Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Big Changes

Dave Pierce

Some big changes are happening in my musical life, just wanted to share with you guys.

Ritmo (the Santana tribute band) has broken up. :( As the new guy, I don't really know what personal issues led to this, but the band is dis-banding. It was all handled very professionally and with zero drama, very much to the credit of the members. We did our last gig on Sunday and smoked the hell out of the place! :D I'm sad because it was a really fun project with excellent musicians. But at the same time I have to admit that I was bound to get sick of the "all Santana, all the time" format sooner or later. I might have been good for another festival season or two, but I certainly wouldn't have lasted forever with it.

At the same time, I have informed my band mates in That Seventies Band that I will do the rest of the gigs on the current calendar, but that I'm done after that.

Why, you ask?

Because I'm joining a new project! The ex-leader of Ritmo is starting a new band with several members of one of the top local bands here. We're going to do a mix of old-school and latin. It should really be a blast. We've had two rehearsals now, and it's definitely the best ensemble in terms of musicianship that I've ever played with.

It should be an exciting time for the next few months as we get this thing rolling. Kinda scary too, though...

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear about the Ritmo breakup....I never did get to see you guys! :(

You no doubt have a very decent selection of Santana stuff in your portfolio now - that's not too shabby a thing to walk away with IMO.

The new band sounds like fun. What's it going to be called - any idea yet? Let us locals know where/when you'll be playing....you never know, we might just turn up one day :)

Cheers,

:DTR

Originally posted by Dave, the Rave:

You no doubt have a very decent selection of Santana stuff in your portfolio now - that's not too shabby a thing to walk away with IMO.

Straight up! I was at a jam a couple of months ago and some guitar player asked if I knew any Santana. It was very cool to be able to say, "Just call the tune, dude. I'm there." :D

No name for the new project yet. I'll definitely keep you guys posted, though.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Dave the Rave, what's that in your avatar? Don't mean to derail the thread, but I'm always on the lookout for rare and interesting stuff for Keyboard Of The Month and you and I both live in San Jose. . . . Is that almost-identifiable thing something you own? I'm guessing a Crumar? It's not a Gleeman is it?

And Dave Pierce, shout out the first local gig and maybe Ern and I will drop by and check y'all out.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Originally posted by Ken Hughes:

Dave the Rave, what's that in your avatar? ...

Don't mean to derail the thread too, but I was wondering the same thing. Of course, I figured I would be the only one in the board who WOULDN'T know what it was, so I was resigned to stay quiet. Until I saw Ken's post. :D

To stay on topic...Sorry to hear about the Breakup of your band, Dave, but it looks like you're rebounding nicely. Best of luck & keep us posted!

Check out my band's site at:

The Key Components!

First off, sorry Dave P., we seem to have derailed your thread!

The synth is indeed an E&MM Spectrum Synthesizer - you have very good eyes ABECK! I won't say too much about it here....don't want to spoil Ken's scoop! It's a fairly good mono synth that was offered in kit form by a company called Maplin Electronic Supplies in England in the early 1980's. I built it in 1983 and have had it lying around ever since.

Ken, you're more than welcome to come and have a look at/go on it, and, if you still think it's worthy, take some piccies and do a write up. PM me to arrange.

...and now, back to your normal programming....

Cheers,

:DTR

Sounds like things turned out well Dave, though I think being in a Santana tribute band, even for a few months, would be a dream. I don't know if I would prefer to play keyboards or congas. Probably keyboards. Even though I have a pair of LP's and a Roland handsonic, my percussion chops have degraded in the last 20 years.

Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Glad you had the experience of doing a lot of Santana. Some years ago, I played with a group that did about 40% Santana music. We did everything from Soul Sacrifice to Incident at Neshabur. Also did a few songs off the Borboletta album. Learning to play the songs had a big influence on my technique and style that continues to this day.

Sorry about the break-up, but it sounds like good things will come out of it. :)

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

Yes, life is made of changes; the moment you stop changing you start to die.

Dave, good luck with your future endeavours! :thu:

Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Archived