Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

fingers - how far up the keys? (between the black notes?)

Patrick.Randall

I still don't have a teacher so would appreciate another bit of advice from accomplished sight readers.

Where do you play the keys? How far towards the black keys are your fingies when playing white notes? This may appear a silly question but I'm having trouble hitting the right notes when stretching much at all from the middle of the k/b.

I'm wondering if you are subconciously aware of where you are by feeling the gaps in the black ones..?

This really gets me when moving between my RD and a synth with smaller keys - the "offset" is all shot!

Any insight(s) for me please?

I suspect things would be easier for younger players as their eyesight/field of view is probably way better. Peering through a bifocal slot doesn't help when trying to peek. But I don't think I should be sneaking peeks anyway.

(I should add that I'm a 1year in beginner trying to teaching myself - pls no more advice about getting a teacher - I've tried!)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll try to explain, even though English is not my native language. :)

There's no universal rule as to where you should place your fingers from the black or white keys, it can vary for every hand size, every particular passage you play, etc.

An important concept about piano and keyboard playing is to "keep in touch with the bottom of the keys" every time possible. Of course, there are exceptions like when you need to play staccato, etc.

Many piano teachers will begin with legato playing pieces, so that you're forced to keep in touch with at least one key with each hand at all time. Why? Because amongst other things it will help you keep a physical reference and at the same time will help you build, as you say, subconscious memory for distance between keys, the "keyboard architecture" for each particular key, etc.

There's so much to discuss about it, so my best advice would be, if you can, take at least a couple of courses from a good teacher.

:cool:

The further in you play the heavier the action because of the shorter leaver. Also the less control of volume you have for the same reason. So there's no advantage to playing way in on the keyboard.

Of course, if you are putting your thumb and fifth finger on black notes you have to play the middle white notes well up into the gaps between the black notes. On a real piano to do this you have to keep the unused fingers curled or they will hit the fall board - on an electric you don't have this problem which can cause an issue transitioning from an electric to a real piano.

In general you should position your hands so that when you play a black note you can get your finger fully on the key comfortably. There's some tolerance there. At one extreme you risk the finger falling off the end of the black note. At the other you risk your thumb hitting the end of a black note when you move it between white notes. If you split the difference that's about right, but don't get anal about it - use the range of flexibility to make life simple.

Archived