Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumour, Innuendo & Libel

Joe Muscara

I recently finished the Dec 2005 Keyboard, as I'm a little behind on my mags.

One thing that caught my eye (because I'm a Mac user and might be in the market for audio interfaces soon) was this tidbit from the Rumour, Innuendo & Libel column.

Scooping Santa

Astute readers know that I usually save the best blind items for last, so before I send you off to bed for those dancing sugar plum visions and all that jazz, heres something else for you to consider: My squad of WeHo elves got their North Pole brethren to let me borrow Santas Sidekick in exchange for a gander at Paris Hiltons Blackberry. Lo and behold, St. Nick has some very interesting gifts in store for our favorite manufacturers and developers. For example, Steve Jobs is getting his very own Presonus Inspire.

Any ideas, even WAGs what this might mean? Could Apple be buying Presonus? It seems feasible to me, but for one point. I thought that when Apple bought Emagic, they not only got Logic, they got the hardware interfaces that Emagic made as well, which I thought I had heard were good for the time. Now, it seems those interfaces have disappeared and I don't know what happened with that technology.

If Apple did buy Presonus, it would mean that Apple bought good hardware interface technology just a couple of years ago and let it die, only to buy another company to do it all again. That just seems odd and a bit wasteful. I would think if they wanted to revive their hardware interface business, they would still have all the talent in house.

Of course, I'm sure some of you could correct me if I'm wrong and Emagic didn't make those interfaces, they were getting them from someone else and rebranding them or something like that. So go ahead! ;)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Considering that at NAMM a couple of weeks ago, Apogee announced 2 products designed specifically for the Mac, designed with Apple's cooperation, and that Apple have integrated the interfaces into Logic in a way that they had not done before for any other interface, then my guess would that a Presonus takeover is not happening at all. As far as Emagic's interfaces go, I'm not sure if Emagic was making them in house or what, but they were consumer grade interfaces, nothing more. Emagic had 2 interfaces, both of them using RCA's for I/O, and a strange and quirky combined S/PDIF and MIDI I/O. Not exactly RME here.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Yeah, the recentness of NAMM was another thing I had thought about. The only other show Apple might announce this at would probably be AES.

If you're right about the "consumer-grade" quality of the Emagic interfaces, then purchasing Presonus would make more sense, though.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I debated whether to include as much of the quote from the column as I did. Looking back, it might have been easier to decipher the quoted part if I left out "My squad of WeHo elves got their North Pole brethren to let me borrow Santas Sidekick in exchange for a gander at Paris Hiltons Blackberry." I'm not sure what all that means myself!

So here's an edited version of that quote that may be more direct and clearer.

Scooping Santa

Astute readers know that I usually save the best blind items for last, so before I send you off to bed for those dancing sugar plum visions and all that jazz, heres something else for you to consider: ... St. Nick has some very interesting gifts in store for our favorite manufacturers and developers. For example, Steve Jobs is getting his very own Presonus Inspire.

Archived