Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Eureka! (clonewheel accuracy)

Jon Doe

I've done it!

I spent the whole morning tweaking settings on my V-Combo and have absolutely NAILED my C2. I mean 99.9% NAILED.

I know you guys might think I'm nuts, but I swear it's true.

Here's my studio setup:

http://www.wornfedora.com/phpatm/files/JonDoe/Big-Rig.JPG

By tweaking COSM amps, mic distances, leakage, rise/fall times, and rotary speeds, I have my V-Combo tuned so that side by side like this they sound almost identical.

I am now absolutely blown away by my Roland's organ sound now. This is something I've promised myself I'd take the time to work out, and now that I've done it I could just kick my own ass for not doing it sooner.

No signature required.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by b_3guy:

Neato! I have a VK-8. So what are your settings?

Tonewheel = Vintage 2
Amp Type = 2

Leakage = 80 <- perfect match for my C2

Rotary spread = 10  for both

------------- WF - TW
Rotary Level 127 - 100 <- Max the woofer!
Rise Time -- 80 - 100
Fall time -- 82 - 110
Rot Speed SL- 12 - 14
Rot Speed FST 110 - 120

Rotary Mic Distance = 0

I'm going stereo to my KC550. Good luck with it.

No signature required.

This, of course, is with drawbar registrations on both organs set the same.

I'm so tickled I could pee. You can't beat having a Hammond sitting right beside you while you tweak this stuff, and being able to stack a KC550 on top of a Leslie is a big plus too.

No signature required.

Originally posted by Jon Doe:

I've done it!

I spent the whole morning tweaking settings on my V-Combo and have absolutely NAILED my C2. I mean 99.9% NAILED.

I know you guys might think I'm nuts, but I swear it's true.

Here's my studio setup:

http://www.wornfedora.com/phpatm/files/JonDoe/Big-Rig.JPG

By tweaking COSM amps, mic distances, leakage, rise/fall times, and rotary speeds, I have my V-Combo tuned so that side by side like this they sound almost identical.

I am now absolutely blown away by my Roland's organ sound now. This is something I've promised myself I'd take the time to work out, and now that I've done it I could just kick my own ass for not doing it sooner.

That's really neat. Going to have to try them on my VK8.

Anybody have a editor program for this - hacking the VK8 using the interface is not terribly simple.

John

That's wonderful. I am hoping to get my VK-8m soon. I'll be sure to check out your settings...

aL

PS: You might want to be careful with the halogen lamp being so close to the curtains in that room!!! I'd put it in the corner if I were you. They've been known to set a few rooms on fire....

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

Originally posted by Immo:

Is that a keytar on the top tier? :eek:

No. That's a "Freeboard". It's a midi keyboard you strap on similar to an accordian but more horizontal and you're free to move about the stage/room. It's wireless, and has all the synth features but is only practical for righthanded play (unlike the accordian)

A keytar is some weird guitar player concept of how accordians work...

:D

Read this here thread on the subject ...

Actually it's a Roland AX-7 midi controller. In this configuration it does double duty

No signature required.

FWIW, I think it's possible to do this with just about any current clonewheel if you're willing to put the time in. Kudos to you, Byrdman, for actually doing it and bringing to light that it can be done. I think many B-3 heds reject a particular clone because the presets don't sound exactly like the Hammond they own or used to own. I've done the same with a Korg CX-3 and then ported those settings over to a BX-3 sitting at my church.

Technical Editor

Keyboard Magazine

More people pay for Keyboard than any other music-tech magazine. Period.

Yeah, I was amazed to discover that the leakage levels were set to zero and the woofer levels were set less that the tweeter by default. It's like the default setup is a squeaky clean 1975 B3.

I've found settings that work great with mono or stereo so I have a lot of flexibility with my setups.

No signature required.

Quick, call the police - someone stole the pedals!

They just didn't get up and walk away.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Originally posted by Dave Horne:

Quick, call the police - someone stole the pedals!

They just didn't get up and walk away.

I have them for both the Hammond and the V-Combo. I just don't set them up unless I want to use them. I have a PK-5 for the Roland.
No signature required.

Ok, I'm having too much fun now. Once I figured out just what the params were adjusting everything got amazingly clear.

I have now made half a dozen B3 patches that reflect 2 different flavors of the three basic generations of B3. Maybe now I can give the C2 a little rest.

I've come to a gestalt-like conclusion. If you're going to buy a clonewheel keyboard, be prepared to do lots of experimentation and have lots of understanding of the real B3. They're selling you the raw tools, it's up to you to pick how you want the beast to sound.

I made the same basic mistake that lots of people probably do and expected my V-Combo to sound like "that" B3 sound right out of the box like the Electro does.

But now that I've figured this thing out I realize that I can get anyB3 variation out of it.

Now I just wish it could do more than 64 patches ...... :D:cool:

No signature required.

I'm going thru a mixer to a KC550. I got this thing tweaked so that going stereo outs to the KC it sounds like standing next to a 122. When you put on the stereo headphones it sounds just like a 3-mic'ed 122 if you were sitting in the audience.
No signature required.

Originally posted by Ken Hughes:

FWIW, I think it's possible to do this with just about any current clonewheel if you're willing to put the time in. Kudos to you, Byrdman, for actually doing it and bringing to light that it can be done.

Not me - its was John Doe who brought this to our attention.

Archived