Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ultimate wuss-amp. (Got bucks???)

Billdar

Hi y'all,

Last Saturday my band played a gig at nice little bar which had, at first glance, the puniest FOH sound system that we had encountered to date. However, we were assured that the system, which consisted of nothing more than a 2 diminutive powered speakers, each with a single 12 inch woofer and horn, and a separate subwoofer, kicked major butt. We were also told that that the two powered speakers cost $5000 EACH.

Well the system worked as promised!

Actually the place wasn't little, but was mid-size, and I was surprized enough by the good sound to check the brand name of the speakers.

They were from Meyer Sound. I looked them up on the internet, and yes, the list price of these are actually more than $5000 each.

To get to the point, however, what caught my eye was this little gem. Here's a link:

http://www.meyersound.com/pdf/products/ultraseries/upm-1p_ds.pdf

I still can't believe the specs, but if I can take them at face value, these little babies are louder than Mackie SRM-350's, have a similar frequency range, and weigh only 21 pounds! And they look like they'd fit in a lunch box.

Well since I'm the daddy of all light equipment wusses, I wanted a pair, as they'd do fine for stage volume since I'm lucky enough to play with two guitar players who mike their amps and keep it relatively quiet on stage.

But then I checked the price.........A bit more than $4000 would get me a pair! I think I'll continue to get by with my Mackie's!

But you know, technology tends to trickle down. The new Traynor K-4 uses small speakers in a similar way. Maybe there is hope for us wusses!

Cheers,

Bill

www.61bealestreet.com

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know who Meyer Sound is, right? They are the preeminent concert sound company in the world and have invented some pretty amazing stuff.

They have one gadget that automatically zeroes a room by playing music thru it. It compares the direct signal from the CD with a second input from calibrated test mikes out in the venue. Then it applies EQ, time delay, phase correction, etc. to match the room. The cool thing is that you can do this right before the first act, after the room has filled up with the audience, which completely changes the acoustics.

Moe

---

The Meyer Ultra-series does indeed kick major ass. I mix on a Meyer UPA system regularly, and these three little speakers (two mains and a sub) throw out 100 dB of the cleanest, most musical sound in a 200-seat room without even trying. The funny thing is, the speakers are kind of frumpy-looking, not too impressive visually. But they're amazing.

It's not so much the driver sizes as it is the magic in the driver, amp, and box design. Meyers make my EAWs sound like cheap Peaveys, and that's not an understatement.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I've Always loved the Meyers ! When I toured with a band for a few years playing clubs, we had our own meyer rig... nothing we tried came close apart from some Turbosounds almost twice the size for throwing the sound out there....

Expensive yes.. value for money -definitely.. re-sell value- very high (compared to most other pa equipment).. so in all... a good investment...

Originally posted by Is There Gas in the Car?:

Originally posted by Zeke Smith.:

Meyers make my EAWs sound like cheap Peaveys, and that's not an understatement.

Ouch :rolleyes:
...And I should add that I quite like my little EAW's (JF-80e's and SB-150 subs). They sound quite nice, it's just that the Meyers are in a whole different league.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

Originally posted by Zeke Smith.:

...the Meyers are in a whole different league.

I know. I've heard 'em.

We do our best with what we've got to work with. ;)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Tom,

I didn't know that you had those EAW's. I haven't seen any recommendations from you until today. We had a gig on New Years Eve where we ran through EAW's, and they sounded great.....but the speakers were large and heavy. I've considered EAW's for my keyboard, but I'm hedging because of the weight, mostly in the sub woofer. I'm waiting around for that new plastic case, lightweight EV sub.

Hmmmm.......let me guess.....you run these with a QSC PLX amp. (????).

Cheers,

Bill

Bill,

I use a couple of EAW FR 153Z 3-way speakers. CLONK HERE.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/7/9/3/281793.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/tn/7/9/3/281793.jpg

They are powered by two Hafler XL280 amps in bridged mode, or one when I can get by. These amps sound great, have no fan, and have served me well for longer than I can remember.

But if I were to replace them, I'd consider one of the QSC PLX amps.

I have used this setup primarily as a small PA for the band. We usually don't need it to be loud, but with three guys singing & playing acoustic guitars, it needs to be clean and crisp.

I think that these three-way FR153z speakers sound as close to a living room speaker or studio monitor as I have heard from a PA speaker. They have a smooth treble response and the 15" woofer provides plenty of low end depth. Having a mid range driver gives me a solid foundation for vocals.

If something happened to the FR153z speakers, I would definitely consider buying another pair.

Thanks,

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived