Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anybody tried both the RD700SX and the Promega 3?

MonSound

Originally posted by iLaw:

Originally posted by gangsu:

... How about the Kurzweil, does it come with a harp? ...

The Stereo Harp preset on the Kurzweil PC2 Orchestral Expansion ROM actually got me two jobs all by itself!

A singer heard me using it in a church service and asked me to use it backing him up in a concert setting. Which led to a video producer who needed harp in the background on a video.

One ROM preset paid for the ROM, plus a bit.

Larry.

Larry,

What about glissandos on the Kurzweil harp - are they convincing? When you emulate a harp, what techniques to you have to consider to sound realistic?

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MONSOUND! I think maybe you're the 19th person in NA to own a promega. You'll not regret it. :)

The harp thing is easy. Send all your energy to your fingertips, don't hang around on the keys, just pull all those lovely sounds out into the hall in great sweeping motions, :rolleyes: , it also helps to have a legit harpscore. ;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I received my Promega 3 yesterday. The guy in Germany who I bought it from was great, so this was a very pleasant E-bay experience. The Promega was in absolutely top condition, you couldn't see it had been used.

This board is a beast. It is very heavy. I'm not taking it anywhere, so this is not a problem for me. But it is definately the heaviest stagepiano I've ever tested. The look is actually quite nice, it's much nicer in reality than on pictures...

So, I started testing the sound of the beast... I never came further than the first preset that evening. What can I say, I just kept sitting there making harmonies, dreaming away, and forgetting everything around me. I played stuff I knewer knew I could play before... Well, as you probably can guess I'm impressed. It's something with this board that makes you forget to listen critically and analyze the sound, you just keep playing and enjoying yourself and before you know it's midnight and you have to get up early the next day... This was even before I discovered the Fazioli preset...

So, I'm actually happy that I took the chance and went for the Promega. I'm not in any way a professional, not even an advanced amateur, I just play to enjoy myself. I have never played an actual Steinway or Fazioli, and my opinions are in no way to be taken as expert opinions. But from my humble view, I have never tried any instrument which made me enjoy my own music as much as this board does.

I purchased a Korg DS-1H pedal, but there's no way I can get this to work with the Promega. I tried a Yamaha pedal from a friend, and this works fine, but the korg pedal is not even recognised by the system (no DAM in the menu). I guess I will have to return it and get something which works. Shame, because the korg pedal had this half-pedal feature, and was quite affordable.

Then, thanks to everybody who gave me their advice on this forum, you set me on the right track. Thanks also to Dave, for making some great videos which were actually one of the deciding factors when I made my purchase, and for providing a lot of useful information on this forum. I look forward to many fine hours with my Promega...

Nice! I'm currently going through keyboard withdrawal as I wait for the shop to install the new OS on it as they procrastinated in getting the proper cable.

If anyone gets the OS, order the GEM serial cable before you bring it into the shop or want to do it yourself.

Originally posted by MonSound:

Well, I received my Promega 3 yesterday.

Hi MonSound,

I am very glad you like the Promega 3. If you have any operational questions, please feel free to ask here on the forum or by sending an e-mail to me (address is in my profile).

Also thanks for mentioning my on-line videos.

Best Regards,

Dave

P.S. Try to take a break from playing every now and then and get some sleep. I would hate to be responsible for you being late to work. :)

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Hi MonSound! Wait til you've had your promega for a while. If you find yourself having to play on a different digital, you'll panic and double check that you've actually selected the "piano" preset. ;):thu:
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Archived