Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

I would love to see what the Suns could do with a healthy team (Amare et al).

I also think that they are probably the most FUN team to watch. They're an exciting team that runs, runs, runs, shares the ball, and has a lot of depth.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Originally posted by meccajay:

Sat's game looks to be a hot-wing & heineken affair. :thu:

Sounds good to me... :thu:

Any of the LA crew wanna get together for Game 7? I'd be more than happy to host...homemade cheesesteaks and italian ice? :cool:

We could do Yankee Doodle's as well, if you guy'd prefer a more central location. Yo b - any Logic clinics on Saturday? Jay, what time will your flight get in? ;)

Either location is fine with me!!
Same here. I'd prefer to meet at Dave's, but either venue is fine.

I've got one source that says game time is 5:00 PM and another that has it at 5:30 PM. What time shall we meet?

Who else is in?

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

The Daily News Sports Section lists the game as 5:00. Dave's house would be fine with me. My girlfriend just started making plans with me as well, so now I am not sure what's going on for Saturday, but I am definitely still interested. I'll see if she wants to join us...

Man, you must know how badly I've always wanted to attend one of these seasonal basketball events at Yankee Doodle's or the Bryce's (and didn't Steve LeBlanc host one too?) so please take some pictures and post them here. Thx.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Magpel:

please take some pictures and post them here. Thx.

S/b no prob....I gotta tell you though - these are generally pretty unglamorous events... ;)

Man, ya gotta feel pretty bad for Gilbert Arenas today. Makes a gorgeous three pointer to force OT, then blows not one but two free throws at the end of OT, giving Cleveland the edge they needed to send the Wizards home.

Great game... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

http://www.corriere.it/Media/Foto/2006/05_Maggio/03/NBA.jpg
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Do ya think the Bulls are bummed because they chose to just sit this guy?

dB [/QB]

I think the Bulls gave up Thomas for pretty solid reasons, and I don't think they're crying too much about it. Chicago and Phoenix are in pretty different situations. Tim Thomas didn't want to practice hard. Chicago is a young club, and Thomas was the only "vet" presence that was a step up from a role player. For that guy to be setting a bad example would have hurt more than helped for the rest of the Bulls. In Phoenix, Nash is setting the example....they can just get out of Thomas whatever they can and not worry so much about practice habits......but that's a bigger deal for the Bulls right now.

Originally posted by steadyb:

WEST Round One:

Kings over Spurs in 7

Lakers over Suns in 6

Clippers over Nuggets in 6

Mavs over Grizzlies in 5

You read it here first.

http://www.activemind.com/Mysterious/Topics/Nostradamus/images/Nostradamus.gif

Well, two out of four isn't bad.... ;)

Man - guess someone forgot to tell the Lakers that there was a game 7, huh? :bor::D

dB

Originally posted by Unknot:

I hope the California crew had a good time at Dave's. Sorry about the loss, but there's always next year. Don't forget to post pictures for us.

Umm...we didn't take any pictures, because we didn't really pay that much attention to the game after about the mid way point in the second quarter. ;)

Mind you, we kept an eye on it...but when the cheesesteaks were ready, that was pretty much it.

Sooooooo....Clips/Suns, ay? Who knew? :P

dB

Originally posted by Unknot:

I hope the California crew had a good time at Dave's. Sorry about the loss, but there's always next year. Don't forget to post pictures for us.

It was all over by the middle of the first quarter. We had a good time hanging out and eating absolutely killer Phillie cheesesteaks and Italian ice cream (that's not exactly what it was, but close enough).

Here's a picture of us hanging out, since you asked:

http://www.providencehouse-reading.com/ProvidenceHouse/DSC03870v1BigTV400pxQ52.jpg

My thoughts:

Phoenix just rocked them.

The Lakers lost because they couldn't defend their basket.

Kobe's not to blame--he played as well offesnively as a man can play in the first half (9/13 for pete's sake, with four threes) and they went in down 15. Their only hope was to get hot as a tream, and especially to get some stops.

I'm sympathetic to setadyb tongiht, so I don't want to make too much of this, but I kinda think the Lakers played like thugs in this series, and it was ugly. They threw elbows and paws st the Suns' heads in every game. you could see darkness accumulating under their eyes.

Congratulations Geoff!

Originally posted by Da Weasel:

Pistons over Bucks in 4

Heat over Bulls in 5

Nets over Pacers in 6

Cavs over Wiz in 6

WEST Round One:

Spurs over Kings in 4

Suns over Lakers in 7

Mavs over Grizzlies in 5

Who knew? Me, apparently. I'm 8/8 in victors, and most of my game counts weren't far off either.

Here's my ROUND TWO:

EAST:

Pistons over Cavs in 6

Heat over Nets in 6

WEST:

Spurs over Mavs in 7

Clippers over Suns in 6

- Jeff

Here's a picture of us hanging out, since you asked:

http://www.providencehouse-reading.com/ProvidenceHouse/DSC03870v1BigTV400pxQ52.jpg [/QB]

------------------------------------------------

You can't fool me, that was backstage after the last Rolling Stones concert.

we didn't really pay that much attention to the game after about the mid way point in the second quarter. ;)

Mind you, we kept an eye on it...but when the cheesesteaks were ready, that was pretty much it.

Those were some fine cheesesteaks too, and the Italian ice waters were delicious! :thu:

Also, I can't complain much about the game considering the outcome. :)

I had a great time hanging out with Dave and Ken! Thanks for having us over, dB! :cool:

Congratulations Geoff!

Thanks, John.

Kobe's not to blame--he played as well offesnively as a man can play in the first half (9/13 for pete's sake, with four threes) and they went in down 15.

Agreed. And Kobe was amazing in Game 6 50 points in a playoff losing effort the first time since MJ did it in the 80s.

The young Lakers just needed playoff experience, and now they have it. I have no doubt they'll improve next year and be back stronger than ever!

Best,

Geoff

please take some pictures and post them here. Thx.

S/b no prob....I gotta tell you though - these are generally pretty unglamorous events... ;)
Dave, you are far too modest!

http://homepage.mac.com/musicproduction/.Pictures/BasketballParty.jpg

Best,

Geoff

I gotta pipe up here (yah, where was I the rest of the season, I know!) and say that the TNT guys put it best last night...

Kobe has only taken 3 shots this half, which is odd, when his team needed him the most...
Michael Jordan, eh? Jordan would have put his team on his back and carried them to victory - no matter how many points he had to score...

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Originally posted by Da Weasel:

Pistons over Bucks in 4

Heat over Bulls in 5

Nets over Pacers in 6

Cavs over Wiz in 6

WEST Round One:

Spurs over Kings in 4

Suns over Lakers in 7

Mavs over Grizzlies in 5

Who knew? Me, apparently. I'm 8/8 in victors, and most of my game counts weren't far off either.
Nicely done, Klop...I'm guessing it helped that 7 out of 8 were the top seeds/home teams, and that yer upset pick was the team you've been pulling for all season... ;)

Here's my ROUND TWO:

EAST:

Pistons over Cavs in 6

Heat over Nets in 6

WEST:

Spurs over Mavs in 7

Clippers over Suns in 6

I think the Pistons will take the Cavs in either 4 or 5. I wonder if Miami can take the Nets - NJ is playing pretty well. SA/Dallas is going to be all out war, and I agree that the Clips'll take the Suns...but then again, I hope they do, so I may not be being totally objective.

I love the playoffs.... :thu:

dB

Nicely done, Klop...I'm guessing it helped that 7 out of 8 were the top seeds/home teams, and that yer upset pick was the team you've been pulling for all season... ;)

Actually, while Denver had the higher seed by virtue of winning the division, the Clips had home court by virute of a better record. So the 3-6 matchup was meaningless. The Clippers were the home team and the favorite in that series

(...a ridoculous dicrepancy that the NBA must resolve one way or the other).

Even tho his record so far is somehwat less stellar than Jeff's, I give B vredit for the most ballsy and prescient pick--Sac over SA.

My round 2 picks:

Detroit over Cleveland in 5

Miami over New Jersey in 7

SA over Dallas in 7

Phoenix over the Clippers in 7

I'm surprising myself with the Suns pick, but the team I saw in games 5-7 is a tough team for anyone to handle. Yes the Clips will exploit the Suns inside to great reward (much better than the Lakers did), but will that matter if the Suns are putting up 110 every night?

The only series that looks non-compettive to me is Detroit-Celeveland. I wouldn't be at all surprised if I were wrong on all the other ones. and who knows? Maybe Cleveland will surprise us, but it they do, the surprise is going to have to come from Drew Gooden, Damon Jones, Eric Snow, Larry Highes, Flip Mirray...LeBron is not going to suprise anyone.

Actually, while Denver had the higher seed by virtue of winning the division, the Clips had home court by virute of a better record. So the 3-6 matchup was meaningless.

Thanks for reminding me...so I was wrong - Kloppy actually picked 8 out of 8 home teams, not 7 out of 8. :D

BTW thanks to brothers Ken and Geoff for taking the time to come and watch the game. It was, as always, an awesome hang. :cool:

Ken demonstrated an uncanny penchance for prognostication when, halfway throught the first quarter as Phoenix started to pull away, he said "If they keep this up, the final score will be 120-90." He was only off by one point. :eek:

BTW - that stuff I made is either called Italian Ice or it's Philly name, Water Ice. ;)

dB

Archived