Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

The Clips should not have squandered a 16-point lead. That's not the way championship teams play (case in point: San Antonio). They were lucky that Carmelo didn't nail his shot at the end.... he's pretty clutch, had quite a few game winners this year. But other than Donlad Stirling (grrr), you have to love this Clippers team. Sam Cassell is all heart, and I think he'll be on his way to a coaching career after he retires. Plus, he hugs opposing coaches during the game!

http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20060423/capt.catg12004230504.nuggets_clippers_basketball_catg120.jpg

:D

Here's your stat for the day: 79% of teams who win the first game in a series of seven win the round.

- Jeff

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

By the way: not that I think it'll happen, but if the Clips and Lakers face each other in round two...

Why not? I think the Clippers will advance too.

Hmmm.

Well, it seems the formula of this season remains in place in the playoffs. Kobe hot: Lakers win. Kobe not: Lakers lose. There were a couple of moments in the fourth quarter that I thought were going to end in a typical Lakers playoff late-game run for the victory, but you have to hit the shots. They were playing some good D, and it's kinda nice to have all five starters in double digits. Luke and Lamar, especially, put in good efforts.

All in all, a great away game against a great team. Just not enough.

- Jeff

I was pretty shocked by the Pacers beating the Nets. If I was going to pick one road team to win Game 1, as gritty as the Pacers are, it wouldn't have been them.

But calling that foul with under one second left... sigh. I guess you call them like you see them, no matter what kind of game it is, or at what point in the game it is.

I guess.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Hmmm.

Well, it seems the formula of this season remains in place in the playoffs. Kobe hot: Lakers win. Kobe not: Lakers lose.

Not exactly. The Lakers can and will take this series from the Suns. They are able to pound the ball inside at will against these guys, and will continue to do so. Don't look for Lamar and Kwame to miss as many layups and putbacks as they did today. The ball just wasn't bouncing the Lakers' way on those shots... that happens sometimes. No biggie.

Also, let's not expect that Thomas will shoot 100% (or even 80%) for the rest of the series. He couldn't miss, and that was a huge factor. Add in a more balanced free throw ratio moving forward, and a key "no call" down the stretch, and the Lakers still almost took game one.

I thought they played great, and with great composure throughout the game, and look forward to the Lakers winning the series in 6 games.

Go Lakers!!! :thu::thu:

Originally posted by steadyb:

Originally posted by meccajay:

I may have asked this question before, but how many rings does Timmy end up with when he retires? 5? 6?

In total denial. This from the same man who predicted, in no uncertain terms, that Kobe's Lakers would have 6 by now...
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

You know that great FedEx commercial about the guy who is always wrong? "You mean we don't get French benefits?"

B's gonna end up in that position this postseason: "You mean the Kings and Lakers didn't meet in the Western Conference finals?"

Since B is a smart guy who knows baskteball, I am left only to conclude that what we're seeing here is a state of psychosis induced by excessive loyatly.

Here we go... the league trying to make sure the Spurs get to the finals:

NEW YORK -- Ron Artest of the Sacramento Kings was suspended one game without pay for hitting Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs in the head with his forearm.

The suspension was announced Monday by the league. Artest will miss Game 2 of the Western Conference series on Tuesday.

The contact occurred in the third period of the Spurs' 122-88 win Saturday night against the visiting Kings.

Artest was hit in the mouth by Ginobili's elbow on the game's opening possession. The cut inside his upper lip required three stitches. (Yet neither Ginobili or his elbow will be suspended.)

Originally posted by Unknot:

Bull, Artest deserved the suspension, Manu's elbow was a mistake and Artest's hit was intentional. He should be suspended for the series.

I'm sure that's what everyone from San Antonio would say. :rolleyes: Manu should be suspended for the rest of the playoffs.

The Spurs have been the beneficiary of the last couple of transitional years by the Lakers. They snuck in a title here and there around the Laker 3-peat. But their run is quickly coming to an end. Last year was probably it for them.

If SA wins a ring this year, they will have surpassed the Lakers and they will be the defining team of the era. They've already won a championship after the departure (by retirement) of their hall-of-fame center, something the Lakers have failed and will again fail to do after the departure (by acrimony) of their hall-of-fame center.

And unlike the Lakers, the Spurs have actually had to beat a championship team to win a championship (and will likely have to do it again this year).

Unlike the Lakers, the Spurs' best player is revered by his teammates, who go to great ends to emulate his humility and unselfishness.

The Lakers have the best one-on-one scorer in the league, but the game has passed Kobe by.

Question: How many players from the Pistons and Spurs made the league's top 20 scorers?

Answer: 0. Zilch. None. Nada.

There's a point in there somewhere. Kobe's a dinosaur--a velociraptor, to be sure, but a dinosaur.

And funny thing, B, is that if you weren't such a Kobe loyalist, you'd be revelling like the rest of us in the NBA's rennaissance of balanced teams and unselfish play, but, alas, you're married to the league's most spectacularly selfish player...

;)

Originally posted by steadyb:

Last year was probably it for them.

I'll wager dinner at the restaurant of your choosing that you're wrong. :wave:

I'm thinking the Spurs win it all this year. At very least, they'll certainly go further in the playoffs than the Kobes. :P:D

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Well, it took nine-and-a-half pages, but this thread has finally kicked into trash talking high gear.

:thu::thu:

Enjoy it! I have a feeling that things will simmer down a bit when the Suns eliminate the Lakers.

(I can hear B's teeth "Nashing" at the very thought.)

:D:D:D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Archived