Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Brad Mehldau

Jazz+

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's cool! Brad's been one of my favorite musicians for the last few years.

I think it is a little bit silly to compare E.S.T. with Brad Mehldau. E.S.T. are my favorites too, I have all their albums, that's why I can say these are different types of jazz. Your preference for something whose only common thing with the other is format - "trio" doesn't mean anything at all.

Originally posted by CyberGene:

I think it is a little bit silly to compare E.S.T. with Brad Mehldau. E.S.T. are my favorites too, I have all their albums, that's why I can say these are different types of jazz. Your preference for something whose only common thing with the other is format - "trio" doesn't mean anything at all.

I think it's silly to tell me what's silly in your opinion. I just said mine.

"these are different types of jazz"

And that's exactly the reason why I prefer one over another. Or maybe I should love all the jazz that's out there?

I am back.

This is supposed to be a thread dedicated to the new album of Brad Mehldau. It is not about whether you prefer Madonna, E.S.T. or whatsoever. Anyway, you are free to express any opinion on any thread regardless of how silly it is in the context of that thread or by itself. However, I share the same right. Hence, I think your opinion was silly by itself, it was silly in the context of the thread, your following opinion was of a quality barely different than that and you are silly at all. Of course, you feel the same about me. We both shared our opinions, so let's leave some place for the thread's initial purpose. Thank you!

Originally posted by CyberGene:

This is supposed to be a thread dedicated to the new album of Brad Mehldau. It is not about whether you prefer Madonna, E.S.T. or whatsoever. Anyway, you are free to express any opinion on any thread regardless of how silly it is in the context of that thread or by itself. However, I share the same right. Hence, I think your opinion was silly by itself, it was silly in the context of the thread, your following opinion was of a quality barely different than that and you are silly at all. Of course, you feel the same about me. We both shared our opinions, so let's leave some place for the thread's initial purpose. Thank you!

You are welcome.

"and you are silly at all"

Interesting... Would you dare to say me this if we'd meet in person, oh the brave one.

I am back.

Meh, listened to all his trio albums and not blown away, although he's undeniably a great player... dunno, maybe i should give him another chance!

Actually i DID really enjoy his playing on Josh Redman's "Timeless Tales" album, one of my favourites in straight ahead modern jazz...

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Originally posted by JimmyJimJim:

Meh, listened to all his trio albums and not blown away, although he's undeniably a great player... dunno, maybe i should give him another chance!

I think you should. The old trio was getting to a place where I thought they were not saying anything new. I got most of the early stuff, right up to Brad's solo piano recording and didn't bother with subsequent releases.

However, a month ago I was in the jazz section at Tower Records where I listened to Day Is Done. The new trio has got it *together*. The new drummer, Jeff Ballard, brings a fresh new attitude to the group. And, Brad is playing more concise and fluent; I guess you could say he doesn't *waste notes*. I like how he successfully reharmonized the Beatles She's Leaving Home, very cool. This is great stuff!

Archived