Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

another VK8/m question - drawbars transmit midi?

niacin

I read a comment that the drawbars don't transmit midi data. So I downloaded the pdf manual and from the midi info at the back of the manual it looks to me like it transmits drawbar midi data in sysex/hex format, rather than each drawbar simply having a controller number. Can someone confirm or deny this? Thanks.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certain about the sysex but I also think that some drawbars can transmit midi data on cc's somewhere in the 70-79 number range.. I seem to recall adding a cc number to a drawbar via an expression pedal for a part where I couldn't let go with my hands and I think it was on cc 75.. but that is about a year ago now so I'm not sure.. I may have gone via the route of sysex...

Thanks hawkan2580. I'm down in Canberra. Too far south. I want the drawbars to send midi to another module, EMU's B3, which I would still use for Hammond patches where I need the percussive keyclick effect you get without the tonewheel going off when you play a real Hammond's keys without playing all the way through the key travel. I have the EMU programmed to do this, but the VK8 (and most clones, except the XK3) can't. So I want to be able to pull the drawbars and have them send midi cc info to the EMU. I can set up any sort of patchcord series in the EMU to translate from any midi CC#, but I need midi cc info, not sysex. I'm guessing from the midi list at the back of the manual that the Roland drawbars don't send midi out information except as sysex.

Anyways.

Thanks,

Peter

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Oops - I meant to reply a few days ago while I had the pdf manual opened and forgot. I did not see anything else here that would indicates CCs assigned to the drawbars. (But nice job researching it for yourself :thu: )

I was'nt quite clear on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to simulate the 9 bar key mechanism in the real Hammond where pushing down ever so slightly brings out the first tone and each additional tone sounds as the key is further pressed? With midi? You mentioned percussion wwwhich has nothing to do with this so I'm confused.

The only thing I know is that it accepts cc to drawbar.. if it transmits is another thing

I discovered by pure accident this when I moved one of the sliders on a D70 I had hooked up to the vk8m... after investigating I found that slider assigned to transmit cc 75 or something and it corresponded to one of the drawbars and when I changed it to the next cc up, the next drawbar was controlled... but as I said, that is receiving not transmitting....

And why not sysex?? If it can transmit sysex.. from my memory of Emu, you can tell it to accept sysex on whatever id number.. at least on the p2000 you can assign what ever id number you want for the sysex... so you should be able to do exactly what you want it to do via sysex if not cc.. (not as easy, admitedly, but it isn't too bad to sysex set up this) ... I can have a bit of a play around with the Vk8m and the p2000 on my end and see if I can get it to work (I think the p2000 and the B3 will be similar in this regards)

Originally posted by Markyboard:

I was'nt quite clear on what you are trying to do. Are you trying to simulate the 9 bar key mechanism in the real Hammond where pushing down ever so slightly brings out the first tone and each additional tone sounds as the key is further pressed? With midi? You mentioned percussion wwwhich has nothing to do with this so I'm confused.

Yes. I have programmed the EMU to simulate the way Hammond keys trigger the drawbars in sequence, allowing you to trigger very little tone and lots of key click noise when you just flick the keys. I want to control the EMU's sampled drawbars via midi. The midi connection has nothing to with the key click. I just mention it to explain why I would bother hooking up a drawbar controller to a module when they both produce B3 sounds. The Roland will not respond to playing the keys lightly (percussively - not referring to the 2nd or 3rd harmonic percussion, but to the fact that you get a percussive sound.) as a real Hammond would. The EMU will (well close enough for jazz ...). So if I want to get that sound I use the EMU's sounds and the Roland's drawbars. But it seems that the Roland will recieve but not transmit midi CC data from the drawbars.

Hey Hawkan.

Thanks again. I know shit about sysex. I mean I've used midi.ox to save and dump patches in sysex format but that's about it. So the Roland will send sysex, but I then have to programme the EMU to respond properly. Which is where I'd be lost. I will have a look through the EMU manual next chance I get and see if I can make sense of the sysex strings - I know the Roland manual lists what the drawbars send so I just gotta sort out the other end I guess. Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Cheers,

Peter

p.s. I have a friend who plays tenor who just moved to Brisbane and would be keen to meet any gigging musos. He's ex Canberra jazz course, fine player and a solid arranger, into electro funk, also plays EWI. Email me niasynb3@yahoo.com.au if you're interested and I'll send you his email address.

• 10 months later...

I used Cakewalk's SONAR to track down a similar problem. I wanted to find out what controller the rotor slow/fast button transmitted. I hooked the VK8M up to my PC via MIDI, hit record and pushed the button a couple of times. I then used the Event List view to look at the raw data. Try using a software sequencer and record moving the faders and look at the data you record.

I'll try this after I'm done gigging this weekend.

Happy New Years all!!!

Paul

Thanks,

I bought an NI B4d. Now discontinued. Works perfectly with the EMU and the drawbars have a solid feel. Possibly my favourite purchase for the last few years. Makes me wonder how I ever got by without drawbars?

Archived