Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Software for live use??

Hobo

Hi,

I'm looking to run a laptop live in place of my Fantom XR. Thing is I use a lot of complicated splits / layers, all on MIDI channel 1 as thats all my controller does.

Is there any software that would allow me to have eg;

VST Bass 1st 2 octaves, a sampled piano 2nd 2 octaves, and a B4 organ at the top?

Then I'd need to save this as a "performance" and be able to dial up the next one for the next tune, with say bass / harpsichord / theremin.

Any software that makes this possible? I've seen the Receptor but I'm intrigued to see if I can do this with my current laptop.

Thanks in advance.....

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've used them all. If you're on a PC, the most versitle software for live use is Brainspawn's Forte. It can do what you need and a lot more, including getting around the issue of effectively using MIDI program change even when the soft synth doesn't support it. The developer is very quick to respond to issues and if you run into a bug, he will do his best to fix it in a very timely manner. BTW, this is really the same software used on the Neko.

Check out a demo here.

Busch.

That is some incredible looking stuff. Thanks a bunch Busch! I may have to pull out the laptop and give it a try myself. Being a Cubase user I was about to suggest Steinberg V-Stack but I haven't tried it myself nor do I know anyone who has. None of the online stores seem to carry it either. Thanks again for the heads up on Forte! :thu::thu:

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

Make sure you work with the demo FULLY on your machine before making your purchase. I tried an early version and had too many problems. I went with V-Stack which is very stable but not very feature rich. I tried Forte at a later date and found it to be stable. Getting third party VSTis to all work nicely is tricky business, plus every PC is different. He is a small developer who is VERY in tune with the issues of using soft synths live.

Busch.

Ok I had a look at V-stack, there's very little info on the website.

Is it simply a 16 instrument 'player', or can you have different setups for each song? Is that what you mean by "not very feature rich"?

Any info appreciated.

Ali

Archived