Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NBA 2005-2006 thread

Dave Bryce

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know, Steadyb, I understand picking the Lakers all the way through. It's not sane but it is comprehensible. Heck, I put Syracuse in the Final Four every year, and one year ('96, I think it was) that won me the tournament pool.

But...what are you seeing in the 8 seed Kings that the rest of us are missing? Isn't Artest hurt? Last time I checked you were hradly the west coast's biggest Bibby fan. Just curious.

I can conclude only that you have absolutely no respect for anything from Texas.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

I don't think Artest's thumb is anything serious. The Kings have been playing great the last few weeks, and are a different team with Artest.

If they were to beat the Spurs, then I think they could definitely beat Dallas. Sorry, but Dallas is soft, and it will come out in the playoffs. Whether it's Sac or S.A., the Mavs season ends in round two.

As far as the other side of the west bracket goes, here's what I think you guys are missing:

The Lakers are the 2nd youngest team in the league. I've seen every game this year, and have been following what they're up to since the summer league. This team has very talented guys... but very young. Learning the triangle has taken all season, but month to month since November, they have been getting better and better every single month, but up until this last month had been very inconsistent. But amid the inconsistency, they beat Detroit, Miami, San Antonio, Dallas, Denver, the Clippers, Kings, Suns, etc. all the top teams.

They lost over 10 games that they were tied or led in the last minute of the game...youth/inconsistency. With those games they win the Pacific.

Kobe has been unbelievable all season long, and is playing better than ever now. Also since the rest of the guys have started clicking with the triangle, he's been shooting better than 50%. He doesn't have to carry every minute of every game on his back anymore.

Their 45-37 record is very deceptive. Phoenix will be a tough series, but the Lakers can get past them. If they do, the second round opponent will be someone they thumped during the regular season, and if it's Denver, the Lakers will have the added benefit of home court.

Which would bring us to the Western Conf Finals. The momentum and confidence the Lakers would bring into the conf finals, plus having Kobe and Phil, completely changes the dynamic between the Spurs and Lakers. If they meet in round one, advantage Spurs. If they meet in the Western Conf Finals, at the very least it's a push, and in a game 7 of that series, I'll take Kobe.

BTW, my overall predictions in my last post would also probably make for the highest rated playoffs and finals in a long, long, time.

Big props to SteadyB for being the ultimate fan. :thu:

I think it's because of the youth you tout that the Lakers are going to run into first round problems. I think I may be being generous in predicting a 7-game series against Phoenix. And, of course, I hope I'm wrong, and the Lakers do go to the finals. I'm just trying to be realistic as I see it from here.

The other head-scratcher is your sudden respect for the Kings. I cannot envision any scenario that has them beating the Spurs, but if they do, you're a smarter fan than I. But keep in mind...

Only two 8th seeded teams have managed to beat the 1st Seeded Team: The Denver Nuggets eliminating the Seattle Supersonics 3-2 in 1994; and the New York Knicks eliminating the Miami Heat 3-2 in 1999.

And those were 5-game series. I think it'd be even harder to hold up for a best-of-7.

Are you going to NAB? Maybe we can hang out at the sports book or something!

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Klopmeyer:

Are you going to NAB? Maybe we can hang out at the sports book or something!

I am, and I'll bet steadyb is too.

We should definitely catch a game or two... :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

For the first time in several years, I will not be at NAB. I'm still in the midst of a Logic Pro clinic tour that runs for a couple more weeks.

However, not to worry, we will have many other opportunities in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounds to catch an excitlng Laker playoff game this post season.

Watching Kobe, Lamar, Kwame, Smush and Luke do their thing.

Go Lakers!!!

Have a great time at NAB!!! See you guys when you get back.

Originally posted by steadyb:

I'm still in the midst of a Logic Pro clinic tour that runs for a couple more weeks.

That's funny. I'm promoting a Logic Pro 7 tour on the GC Pro site . Coincidence? I think not.

We'll miss you in Vegas. Who will I bug now at the Apple booth?

Go Lakers & Clippers!

- Jeff

"Smush" rhymes with "Push"

Doesn't Push rhyme with Whoosh? So what does Smush rhyme with again? Nevermind, I've gone crosseyed.

Enough of this West talk! Bulls vs Heat tomorrow night! That's where the action is!

........okay, I may be in the minority on that one. Seriously though, it should be a fun matchup to watch. Frankly I'm pretty shocked at how many members of the media (not ALL from Chicago) are predicting the Bulls will upset the Heat in this one. Dan Patrick said the same on his radio show today....interesting. As much as I love the Bulls, I think they're crazy, but I appreciate the love.

Personally, I fully expect Shaq to turn it on in the playoffs....and while Dwayne Wade has struggled horribly against the Bulls defense in their 3 games this season, I don't expect that to last through a 7 game series.

If I'm wrong, and Shaq reallly has diminished to the point that he can't just "turn it on" for the playoffs, and Wade can't figure out the Bulls defense.....it could be an interesting series, but I would consider it a very happy suprise if the Bulls stole the series, I certainly won't be expecting it!

GO Bulls!

Sac played 'em even in the 2nd half.

Sac played their bench even. Van Exel looked great for the Spurs. Gotta give Nick The Quick some respect!

The Bulls are holding up amazingly on the road against the Heat at the moment... that's really surprising.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Clips/Nugs in a half hour. :thu:

- Jeff

Yep, Sac really evened the tables in the 2nd half. The rate of blood loss was dramatically rdeuced. You'd have to think that's a moral vicitory for them.

I didn't make the hsecond half of the Nuggetts/Clips game, which is a shame. This looks to me like a dynamite series between two unknown commodities with a ton of talent. As much as I will be forever indebted to Carmelo Anthony, I find myself pulled toward the Clips here--I like Brand, I like Cassell. I like Mobley playing in an environment far away from that petulant punk Stevie Franchise.

Man the Bulls had some chances down the stretch against the Heat, and unfortunately it was yong Hinrich (whom I love) who lost his compsoure--over dribbled, turnover, bad shots.

I really dig this Bulls team, though. I hope Skiles stays stable long enough to see this through. With two first round picks (inlcuding the Knicks'!) and cap room, who knows? Would anyone really be surprised to see KG there next year? Yikes! Instant contender.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Archived