Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Whats The CATCH

part1sts

I have been researching the pc1x, and a lot of people seem to have only good things to say about this board. Its 88 semi wieghted, plenty of sounds, has a lot of inputs, etc... I read the downside is that it is not so customizable, but hey... If i can put a couple of pedals to that baby,, then it is customizable enough for me. Now the price is very decent too. I want to know what is the catch? Why should I not buy this keyboard especially if the main things im looking for are good pianos, organs , and something easy to use. WHOEVER HAS A PC1x, please enlighten me before I make a purchase.
Together we stand, Divided we fall.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd get it. I play mine everyday; it's my practice piano. I love the pc1x's pianos. But, if you must have a good B3 consider the pc2x for more $$$ and its kb3 program - a pretty darn good b3. I have A/B'd it [with my pc2] with my xk3 and electro2 and it stands up to them real well. The pc1x is a great deal; it has all you need. You can wait for the new model to come out, if, as and when, and never upgrade. I recommend the pc1x highly.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

1. Thank you

2. Although you said to check out pc2 if im interested in good organs, how are the ones on the pc1x?

3. My current keyboard is a qs7.1. I see a lot of people praising these boards online and I really do not understand why.... Anyways, would the pc1x be a worthy jump over the alesis as far as quality of sounds, and just an overall better board?

4. I understand that the pc2 or pc2x whichever one is newer is more expensive than the 1x. Now, knowing that, are they really that much different where its worth the extra almost 1000 dollars?

THank YOU once Again keyboardians.

Actually the pc2 and the pc2x came out first and the pc1x came out later. It has the same sounds without the KB3 organ program. That's one way, among a few other reasons, they can sell it cheaper. I have, an xk3, a nord electro, and a pc2 w/ KB3 - and I think the B3 programs rank in that order and they are real close to each other. There is nothing wrong with the organ patches on the pc1x as samples go - it's just not up to the level of the three mentioned. If it's a matter of budget, and ain't it always? the pc1x's patches are serviceable. I love my pc1x and play it everyday. It's a great board. I'm just fixated on B3 clones, that's all. Don't pay any attention to that character defect! :freak::D

I think the stock rhodes and wurlitzer patches are close to the electro. I a/b'd them all afternoon today. I'd frankly say it's a toss up. the pc1x 'classic rhodes' and 'serious rhodes' patches are really fine. I have a plain stock old pc2 w/o even the orchestral expansion. I have the orch on the pc1x, though. I do not really see a need for the expansion for either the pc2 or the pc1x. I soured on expansion cards back when I had some roland gear.

Are the Rhodes the same ones as in the original versions in the PC2X? My PC2X Rhodes patches had squeaky sounding high notes.

I assume the pianos are the same.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Originally posted by dnile:

I tried the KB3 mode on a PC2X at my local music store the other day and while I thought it sounded good, the leslie sim was terrible. Am I missing something, or do other people feel the same way?

Your right. The Leslie sim is not all that good. However, the organ samples are great. (Kurzweil uses tone wheel synthesis to produce the organ sounds vs using a single sampled organ sound). I use my PC2X's KB3 sounds through a Motion Sound KBR-3D. BIG difference! You can turn off the Leslie sim in the effects editor and run the raw organ samples into the amp. I was really surprised on how good they sounded along with the amount of editing that is availible. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I have also been considering the PC1X... the fact that its missing the KB3 mode is no problem for me, since I have a CX-3. In fact, it seems like a perfect fit, since I want it for the EPs and vintage keys, and act as my bottom keyboard, with the CX-3 on top...

My other consideration (and a big one at that) is the Electro... which ive actually played (i havent found a pc1x/pc2x to play yet). I love the EPs on the Electro... daviel - you have both... i'd love to hear any recordings you may have that can compare them.

(btw, to the original poster - part1st, i think you should have mentioned "pc1x" in the thread's topic name... it would've helped ppl who know the pc1x specifically find this thread - as it is, i passed it by several times before i finally took a chance and clicked on it)

Should add that - what i particularly dig about the Electro's EP are the nuances, the key release sounds, and all that detail really contribute to the way it plays... does the Kurzweil's (with and without the Classic Keys ROM) have that level of detail?

Originally posted by part1sts:

Are the pc1x's organs much better than alesis qs's organs straight out of the box? And I mean MUCH better?

I have a PC-2x. It also has all of the expansion sounds.

I had a guy's Alesis QS x.1 in the setup and I thought it sounded very pedestrian, overall. It sounded like a sub $1000 keyboard, whereas I feel the Kurz sounds like a $2000-range keyboard (it also has balanced outputs). I would say much better.

I use most of the Kurz EP's unaltered.

The pedal inputs (volume, etc.) also have excellent AtoD's. Even the cheapest of volume pedals respond very smoothly. No zipper effect. One advantage of a higher grade keyboard.

I would email Kurzweil and see if the Classic Keys ROM can be added to the PC-1. The EP's alone are well worth it. The rest of it is great, too.

ya but the pc2x you have has a kb3 mode. The pc1x does not. It has organ samples. What I wanted to know was how the pc1's organ samples sound. I understand theyre not as good as an electro or any organ simulation, but I would like to know that they at least hold their own.

I'd like to put a vote in FOR the PC2X Leslie simulation.

It's not bad. Really.

Especially in stereo. It's not bad at all.

I kinda like the Leslie sim of my Kurzweil 1000PX better.

'course, it's pale in comparison to a bona fide Leslie... but what isn't?

:)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived