Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VK-8 Upgrade?

MidLifeCrisis

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a link to the VK user group called the VK Corral.

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/vk_corral/?yguid=156287833

They discuss the Soundside "Upgrade" at length. I had a copy of it & didn't care for it. I ended up resetting my VK-8 to the original factory settings. But you may like it. Also it really doesn't do anything more that you couldn't do by editing your VK-8.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Originally posted by b_3guy:

Also it really doesn't do anything more that you couldn't do by editing your VK-8.

Well, not directly... it uses Sysex to make changes to the VK, including a couple of presets that truly bypass the Leslie sim... but yeah, in principle, if you're up on your MIDI Specification comprehension and Sysex string manipulation, you can make those changes.

At the end of the day, though, what's your time worth? For $40 (last I checked, not sure about now), it probably saves the majority of people about 40 hours worth of work. ;)

I haven't bought the Soundside upgrade personally, because I'm satisfied with the changes I've made to my setup (through trial'n'error, as well as the tips from other VK users from the Yahoo! group).

What was my point again? ;)

Cheers,

SG

Also my VK-8 started sending Sysex when working with Digital Performer whenever I sent a Leslie sim change or switched Vibrato on or off. This caused DP to crash. What I meant by the what the SoundSide upgrade does sound wise, you could do yourself.

Steve

What I meant by the what the SoundSide upgrade does sound wise, you could do yourself.

Not without understanding (and transmitting) the appropriate Sysex data. Much of the Soundside upgrade cannot be accomplished from the front panel. I'm not sure if we're agreeing or not, here... :freak:

Also, I'm sure DP must have a Sysex filter that you could enable... for DP to crash simply from the reception of Sysex data seems... odd? :confused:

Cheers,

SG

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

I'm not sure if we're agreeing or not, here... :freak:

[/QB]

I don't know, you tell me. You're always such an expert. And what's with this cheers bit in your signature.

Steve

I don't know, you tell me. You're always such an expert. And what's with this cheers bit in your signature.

:eek:

Ummm... not sure where the hostility is coming from, Steve, but your posts on this subject aren't exactly clear... which is why I'm wondering if we're actually saying the same thing.

If you feel that you can accomplish the Soundside upgrade on your own, please explain to me how, from the front panel, you would go about bypassing the rotary sim, or changing the V/C 'vintage' setting.

As for "Cheers" in my sig, it's intended as a friendly signoff, much like "Regards", but less formal. You'll note that I've omitted it for this post. Infer what you will. :rolleyes:

SG

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't even sure what the package did. As previously stated, the site does not contain much detail at all. I thought maybe it enhanced the leslie sim a bit and maybe had some good preset patches.

Sounds to me like there is little benefit in this software even if it is only $40.

BTW: I am currently a fill-on replacement for a band whose last keyboard player toted around a real B3 and 122. The band likes the sound I get from my VK-8 better than what he got from the real thing.

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Originally posted by MidLifeCrisis:

Thanks for the input guys. I wasn't even sure what the package did. As previously stated, the site does not contain much detail at all. I thought maybe it enhanced the leslie sim a bit and maybe had some good preset patches.

Sounds to me like there is little benefit in this software even if it is only $40.

BTW: I am currently a fill-on replacement for a band whose last keyboard player toted around a real B3 and 122. The band likes the sound I get from my VK-8 better than what he got from the real thing.

Is the original keyboard player coming back when his back improves?

Hi Y'all,

I decided to spend the 40 hours with my VK8m rather than spend the $40, mostly because I just want to do all of my own tweaks. By the way, I'm really impressed by how good this little box sounds after tweaking.

I've also noticed a tremondous amount good will, and good vibes in general coming off this site. I really appreciate the help that has been generously offered. Thanks y'all!

Billdar

Originally posted by Byrdman:

Is the original keyboard player coming back when his back improves?

At first I was amazingly surprised at how eager the band was to help me carry in my keyboards and speakers. They seemed overly happy about helping. It didn't take me long to figure things out once I heard what the last guy was toting around.

Just goes to prove once again that it not the gun its the gunner. :D

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Archived