Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Lexicon MPX-550 vs. TC Electronic M-One XL

loxley11

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i have the TC Electronics M300 which of course is the little brother of the M-ONE

I didnt try the Lexicon, but it seemded most of the reviews I read of the two were far in favor of the M-One/M300

I did compare the M-One and M300 and for my purposes the M-One wasnt worth TWICE the price of the M300,... other then having more paramaters to adjust and a few more effects/reverbs...the biggest difference between the two is the ability to have TWO independant effects at once ..........other then in the M300 where one processor is a dedicated Reverb processor....

for me,.. i mainly wanted the reverb for vocals.. and the extra processor was just a bonus..... i didnt need to spend twice as much for no reason.

ohhh and... the reverb on the M300 is very good... very clean and makes a shmuck like me sound like im either in a studio or at an arena....

the other effects are very decent as well....

ohh one little side note in case this is important...the M300 does NOT have a power switch...so its on all the time..... i switch mine on/off with the power strip i have everything pluged into....

rahter pick up a used MPX-1 . now there's a board that actually sounds like a Lexicon. Its amazing bang-for-the-buck. 550 sounds nothing like it.

if you like TC sound, which is quite different than Lex sound, than again, you might want to take a look at used M2000. much better, more versatile etc.

i usually avoid lo end models with latest flashy features. they are lo end all step of the way. always better to buy a "yesterday's" mid or high end model instead IME.

anyway, you didnt specify, but if you're after rev/delay for synths then i'd suggest sticking with Lexicon..

my 0.02

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

• 4 months later...

well, clusterchord, it's 5 months later and I've finally taken your advice. MPX-1 sounds great but I noticed one thing yesterday. (I run the aux1 and aux2 lines of my Yamaha MG12/4 mixer into the left and right channels, and return through the aux returns). When I run a signal through the unit, even with all the effects blocks turned off, I hear a very distinct distortion, giving everything a hollow, square-waveish sort of sound. Which leads me to believe there's some clipping going on somewhere, but I'm by no means an audio engineer, so I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this problem and how to troubleshoot it.

thanks,

loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

When you talk about a hollow sound I don't know if that is distortion, especially if your level LEDs don't show your input level is clipping. The problem may be the processing delay that is added by the MPX and then gets mixed back with your original sound. That causes a static flanger type effect, and if the sound gets inverted at any point, it will sound hollow. I have a Boss SX-700 that gives me a really unnatural hollow sound when I turn off all of the effects. Try to run a sound straight into the MPX rather than through your mixer aux lines and see if the hollow sound goes away.

-Elhardt

elhardt, you were right. When I connected my board straight through the Lexicon into the mixer, it sounded fine. I guess it's some sort of phase problem, since there are two signals running through the mixer simultaneously. Is there any way I can get around this problem so that I can control the wet/dry mix, and run more than one instrument thru it?

Drew

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

Archived