Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Motif ES or Colossus?

smk

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my venerable rig: Ensoniq TS-10, TR Rack, JV 1080 and a DM5. Looking to improve the overall sound palatte to do all styles of music, including (and especially) trance, r&b and pop. Like the sounds on the Motif ES, but the song demos on the Colossus seem to be mostly slow pad stuff. Maybe my question is: does the Colossus, as a softsynth, kick ass like I think the Motif ES does as a rompler? Is there any other all-in-one softsynth like the Colossus that I should be taking a look at?

Thanks!

--------------------

Scott

"You only live once..."

Originally posted by smk:

Here's my venerable rig: Ensoniq TS-10, TR Rack, JV 1080 and a DM5. Looking to improve the overall sound palatte to do all styles of music, including (and especially) trance, r&b and pop. Like the sounds on the Motif ES, but the song demos on the Colossus seem to be mostly slow pad stuff. Maybe my question is: does the Colossus, as a softsynth, kick ass like I think the Motif ES does as a rompler? Is there any other all-in-one softsynth like the Colossus that I should be taking a look at?

Thanks!

I also have the TS-10 (ASR-10 rack, also) and various other stuff as well....

Have the Yamaha Motif ES 6 as my second keyboard and really dig it..

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

SMK:

"Most" players pick one platform or the other. There are a few players that can afford to do both, or feel the need to have soft synths and hardware. It depends a lot on you, and what you want to do with what you buy. I have a Motif ES8, and its a great KB. It can do a lot of things, both in a studio or live setting. If you're strictly a studio player, a soft synth setup might serve you very well. If you plan on playing live gigs, you might want to go with hardware. Only you can determine what you need and what you like.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I had this whole big reply earlier, but my browser conked out. In a nutshell:

You have a nice setup, as is, but personally, I'm all about adding more quality and expanding the soundset. That said, if you're satisfied with your synth sounds and such (aka "the spices"), but need SOLID meat and potatoes, Colossus is the way to go. If you need lots of sounds that cover a large base AND sound really good, get ST2XL. If you need that, but really want some solid synths and vintage keys, too, SonikSynth 2 could be your ticket. You could also get both SS2 and ST2 for just over half of the cost of Colossus and have over 6,000 sounds at your disposal. Make no mistake, though, Colossus is worth the money. There's also Hypersonic to consider, but I have yet to be won over by that.

Best thing is to get SS2 Free and ST2 Free and try them out. Also, go ahead and check out Hypersonic's demos. I use ST2XL and have loaded SSFree's sounds in there (I also plan on picking up the full version in the near future), and it's killer. My music is all over the board, and ST2 fills those needs nicely.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

BTW, the ES is a NICE piece. I use both hardware and software. To put how much I like ST2 in perspective, I had my eyes set squarely on getting the Fantom XR soon after it came out. After using ST1 for a while, then ST2Free, I felt that ST2XL would service my needs. And after a good many months, though I still want an XR, I'm in no rush at all.

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

You DONT need all that stuff. lol. ;)

Trance, R&B and pop : Reason with some refills will do the job. The refills are not that expensive and you get your money's worth.

I say go with reason.

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

Archived