Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

[Noob post] Bought gear tonight

surgevw

My first purchase to so I can make music on my mac. As opposed to messing with Garageband loops.

Nothing fancy.

Yamaha PSR E303,

M-Audio Audiophile USB with Reason Adapted and Ableton Live (both light versions?)

Adapters and cables.

The salesguy was a keyboard guy so he ran me thru what I could do with the included SW.

I am not a keyboard player, but I will learn. Anything has to be easier to pick up than a fretboard :)

still a noob!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by surgevw:

My first purchase to so I can make music on my mac. As opposed to messing with Garageband loops.

Nothing fancy.

Yamaha PSR E303,

M-Audio Audiophile USB with Reason Adapted and Ableton Live (both light versions?)

Adapters and cables.

The salesguy was a keyboard guy so he ran me thru what I could do with the included SW.

I am not a keyboard player, but I will learn. Anything has to be easier to pick up than a fretboard :)

A fretboard can be tuned in an open tuning and played with the neck of a whisky bottle (preferable single malt)

Keyboard's way more difficult. You can get by on guitar with just a couple of hand positions. Can't do that on keys (well, there's always the transpose button, of course)

To get good is about the same amount of work on any instrument - just talking about getting to a point where you can get by here. Thats' much easier on guitar.

You will have a lot of fun with it. The PSR machines give you a lot of capability for the dollar. Its hard to say more than that because you don't say what your goals are.

Eventually you may want to add a weighted action, if piano is your goal. These days though it seems a lot of people start on this kind of board and I am amazed by how much they can do - I see them playing stuff I would think could only be done well on a weighted action.

I have tendonitis in my right arm (strumming hand) from guitar, and the (initally great feeling) weighted action keyboards seemed to exacerbate that, so I stuck with this velocity (I think) sensitive style. I wasn't exactly sure what it sensed, but it was inexpensive and I liked it well enough.

For now I want to see if I like all this enough to try more keyboards and see if I get the hang of sequencing and arranging.

BTW, wanna buy a USA Fender Strat? :)

still a noob!

Originally posted by surgevw:

BTW, wanna buy a USA Fender Strat? :)

Guitars are the devil !!!! Nah, just kidding! I gotta Strat sitting right next to me (and it's staring at me in a very evil way right about now!)

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Archived