

Originally posted by b3keys:

That's great customer service.

Wait a minute... :rolleyes:

You get up to pay for the keyboard and they try to charge you the full price, right? You point out the sign - clearly displayed - and so they back down and correct their mistake.

That's not great customer service. It sounds to me as if they were going to charge you full price had you not spoken up, correct? :mad:

The fact that they called you later to ask if you had any questions is standard fare for a company like Sweetwater Sound. These jerks at Guitar Center just wanted to appease you so that you wouldn't badmouth them all over the internet.

(Oooops, too late.) :D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by NYKeys:

Check this out On Monday I caught some serious Gas bought a Motif ES Rack from them. My Wife found out and told me to return it. Trying to keep peace in the house I decided the next day to return it.

Besides my wife crushing my gas attack, I tried the es out with my current setup and although it has phat sounds. I don't think this solution is going to work for me in a live situation.

Since I wrote them a check they said they have a 15 day clearing period before they can take the rack back and issue me a refund. Now I could not find this on the reciept or on any signs in the store. Have you guys heard of this.

Hey. Sounds like a good deal to me. Use the Motif ESR for 15 days, then take it back and get your money. :D

Albert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I don't buy the bit about poor musicians having to get the very least dollor in price. While I was full and and struggeling, good service was even more important. I made sure that I dealt with stores that backed me up, and the band did the same.

If my keyboard went down I got a loaner and the store was happy to make me happy. If the band blew and amp the store made sure we had enough power to push the PA. When I started traveling with a band the first thing they taught me was to go to the music store in what ever city we were playing and make contacts with the store. That was insurance.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Originally posted by b3keys:

Today, I received a follow-up call from the GC salesman who wanted to know if I had any questions about the product and if they could do anything else for me. That's great customer service.

Nope, that's good salesmanship. He's fishing for something else to sell you.

Ive actaully had pretty good luck with the GC I go to in upstate NY. The guys there usually take pretty good care of me and without question always give me the best deal possible and of course will match any printed ad from the internet. Ive saved a ton of money bringing in lower prices from online companies. The only minor down side ive noticed about GC, other then they dont always have everything Im looking for is they seem to have a fairly high turnover of employees. It seems as soon as I build a good repore with someone down there, the next time I go that person no longer works there and theres a bunch of new guys there that dont know me from adam, and dont know that a month ago I spent 3 grand there.

GC is useful for accessories and cables.

It is a miserable experience to demo a keyboard or related item

I have seen no change by them in 10 years other than a more persistant breathe in your face salesperson approach

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

When I was in college in the mid to late 80's, I worked music retail although not at a GC. Typically the way the saleperson is paid in the MI business is by a commission on the profit made on a given sale. At the store I worked at (a serious competitor to the GC in San Diego), we got 15% of the profit the day we started. I was told at the time that if you went to work at GC you didn't start even making commission until you sold a certain amount of profit, which I think was $3-5000 ( I don't remember exactly-but alot). So until that point you were making literally minimum wage. And it wasn't retroactive. Once you sold that amount then you could start getting commision from that point on. You never saw commission on that first 3-5K.

As is obvious, the hierarchy at a GC is pedals and accessories (the lowest-any kid that plays some guitar) up to keyboards and recording gear (the highest). The pedals and accessories guys were the canon fodder; the turnover was almost daily there I was told. Try selling $3K of profit in strings and cords. The keyboard guys usually hung around for awhile, but the bogus way they paid at the time guaranteed a high turnover.

I have no idea if they still do it that way, but I also rarely see the same people in there so I would not be surprised if a similar thing exists. Even at the flagship Sunset Blvd store in LA you get a huge turnover. I was there last week in the evening and was amazed at the cluelessness of the sales guy in the keyboard department. And no Nord Electros to be found!!!

Originally posted by GregC:

GC is useful for accessories and cables.

Nope. Cables at Guitar Center are much more expensive than those I've found on the 'net. This is the first thing that the sales guy will discount - and it's usually by at least 30% or more. Compare their prices and you'll see that GC's cables and accessories are no bargain at all.

The upside is that this is usually a product category that the post-hamburger-flippers know a little something about. :freak::D

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by Rabid:

...I have a long drive no matter where I shop. 80 miles to GC in Knoxville, 160 miles to SA in Cincinnati, 170 miles to Far Out outside of Louisville or 80 miles to Carl's in Lexington....Car'ls has a nice selection for a mom and pop store, but I stopped going there when they refused to even talk about taking my Karma in trade for a MotifES. I bought the Karma from them.

Carl's is the only place I fool with in the state of Kentucky, and its 120 miles away (2 hrs drive, solid). I agree their attitude toward trade-ins is pretty silly, but with the demise of the Pied Piper in Huntington, WV there's nowhere else worth the hassle within a three hours' drive. I'd rather just go to New York or Philly where I can get some other stuff done, see some shows, watch some jazz, and play some keyboards.
Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

Archived