Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"perfect pitch"

Hmm, perhaps this will clarify my thought...if the siren is heard while walking down the street that, generally would be a non-musical context...unless one was mentally imaging some music that the siren clashed with. If the siren was heard in the context of a band that happened to be tuned to pitches that were non-standard, the siren might sound perfect...as it might if it hit the right degree of flatness during a Muddy Waters record. If one took their perfectly tuned (A 440) violin to Bali, it might clash with any number of the gamelans there...& a musician who felt annoyed by anything that wasn't correctly pitched might grab it from one's hands & break it like Jack Benny! ;) My ultimate point is that absolute pitch is one thing but the acclimation to a certain set of pitches as "correct" is cultural at best &, really, a bit over-finicky, IMHO (no offence intented). After all, even European concert pitch has (& as a practical matter, continues to) drift in different eras & locales. Perhaps if I had absolute pitch I'd feel differently but I doubt it; the matter seems to be more one similar to someone annoyed by an object that's not in [i]precisely the right spot[/i] on a table---musical OCD ;) . Oh, & many technicians (so I hear) can detect motors (not car engines) that are not functioning at proper speed by pitch (the spin far too fast to dompare beats). Anyhow, if we differ, we differ; no fault [never a fault when you're funkin']! :thu:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Brittanylips: [b]I have "perfect" perfect pitch. The idea that it is a burden is rediculous. It's great. I can hear any music, and know -- without thinking -- what all the notes are. It is as instantaneous as looking at a picture and being able to tell the colors .... Beethoven's C minor preference and other powerful influences in the history of C minor give it an undeniable "character." It is similar to someone recognizing blue as a pure color, and its reference to the sky. -Blilps[/b][/quote]When I was at the University of Miami, I knew several people with perfect pitch and they described it with the 'colors' analogy too. They associated different pitches and notes with colors ... C being 'lighter' and F# being 'darker' for instance. As for myself, I just now hummed a C and went to my piano and it was right on the money. Probably just lucky today.

[quote]Originally posted by Steevo: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Brittanylips: [b]I have "perfect" perfect pitch. The idea that it is a burden is rediculous. It's great. I can hear any music, and know -- without thinking -- what all the notes are. It is as instantaneous as looking at a picture and being able to tell the colors .... Beethoven's C minor preference and other powerful influences in the history of C minor give it an undeniable "character." It is similar to someone recognizing blue as a pure color, and its reference to the sky. -Blilps[/b][/quote]When I was at the University of Miami, I knew several people with perfect pitch and they described it with the 'colors' analogy too. They associated different pitches and notes with colors ... C being 'lighter' and F# being 'darker' for instance. As for myself, I just now hummed a C and went to my piano and it was right on the money. Probably just lucky today.[/b][/quote]It's funny you should bring up colors used with pitch. I was recently speaking with the founder of this company who says he's found the relationship b/t music and colors and hopes to use it for a new system of notation. His site is at: http://www.origincodes.com/ Interesting stuff....

Joe McDonough

Music Player Network

Archived