Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha StagePAS 300

ELP71

Originally posted by stormrider:

maybe there is a way to turn the fan off if no full power is used?

Maybe, but I would say it's a risky operation. The component semiconductors' are designed to work optimally within a certain range of temperatures... Any change in those conditions may have unexpected consequences. With the fan always on, the temperature is rather low, I think.

Personally I have no problems with the fan, either in rehersals or live acts, I really forget it's there. But I can understand others' opinion may differ from mine.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are some pictures that I hope will allow to compare relative sizes of a 61 key keyboard, the StagePas' speakers and the corresponding carry case. You can also see the small Roland subwoofer (KCW-1). Sorry for taking so long to post these pictures.

http://www.ipb.pt/~matias/kc/stagepas1.jpg

http://www.ipb.pt/~matias/kc/stagepas2.jpg

http://www.ipb.pt/~matias/kc/stagepas3.jpg

I have a PA crisis myself, and the StagePAS 300 is "in the mix," so to speak.

I need a rehearsal PA fast for my new combo--an original "chamber pop" outfit built on a 2 acoustic guitar platform but also involving drums and electric bass. For rehearsals the Yamaha looks sufficient.

For small gigs, I have my concerns. I'd be asking it to handle 2 acoustic guitars and three vocal mics...

Also, I'm concerned that it's not really a base system that you can build off of--for example, adding more power when you need it. It seems pretty self contained to me.

The price is right, though, and people seem to rave about the sound.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Might actually be easier to carry without the case actually. Or use any existing soft luggage. From my memory, the width of the case was no bigger than carry on size luggage. The weight of each individual speaker is practically nothing. Don't know why a case is even necessary. The mixer and cables store in the speaker itself.

Hamburg Steinway O, Crumar Mojo, Nord Electro 4 HP 73, EV ZXA1

thanks route 66

that helps a lot

they look quite small in the case when put in perspective with your keyboard

will check em out and see if australia gets the case

but as the other said it may indeed fit into existing luggage too which are very cheap even here

thanks again route 66

yes jazzwee i still like the idea of individual cases or even just slip on covers then the speakers could be carried one in each hand

although route 66's setup looks compact enough and i can imagine rather easy to move once removed from car.

the problem is like you said the cases are rather expensive just to have a brand name on

and there are so many lightweight luggage options which may indeed fit

either way i think a nice portable option.

good one yamaha.even the price is reasonable i think.

You're welcome, aussiekeys.

Sure, a normal luggage bag (or two of them) will do the job for a bit less money. I agree with delirium: the brand signature should take a percentage of the price, but this bag is ideally suited for the system with sufficient protective foam and the wheels make it effortless to transport. I thought it was worth the extra dollars. The main reasons for buying the case, were essentially that it protects my investment (better resale value) and for the kind of car I have and my own way of transporting the equipment, I prefer to carry all the weight in one volume only, on wheels.

Jazzwee, yes you can store the cables (a power cable and two jack/jack cables) inside the speakers. However, as I bring other cables to connect the subwoofer (power + 2xjack/jack) and longer cables to be able to increase the distance between sound source and speakers (better resistance to feedback), I appreciate the extra storage space in the bag. Of course, this is my particular situation.

I agree this system was not conceived thinking in future expansions, it's essentially a very small system, with a very good sound for a very interesting price. With the sub, I get a total of 500W, which is very reasonable for my applications.

Originally posted by AUSSIEKEYS:

jazzwee

couldnt take my eyes off your avatar

although he did.

Aussiekeys, that's me arguing about music theory with someone in this forum ;)

Route66, what sub do you use? And the rest of the range are fine on the Stagepas? What type of music do you play?

edit -- I see you use a Roland KCW-1 sub

Originally posted by Jazzwee:

jazzwee

couldnt take my eyes off your avatar

although he did.

Aussiekeys, that's me arguing about music theory with someone in this forum ;)

Route66, what sub do you use? And the rest of the range are fine on the Stagepas? What type of music do you play?

edit -- I see you use a Roland KCW-1 sub

The only range I miss with the StagePas is bass, the rest of the range is fine. On the Roland sub there's a cutoff frequency knob, so you can ajust it to match the frequency range of the main speakers.

I'm mainly an entertainer, playing pop, bossanova, classical dance styles. For that I use an arranger keyboard. I also play in a duo with a guitarrist. We play Cat Stevens, Pink Floyd, Tom Jobim, Eric Clapton, some portuguese pop music, etc...

:Hi everyone. I'm a new member from UK. Bought the Stagepass a few months ago, and gig'ed it with a full on 12-piece funk band. (horns percussion, sometimes 2 guitars, bass, drums, backing vocals etc) Plenty of welly and enough lows without any extra sub. I use an Electro 73 and Fantom-X 6 with a Proel apex stand. The Stagepass lies under the stand angled up on the wedge part which gives enough clearance to get past the bottom of the boards, so they point up at me, and give a great stereo picture. Everyone else in the band can't believe how great they sound. Hope this gives you enough info about how brilliant they are. Sorry I can't give you any pics (totally blind muso).

Cheers

Thuy

great guys thats impressive

and welcome Thuy,sounds like you have put it thru the ringer in your situiationb...good to hear Thuy

jazzwee said

"Aussiekeys, that's me arguing about music theory with someone in this forum "

gee Id love to go back thru the forum threads to see who has done this to you....a few come to mind.....but they shall remain nameless lol.

great avatar...evil evil evil

lucky you didnt use a piano keyboard instead of a computer keyboard cause Im sure those same people would have blamed your actions on your RS piano [whoops a double joke RS tee hee]

long live the casios.[RS's DP 4073 and privias]

great guys thats impressive

and welcome Thuy,sounds like you have put it thru the ringer in your situiationb...good to hear Thuy

jazzwee said

"Aussiekeys, that's me arguing about music theory with someone in this forum "

gee Id love to go back thru the forum threads to see who has done this to you....a few come to mind.....but they shall remain nameless lol.

I guess that was me who forced Jazzwee to bloody his keyboard and commit finally seppuku :D
♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

• 3 months later...

Hi folks,

Way way late on this thread, as I found it whilst searching for info on the Roland SA-300

Having read the thread, here's my two-pennyworth...

I use two amps for different sorts of gigs - one is the Roland KC350 and the other is the Stagepas300. I thought I'd add my experience with the latter which all be it bellatedly may answer a few issues here....

1) The sound quality from the Stagepas is surprisingly good for such small cones. Good frequency range and surprisingly good bass from a smaller cone.

2) Fan noise for me has never been an issue - even when used at home, it's barely audible. I wouldn't even consider trying to somehow disable the fan - it's obviously there for a reason.

3) Someone here mentioned that the speakers peak easily - he/she is right - they do. It doesn't take much to get the max output from this system.

4) Portability is great. Don't worry about the speaker adaptors if you are using stands. Leave the adaptors on full time. Makes no difference if you are using the carry case for transport or not.

5) Having said that, I'd say the carry case is essential if you want your cabs to stay scratch free. The material used is fragile, and not repairable. Spare parts have to be flown in from Japan, particularly if it's the front or rear cab section that needs replacing, so you'll want to protect your investment.

6) Stagepas system good for small to medium gigs only. When the volume goes up in medium gigs, the Stagepas struggles where my Roland KC350 doesn't.

Finally - anyone in the UK on this forum own a Roland SA-300 system - if so, any good and where the hell did you get it from??!!!!! Can hardly find it in stores over here!

I found the lost chord

loveclose, if you do a search, you'll see I bought one of these and I have some EQ problems with the sound. I compensate by adjusting the EQ at the source. That to me is the biggest issue with this.

mine didn't convince me at all until I hook up a couple of yamaha msr100 , then I got an impressive sound, I tried with a powered subwoofer as well with pretty good results. In my opinion and not just because I'm a demanding person, bass on stagepas 300 is not enough for me, regarding mid, and highs these really sounded great. The combination mentioned above would get you a killer sound, but it won't be portable anymore.just my 2 cents.

Those music awards didn't single out a particular purpose. My complaint about the Stagepas is its use for Keyboards. It may be fine as a Vocalist PA or guitar PA.

I agree that it may need a subwoofer and that would improve the sound. The sound quality coming out of the Stagepas was a different EQ effect than that coming out my headphones so I don't like the EQ distortion going on, particularly for an acoustic piano sound.

I'd need to listen out for the EQ distortion - to be honest I've not noticed it too much for smaller gigs - but it's definitely there for the larger gigs when the volume goes up.

Not sure about the bass issue - I hooked up my keyboard right next to a Bluthner grand piano that my mum owns. I specifically compared the bass notes of the live accoustic piano to those coming out of the Stagepas. It was pretty close....

Having said that, I'd agree that taste is everything, and some gigs require a good beefy sound on the bass register of the keyboard.

The larger cone of the Roland amp I use definitely projects the sound better for a larger venue, and the bass is definitely more substantial if substantial bass is required. Also the three way eq on the Roland is better.

I've used both systems regularly, and find good useage for both of my amps. The only reason I wanted the Stagepas is it offered a true stereo pa which I think is essential for keyboard sounds. I've yet to find a really good stereo keyboard amp for this purpose, so if anyone has any further recommendations, I'd be really interested to hear of them.

The SA-300 is on paper a stereo amp, but I'm not sure that there will be good stereo spacing with the single cab - even though there are two cones inside.

Haven't connected any subwoofer to the Stagepas yet - didn't notice a sub-woofer out either, so I'm presuming folk who use a SW with the Stagepas are using the mono line-out??

I found the lost chord

now back on topic

by coincidence a few days ago I got up and personal with the stagepas in a music shop.

They tried to pass off a CD as a demo....gee I hate that.

After convincing them to at least play a midifile thru it I got an indication of its abilities.

Unfortunately even though they had probably 20 keyboards present they were not clued in enough to have anything setup close enough to try it out...everything was virtually tied in to a location.

After waiting half an hour for a demo with a midi file player I didnt ask to try a keyboard as I was almost running late for a first date,but no first date is complete without a trip to that dates local music shop.

Needless to say I was comfortable with the performance of the stagepas on midifiles...but the rest I dont know.And vocals are very important to me.Even more than piano...but it seems that vocals are no probs and that piano may be its achilles heel.

Fortunately in the intrim I've been making do for small gigs that are not crucial...ie parties,practise etc..with an old HH head with built in mixer and 2 peavey folbacks those in the moulded plastic enclosure. ie..Snap together.

Funnily these have worked out fine even filling a large Chinese Restaurant I played at after deciding I didnt want to patch into the DJ's gear for simplicity of control. Luckily I took them incase the DJ's gear was inappropriate and as It was he packed up early and I finished up the night.

I'm still in awe at my simple arrangement.Peaveys/the worlds first moulded enclosures and amazingly they did Ok.

But still looking...slowly.

For large gigs Im happy with 2 Quest 250 watt passive speakers and Behringer head.But dont want to carry these to smaller gigs or practise...and parties I like to be light too,

this reactivation of the thread has highlighted the fact that jazzwee has changed he's avatar.

Aussiekeys, maybe I'll need to put that old Avatar back (I changed it since this thread) :D --- just for Delirium ;)

Archived