Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

5 string bass

MidLifeCrisis

Just thought I'd share a little humorous experience I had today.

I did a last minute fill in for a jazz guitarist who was displaying his original material at a local showcase. I had never even heard his material before. But he is a friend so I agreed to do this.

He jotted some quick notes about the tunes on a sheet of paper 5 minutes before we went on.

I felt my way through the start of the first song but realized there were some quick changes and runs being thrown in. I looked at the bass player and tried to follow his lead. Every time I did I came out with the totally wrong notes and every looked at me strangely. This went on for about 2 minutes before I looked up higher at the bass and noticed the bass player was playing a 5 string. I was a whole 5th off. What I thought was a G was really a D.

It was embarrsing at first but after the first song I explained what happened end everyone thought it was funny.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:-)

well I have a similar story, although I think it is worse.

I play bass......

Four string bass...

went to a show about two years ago, and one of the artist I play for who had a hit single was in the audience... so they asked her to come up and sing her hit song.. since I was in the audience and was her regular bassist...I decided why not and went up on stage too.

I borrowed the bass guitar of the onstage band and starting playing the song, shouted the chords to the keyboardist etc and then the singer came in, and I couldn't figure out why EVERYbody except me (and the drummer of course) was way off key..lol.

looked down at the bass about bar 12 of the song and realised, shit it is a five string bass :-), moved up a string and everything was fine again...I dont' think anyone other than me noticed, cause no one to this day ever teased me about it :-), but yeah it was pretty embarssing :-)

rsp

richard sven

sound sculptist

Archived