Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

mic problem on job, solved ... simple solution

Dave Horne

I worked a trio job last night with an additional singer as the fourth person. (Why don't I consider that a quartet? A sax player would have made it a quartet.) Any way, several times during the job the mic didn't work and simply removing the cable from the mic and reattaching it solved the problem.

I don't like to have problems on jobs so as soon as I got home I poured myself a chilled glass of rosé and took the cable and mic apart.

The cable tested perfectly on my tester and looking at the solder connections reassured me that the cable was not the problem unless it was corrosion or a build up on the pins.

I noticed that the connection on the mic where you attach the cable had a slight amount of play. This is basically a thick plastic 'coin' with three pins protruding. The pins had no play, just the mount that they passed through. Could that have been the problem? I cleaned the pins with contact spray and repeatedly attached the cable to the mic. At some point the 'coin' (pin mount) came completely out of the body of the mic. Now I'm thinking, this might have been the problem after all.

My first thought, send it back to Shure and have it repaired, but after thinking for a few minutes, I decided I could fix it myself. It looks like that 'coin' with the pins is just inserted into mic body and there's nothing that holds it in place. My solution, 'crazy glue'. I applied the glue to the edge of the plastic coin and inserted it into the mic body making sure that it was in the correct position (since the cable can only be inserted a specific way). Since there are no moving parts in the mic (from my perspective), it's rather unlikely that the permanent gluing of that pin mount will prove to be a problem in the future. The mic in question is a Shure SM58 and is 15 years old or so.

This morning I hook up the mic, giggle the cord, and everything is working fine. Problem solved.

I don't know whether it was the cleaning of the pins or the gluing of that pin mount, but the problem is solved and it cost just about nothing. The wine was excellent by the way.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dave Horne:

This morning I hook up the mic, giggle the cord, and everything is working fine. Problem solved.

I don't know whether it was the cleaning of the pins or the gluing of that pin mount, but the problem is solved and it cost just about nothing. The wine was excellent by the way.

Well Dave, I'm a-thinkin' that you must have spilled some of the wine on the cord to make it giggle. Probably, after you retired for bed, the cord drank the rest of the wine and busted out into a full guffaw. Who knows, there may have even been a shriek or a whoop... you don't know, now do ya? You were already in bed.

I'm glad you repaired your Shure SM58. Of course, had it been one of those newfangled condenser microphones that are on the market today, you probably would have not had a problem - especially if you used it for recording say piano, acoustic guitar, violins, viola, melodica, etc.

But no worries. It's OK. No one listens to my good advice anyway.

Excuse me. I must get back to work. Today is sheep inventory day and I believe I've lost count.

;):P

PS Know anyone good at hedge-trimming?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

That giggled comment went right by me until I realized what was going on. I guess I shouldn't consider a job as a proofer.

For non-English speaking folks here, I meant jiggled.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

That giggled comment went right by me until I realized what was going on. I guess I shouldn't consider a job as a proofer.

...and all this time I thought you did that for me, Dave.

As particular as you are about music notation, it simply did not occur to me that you didn't intentionally put that there. ;)

:wave:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Archived