Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Magpel:

Ah, the mind of Phil Jackson at work. Phil has never been above baiting and intimidation, and he always knows exactly who to target.

BTW, Kobe's postgame comments are some of the most bizarre I've ever read. Perhaps you had to be listening, e.g.,

"He didn't like my toneage, if that's a word." Bryant said. "He's the decider. Is that a word, decider?"

"Tone" would have sufficed in the first instance, but yes, "Decider" is indeed a word. A Presidential word.

Those references were about Raja Bell's bizarre foul? That really doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Phil's always doing psychological warfare of some kind. And he's very good at it. Very clever guy.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Rabid:

I know what Kobe was thinking...

"I got under his skin and played him like a chump. :D "

:D I suspect that's about right!!

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Magpel - "BTW, Kobe's postgame comments are some of the most bizarre I've ever read. Perhaps you had to be listening, e.g.,

"He didn't like my toneage, if that's a word." Bryant said. "He's the decider. Is that a word, decider?"

"Tone" would have sufficed in the first instance, but yes, "Decider" is indeed a word. A Presidential word."

Ken/Eleven Shadows - Those references were about Raja Bell's bizarre foul? That really doesn't make a whole lotta sense.

Those comments were in reference to the referee, Leon Wood, regarding getting his 2nd technical and being ejected.

Leon Wood was an All-CIF basketball player for St Monica's High School in 1979 or 1980. He went for at least 40 every time he played my high school. (BTW, I didn't play HS basketball, I played football and soccer) His scoring displays were always the subject of discussion the day after.

I fell asleep around midnight while watching the Lakers game and missed all the fun.

I did see most of the SA/SAC game and it looks like SA will be able to pull it off; I am not sure that they will win the next game, but the final will be a home game which I expect them to win. So if the Spurs and the Lakers win, it will be two California teams and two Texas teams in the next round. Interesting.

Originally posted by steadyb:

He went for at least 40 every time he played my high school. (BTW, I didn't play HS basketball, I played football and soccer).

I did play basketball in high school, and went up against (and was humiliated by) several guys who were eventually in the NBA.

Our division included Inglewood High School and Morningside High School, who have produced players like Reggie Theus, Paul Pierce, Byron Scott, and many others. It was pretty sad, but at least I can say I've taken a charge from a future NBA player. I think I still have the sneaker mark on my face.

- Jeff

Bell gets off easy...

Thanks for the link.

Do you people think that Reggie Evans - the Nugget Grabber - got off easy as well? Just curious.

Looking forward to Game 6 (Suns/Lakers).

Now, the team that wasn't supposed to even make the playoffs is about to knock off the Pacific Division Champs and their MVP point guard, and still no respect for the Lakers whatsoever.

Just come on out and be a hater, so at least it's consistent with your comments.

I thought some people here were unabashed Laker haters!! :D

Hey, they're getting enough respect now. They've exceeded just about all expectations, including most Lakers fans and, I believe, even the expectations of Phil Jackson. They were a shitty team at the beginning of the year, and what they've done is nothing short of miraculous. I suspect that most people have respected what they've done, even if they continue to hate them.

I've been a Laker fan since I was a little kid, living in Illinois. They've always been a fun, interesting, and often great team. But considering a lot of the bullshit that they throw forth, I can't really blame some for hating them, especially Number 8 (or whatever his number is going to be next year! :D ).

Originally posted by Ken/Eleven Shadows:

Number 8 (or whatever his number is going to be next year! :D ).

Does anyone have any idea why he's switching numbers? He's by far an above the best known #8 in history. Why be one of a bunch of good #24's?

- Jeff

Funny story... ( http://www.kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4802644&nav=menu216_4 )

"Confident Suns bemused by talk of Lakers' first-round upset"

PHOENIX -- Here they come again, those small, swift, sharpshooting Phoenix Suns, attempting to defy conventional NBA playoff wisdom, this time against a Los Angeles Lakers team that rolls into the postseason after winning 11 of 14.

The Lakers' late drive on the shoulders of league scoring champion Kobe Bryant has ignited talk of a first-round upset for No. 7 seed Los Angeles against the second-seeded Suns.

"We constantly seem to be in a position where we have to prove ourselves," Phoenix's Steve Nash said after the team's workout on Friday. "That's OK. It's a position we don't mind being in."

Game 1 is Sunday afternoon in Phoenix.

The Suns overcame the loss of Amare Stoudemire and, later, Kurt Thomas to injuries this season to successfully defend their Pacific Division title with 54 victories.

En route, they led the league in scoring, field goal percentage, 3-point percentage, free throw percentage and assists.

The Suns are even smaller than last season, when they made it to the Western Conference finals, but this year's version comes at opponents with more speed and more shooters.

Then of course, there's Nash, the reigning MVP who has better statistics this season in almost every category.

Phoenix is 7-0 against the Lakers with Nash in the lineup the past two years. When Los Angeles closed the season by winning five in a row, its home-court win over the Suns came with Nash and Raja Bell sitting out the game.

That's what led the Suns' Shawn Marion to scoff at the notion that the Lakers will win the series. :bor:

"At the end of the day, it's up to us," he said. "We know what we're capable of. We have to prove everybody wrong again. It doesn't matter. It's like the same song, same story."

The only losses the Lakers had over their last 14 games were on the road against the three division champions _ San Antonio, Denver and Phoenix.

Lakers coach Phil Jackson was studying tape of his team's games against the Suns to develop a plan for Sunday.

"We will look at things we have done against them," he said, "and we will try to see how we can exploit their defense, exploit their size, and eliminate some tempo they create."

Bigger is supposed to be better in the playoffs, and everybody has an inside advantage over Phoenix. The Lakers' success could ride not only on Bryant's scoring assault, but on contributions around the basket from Lamar Odom and Kwame Brown as well.

"Now it is time to really hone it in and focus," Brown said. "Everyone talks about how great coach Jackson is in these types of situations in the playoffs and teaching, so I am just eager to get in the film session and see what he has for us."

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni believes his team has pretty much seen every defense possible over its last two high-scoring seasons.

"People are not going to stop what we do, I do know that," he said. "Now, we could stop ourselves. We could have an off game. It's not going to be what they do. It's `Can we perform at our level?' and I think we can. Then we're going to have to get some stops, get some rebounds and we'll go a long ways in the playoffs."

A similar statement could be made for Bryant, who averaged 42.5 points in the regular season series against Phoenix, including 51 points on April 7, a record for U.S. Airways Center (formerly America West Arena). But the Suns won that game 107-96.

Most of those points came against Bell, one of the most annoying defenders in the NBA.

Bell's intense play irritates opponents and led to a technical foul against Bryant in that game.

Afterward, Bryant refused to even acknowledge Bell.

"I've got bigger fish to fry than Raja Bell," Bryant said then. "Are you kidding?"

The Suns' strategy was to get Bryant so consumed in taking his game to Bell that it would detract from the overall outcome of the contest. :idea:

"We were going to try to engage him in a 1-on-1 battle and let him shoot as many times (as) he wanted and hope that the rest of his team won't be able to help, and that's what happened," Bell said. "In a series like this, you have to understand that and be professional enough to be able to deal with somebody who can score that much."

The Suns wouldn't mind if Bell got Bryant all worked up again. :rolleyes:

"Hopefully I can get him engaged again and he wants to score 80 on me," Bell said, "If he scores 80, maybe they win, but if he scores 60, maybe we do."

Funnn - nneee.

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

... Does anyone have any idea why he's switching numbers? He's by far an above the best known #8 in history. Why be one of a bunch of good #24's?

- Jeff

That's probably why. This is the player who "needed" to show Jordan up in the AllStar game even though Jordan was 40 and over the hill. He probably wants to be be known as the best #24. Whatever, I don't buy the reason that he used that number one year way back in school.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Forget about Kobe & The Suns...bleh.

The offensive showdown I saw last night between Gilbert Arenas and Lebron James was one for the books! :D

Gilbert finished with 44 points, Lebron finished with 45 and the game winner...OMG! :freak::D

No defense to speak of naturally, but the intensity that these 2 come after each other with hasn't been seen since Magic vs Bird. I watched the Lebron vs Wade showdowns this season. They were quite good, but seem small in comparison to the last 2 games between Arenas and James. This is the bitter matchup weve all been waiting for that will enchant for many years to come!

And yes, nice bit of wizardry by King James with 3 seconds left. :thu:

TROLL . . . ish.

Originally posted by meccajay:

The offensive showdown I saw last night between Gilbert Arenas and Lebron James was one for the books! :D

Yeah, it was... :love: be taking that shot at the end of regulation, he'd have sunk it for sure..." :D

Should be some way entertaining basketball this evening...I'm psyched. :cool:

It'd be pretty embarrassing for LA to lose at home against a Suns team without Stoudemire, K. Thomas and Bell, huh? ;)

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Hey steadyb, I listened to the KC Comp 11 CD this morning and have to compliment you on your track.

I was relieved that you have better taste in music than NBA teams. :D

Originally posted by Rabid:

... Does anyone have any idea why he's switching numbers? He's by far an above the best known #8 in history. Why be one of a bunch of good #24's?

- Jeff

That's probably why. This is the player who "needed" to show Jordan up in the AllStar game even though Jordan was 40 and over the hill. He probably wants to be be known as the best #24. Whatever, I don't buy the reason that he used that number one year way back in school.

Robert

24 is one more than 23. It's a subliminal thing, a way for Kobe to be "better than" Jordan, even if only figuratively.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Unknot:

Hey steadyb, I listened to the KC Comp 11 CD this morning and have to compliment you on your track.

I was relieved that you have better taste in music than NBA teams. :D

SNAP!!!

:D

:D

Originally posted by Dan South:

24 is one more than 23.

I thought about that, but... c'mon. Do you really think that's the reason? There's gotta be something less shallow than that... doesn't there?

- Jeff

24 is 8 time 3. Maybe Kobe thinks that he's three times as good as he used to be.

Maybe Kobe is taking a math class.

8 = 2 x 4

Powers of two:

2 to the 1st power = 2

2 to the 2nd power = 4

2 to the 3rd power = 8

All three digits have English homonyms:

2 (to, too)

4 (for, fore)

8 (ate)

Of course, there's another digit homonym that Kobe might like:

1 (won)

Darned if I know...

Did Anthony Johnson just make himself a lot of money? Wow! Who knew? He was the best backup that J Kidd has had in this nice run with the Nets, but...Jamaal Tinsley must have mixed feelings.

I haven't given the Heat enough respect, I don't think. Now I'm starting to believe they're going to be very tough, for the Nets and beyond.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived