Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Talkbox question - Danelectro Free Speech

Milt

There was a talkbox thread a couple of years ago. I wonder if anyone can help with this one...

Anyway, the question is:

Has anyone tried the Danelectro Free Speech? I really like playing with a talkbox - yes, it's perilously close to a vocoder and the tube makes you look like you're on life support (not to mention the looks you get from any hygiene-obsessed bandmates), but I love using it for Roger-style backing vocals and also for soloing.

I've been missing my Heil Sound every day since I sold it. The sound was fantastic, but I don't bring an amp to most gigs so it was too much effort for something I only used on 2-3 songs. Not to mention that these things weigh a ton.

I needed something with a built-in amp. The Electro-Harmonix Golden Throat Deluxe is impossible to find for a reasonable price in the UK, so I bought a Rocktron Banshee. I'd read rave reviews by anyone who used it, but I was really disappointed - I guess it's fine for Frampton/Bon Jovi guitar lines, but it distorts the sound so much that the words are totally unintelligible.

Does the Danelectro suffer from the same problem? I understand that the supplied mics are a joke, but I'd rather sing into a proper mic anyway, so that's not a problem.

Any thoughts?

R.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a Free Speech box (which I bought for my Stratocaster) and have tried it on my NL3 just to see how it would sound. Not much like a...er...voc, well you know what I mean. :rolleyes: You can use a different mic than the two little ones they have attached to it. I use a SM-57 and it works fairly well (at least on the guitar). I like the fact that you are dealing more with the sound variations your mouth movements produce than just the words spoken. As a second best to the Heil, it fairs well in being able to hear the words mouthed.

Hope this helps.

Don

Don

"Yes, on occasion I do talk to myself, sometimes I need an expert's opinion."

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Rahsaan,

It appears our associate from Denmark didn't read your post, at least not the

Originally posted by Rahsaan:

The Electro-Harmonix Golden Throat Deluxe is impossible to find for a reasonable price in the UK.

As I said, I purchased it for my guitar and, like you, because it is difficult to find either the Heil or E-H at a reasonable price. That makes this a reasonable alternative.

I guess the only real way to find out is to try it for yourself.

Don

Don

Alesis DG8, ARP(Korg)Odyssey Mk.1, Roland JU-06 & Keystation61. Stratocaster if I get tired of sitting.

Originally posted by danimuschi:

check out:

http://www.tonytalkbox.com/Forum/index.php?

for more info...

D

I did and got this response:

vBulletin Message:

Sorry, the board is Closed.

:confused:

Don

Thanks for the replies.

Originally posted by danimuschi:

i've made some good robot kinda sounds on the free speech, but for good old troutman kinda vibe you'll need something better!!!

Hmmm... that's the main thing I was concerned about. As I said, I think I'd pretty much nailed the Roger Troutman sound with my Heil Sound, but it was too much hassle. Danismuchi, did you try the Free Speech with an external mic as well?

Originally posted by captainmri:

What about a Digitech TALKER?

I actually bought one of those! It sounds pretty good, but I didn't really enjoy playing it. Guess I'm too used to the whole plastic tube thing, rattling fillings and all!

One final question: do chords sound ok through the Free Speech? This was one of my main problems with the Rocktron - once I'd cranked it up to an acceptable volume, there was so much distortion that I was limited to playing monophonically. Not good!

R.

I must admit I was using mine in a monophonic lead so can't answer the chord question, but I will try it out and let you know.

Don

Don

hey!

i always use a shure sm57 with my talkbox. also with the free speech...

the free speech distorts with chords! i think most talkboxes do, but the free speech was really bad! my golden throat distorts with chords as well, but it's not as bad as the free speech!

anyway, roger troutman didn't play chords on his talkbox. he overdubbed each harmony! i like to play chords live, but in the studio, harmonizing with different takes is the way to go...

if you don't want all the hassel of a ordinary talkbox i think that the banshee is your best bet!

the tonytalkbox.com forum has been down before, so check it again in a while... it'll be up again! -i hope!!! lots of nice talkbox discussions and info there!!!

D

Archived