Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Trying to teach yourself music

Loufrance

I was wondering if anyone could give some advice to a beggining musician that's try to teach themselves music(Piano/Keyboard playing, Theory, Ear training etc). I have some basic knowledge but so far I haven't had much success. (Please don't tell me to get a music teacher I know it would be much easier if I had one).

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply
(Please don't tell me to get a music teacher I know it would be much easier if I had one).
Do you want good solid advice or just someone do agree with you?

You can teach yourself how to read music and music theory. It really would be best to have someone show you how to actually approach the keyboard. You can always earn more money to pay for everything, but time, once it's wasted or squandered, is gone forever.

Get a teacher.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

I've never had a lesson or a teacher. I did go through the public school program, where I played alto sax, but as far as keys go - nothing. Basicly self taught. Listen as much as you can. Use your ears and play what you hear even if you have to listen to a bar at a time or a half bar. Hear it - play it. Learn to write that down.Play with the best players that will have you. Not everyone has the opportunity to study with someone or go to school,I didn't, but we all have the opportunity to make music. Another thing for you to do is become a regular here. There are a lot of fine players here that will offer up all kinds of info. Some of us are begginers, some have been doing it a while.We meet here to help each other. Welcome to the Corner.

To learn keyboard playing and music in an autodidact way is possible, but it's gonna take you a lot more time.

Buy yourself a couple of good books about beginning on the piano, about learning to read (very important). Ear training is easier and can be done without books.

As usual, D Horne offers sage advice.

Otherwise, the primary thing for any musician is pitch recognition.

Start with what you like to listen to & mix that up with the most simple music you can find. Simplicity is boring but it is key to hearing the bases of things.

Also start with the most basic parts of music. Learn to recognize equivalent pitches & octaves on different instruments, in different ranges & sing them. Learn to match them on instruments.

Next work on 5ths & their inversions, fourths.

Advance through the triad, recognizing how 3rds sound; then on to 7ths, etc.

Always sing along; this not only helps your voice but helps internalize your actual ability to hear accurately.

For the structure of music, notation, the mechanics of playing, etc., there are any number of references & tutorials in book form, software & online & that you could work with & I'll defer to those more current in teaching than I am to make specific suggestions.

It is very good to find people who can offer you some direct guidance based on their experience & observation of your playing, though.

Best are those with knowledge & teaching skills but there must be some musicians that you can work with to some degree & you can learn from observing them, too.

Always watch both for what's good & not-so-good, however.

Loufrance, there was a thread here entitled Correct piano technique. Search for that and take the time to read the entire thread. That might help with how to hold and use your hands etc.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located. There are folks here from all over the world ... you never know who might be your neighbor. Good luck with everything!

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by I & I mjrn:

Dave, how's it feel? :D

Too bad you don't have any mp3's on your website. I'd sure love to hear your take on "In the Wee Small Hours", for example. ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by gangsu:

Originally posted by I & I mjrn:

Dave, how's it feel? :D

Too bad you don't have any mp3's on your website. I'd sure love to hear your take on "In the Wee Small Hours", for example. ;)

Just like Uri Geller, I pay people to say nice and untrue things about me. ;)

I would love to have mp3 files at my web site. I'm looking into buying a digital mixer so I can create my own CDs. I've pretty much narrowed down my choice, now it's just having someone from the US bring it over after I actually buy it; the price difference between the US and Europe is big.

Archived