Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Controller Help for a Poor Newb!

Howdy all, I've been playing keyboards for a few years, and I'm finally getting serious with my gear, and trying to learn how to use everything, so I'm sure you'll see me a lot here. Right now, I'm lookin for some help on my hookup.

I've got a JV-1000 which has a MIDI In, Out, and Thru, and I would desperately like to use two MIDI controllers, namely an AX-1 and a M-Audio Keystation 88es, neither of which has a MIDI through. As far as I'm aware, the only way is to daisy chain using MIDI throughs, but there's gotta be a way, otherwise I'm totally bummed about needin a second keyboard to use my AX on stage.

So, while I don't see a way offhand, maybe someone knows better than me, I'm pretty new to MIDI controllers.

Thanks a lot in advance!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the Keyboard Corner. :wave:

If I understand you correctly you want to merge different midi signals and send them into the MIDI in of your JV1000.

Many midi interfaces also allow you merge midi signals. Although they are typically used to connect many synths to a computer, they are also useful to connect many synths to each other.

If you wish to keep things simple and cheap, a Midi Merger may the right tool for you:

http://www.midisolutions.com/products.htm

I've never used one of these, but I have used their breath controller products. And it works well. I think they run about a hundred typically.

But for a couple of hundred used, there are modules available that you can trigger from your AX-1, leaving the Keystation to control the JV.

Best,

Jerry

Ahh, badass, that'll work perfectly. And yes, a module would be better in the long one, but I like having the flexibility of putting my JV sounds wherever I want them. I will definately look into a good module. I've got 'til the 29th to have it all together, so I've got a bit of time to look around. Thanks much!

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

Ahh, badass, that'll work perfectly. And yes, a module would be better in the long run, but I like having the flexibility of putting my JV sounds wherever I want them. I will definately look into a good module. I've got 'til the 29th to have it all together, so I've got a bit of time to look around. Thanks much!

Dick Ward - My Me

• 3 months later...

ALright, so I'm back to this thread, believe it or not, lol. Trying to hide my really dumb question in an old thread. Umm...

If I put something to midi in, I want it to go to the midi through. I also want the midi from the keyboard I'm using to go out to the same source. I ASSUME this is a merger solveable issue as well?

Anyone got a merger they like? I'll order something from midisolutions.com sometime this week. Someone explain why I didn't just do this in the first place?

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Dick Ward:

If I put something to midi in, I want it to go to the midi through.

The device with the midi thru port will do this for you automatically.

I ASSUME this is a merger solveable issue as well?

The MIDI merger will blend the two midi signals together for you. Bear in mind that many 2 by 2 or 4 by 4 midi interface devices can be programmed to do this also.

Jerry

Thanks much tusk. You know, for all the learning I'm doing, I still get confused on really simple stuff. But, ask my band, they'll tell you how much trouble I have walking and thinking at the same time:p

Dick Ward - My Me

Thanks much tusk. You know, for all the learning I'm doing, I still get confused on really simple stuff. But, ask my band, they'll tell you how much trouble I have walking and thinking at the same time:p

There is a fairly simple rule to follow, with MIDI, or audio, or just about anything. You can connect an OUT to multiple IN's, but can't connect multiple OUT's to a single IN. There are lots of exceptions, of course, but it's not a bad rule to follow, at least until you decide your situation is an exception.

So, in your case, your controllers represent OUT's, so can only connect one of them directly to your JV, which is a single IN. However, the MIDI-merger has two IN's so you can connect one of your OUT's to each IN. MIDI-THRU is an OUT, so it can connect to one or more IN, even if that IN is on the same device as one of the previous OUT's. (This last situation is "legal" but may cause another problem - feedback, but that's another subject!)

Hope this helps. :wave:

- Bob

Very much, lol.

I guess I was thinking that thru would send both signals. Since it only acts to tranfer the in to someone else, what really is the point of thru? It seems like I could acheive the same effect with a longer cord... am I confused again or is thru kinda pointless?

Dick Ward - My Me

Very much, lol.

I guess I was thinking that thru would send both signals. Since it only acts to tranfer the in to someone else, what really is the point of thru? It seems like I could acheive the same effect with a longer cord... am I confused again or is thru kinda pointless?

I think THRU always just duplicates whatever is on IN - that may even be part of the MIDI specificaation. This allows "daisy-chaining" - connecting a controller to first one device, then THRU to a second. The idea would be that you would set one MIDI-controlled device to, say, channel 1 and the other to channel 2, then select the device you want to control by changing channels on the controller. The same thing could be accomplished by using a "Y-cable" that connects the output of the controller to both devices directly (one OUT goes to two IN's = *legal*). Actually, there are electrical reasons why a MIDI Y-cable isn't a good idea, solved instead by daisy-chaining.

The MIDI-merge box is necessary to do what you suggest - take the IN signal and combine it with another (probably internally generated) MIDI signal. BTW, some devices DO have that capability built in, but then the merged signal would most likely appear on the MIDI OUT connector, rather than THRU. Confused??

So, to summarize, if a device has all three MIDI connectors - IN-OUT-THRU, it *should* be that IN means IN, THRU just replicates IN, for daisy-chaining more than one device together, and OUT carries the MIDI signals produced by this device (which *may* include merging with IN).

Having said all that, MIDI has been around long enough and has been interpreted differently by each manufacturer that I am sure there are exceptions.

- Bob

Archived