Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Light as a feather?

Milt

Hi everybody,

Im a London-based keyboard player. Ive been checking out this forum for a while, but I only just joined.

A couple of years ago, I decided to make a serious effort to scale down my live rig up until that point, I used to take a carful of gear to each gig, including a split Hammond M3. I went with the Hammond XB1 at first, eventually replacing it with a Nord Electro 2 seventy-three, which I think sounds awesome.

I've now slimmed down to the Electro, a shiny new Fantom X6 and a seriously monolithic Ruka stand that keeps everything from bouncing around. I do some live work with a singer/songwriter with a very "produced" sound and I need the Fantom's sampler for the rhythmic loops, heavily treated backing vocals, sound effects, etc.

Last week I had a gig with a different band and the only easy way to get there was by train, so I put the Electro on my back (love that Clavia gig bag!), grabbed my trusty old Yamaha CS2X and was ready to go. The only problem was that I had to rely on the keyboard stand provided by the venue.

This got me thinking if only I had a really lightweight two-tier stand, I could get to gigs on public transport, provided I didnt really need the Fantoms extra capabilities. That could save me a lot of time and money (public transport is the way to go in London!), plus I could enjoy a drink or two after the gig.

Whats the lightest two-tier stand youve come across? The Electro and CS2X weigh about 15Kg, so it doesnt really need to be very heavy-duty.

R.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Steve,

thanks for the welcome. I've been keeping an eye out for one of those stands for a while now, but I've never come across one here in the UK.

Does anyone have much experience of K&M stands? This one seems incredibly light. How much does a two-tier Invisible Stand weigh?

R.

YOu'll need to find a used Invisible stand. They set up in 2 minutes or less, yet fold down into a bag the size of an art portfolio, and weigh less than 15lbs in the bag. Get a bag from www.mooradian.com and it comes with a shoulder/back strap. The bad news: you'll find the stand for around $50us, and you'll pay about $180 for the bag!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Archived