Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Sibelius 4.0 for more than just notation?

Jazz+

Sibelius can be used for composing and arranging, playback, MIDI entry, etc. Can it really do full song production? Will it drive multi-timber MIDI modules? What about drum tracks and syncing with loops?

http://www.sibelius.com/products/sibelius/

From their website:

"Kontakt Player and creating CDs

Sibelius includes Kontakt Player Silver from Native Instruments, which provides high-quality playback of 19 pitched sounds and 100 unpitched percussion sounds (marked * here). You can also buy Kontakt Player Gold, which has 63 pitched sounds & 111 unpitched percussion sounds, covering orchestral, band, jazz etc. - even Bass Clarinet, Flugelhorn, string techniques (e.g. sul ponticello tremolo), male/female voices and choirs, and so on. Extra sound libraries are coming soon.

Sibelius 4 also makes it easy to create CDs and MP3 files for performers and friends, using the high-quality Kontakt Player sounds.

Sample library by Sonic Implants with instruments from Peter Seidlaczek (Best Service), Northstar, Zero-G, Tap Space and Dan Dean Productions."

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've got it. Very easy to use out of the box. I usually use either DP4.6 or Logic 7.1 for writing and then I need to give someone a chart, I'll use Sibelius. This past weekend I did do an arrangement of Windows just using Sibelius with no midi turned on just for the fun of it. It took longer, but I had to do it once.It plays back the parts with the correct instruments that you're writing for. Sounds a bit stiff,but you can at least hear your clams. It wont replace Dp or Logic, but if you need paper, it's a nice program to work in.

I was looking into Sibeluis for the transposing ability. I understand you can take charts, scan them in and the put them in any key you want.

I will soon be working with a chic singer and I imagine I'll have some lead sheets in the wrong key. It would sure save a lot of time if I could scan it and drop it into her key.

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived