Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Football 2005

Dave Bryce

Steadyb:

I was avoiding using the term "jock strap".

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mark my words, Jordan will be one of the top backs in the NFL next year."

I would be careful with statements like that. The AFC west is a running division and ball control is important. The problem is the raiders don't really have much in the way of a linebacking corps. one great corner and a solid center of the defensive line. The defense needs a lot of work and also needs some serious depth if the raiders want to maintain a lead in a game. if they have to play from behind a lot (my personal preference for them) there won't be a lot of running yuards available. Personally I think i would rather see him than wheatley. Wheatley just wears a defense down and I never understood why they didn't use him more.

Reach out and grab a clue.

Something Vicious

My solo crap

Originally posted by The Thrashole:

The problem is the raiders don't really have much in the way of a linebacking corps. one great corner and a solid center of the defensive line. The defense needs a lot of work and also needs some serious depth if the raiders want to maintain a lead in a game.

Exactly. I'm psyched to see both Moss and Jordan put on the silver and black, but having to release Wheatley was a price that may prove to be a problem down the road. It's great to have a strong offense, but it's defense that wins games and the Raiders defense pretty much stunk it up last year. So far, I haven't seen anything that looks to be an action that will improve things on defense this year.

In other news, it looks like the Pats swapped Law for Starks. Given Law's injuries last year, that should be a boost for the corners and take away yet another "weakness." :rolleyes:

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Jeff:

I think he deserves a chance to start. I hope they can protect him and his thumb is healed. Otherwise, it will get ugly, FAST.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Wow, all commentary I had heard had Warner going to the Bears.

...Meanwhile, Buress to meet with the Giants, who have already been quite busy. I have mixed feelings abouot tying up a lot of your resources in a wide receiver. It's unpatriotic, if you catch my drift. But if it happens, bring it on.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

NFL-Not For Long department-Former Penn State 2000 first round pick and Cleveland Browns injury-plagued defensive end Courtney Brown will be released on Monday by the Browns if the club is unable to restructure the former No. 1 overall draft pick's contract. Brown, who missed the final 14 games last season after undergoing foot surgery, is due a $2.5 million roster bonus on Tuesday. Injuries have severely limited Brown's playing time and production as a pass-rusher. He has played in only 47 games during his five seasons and has totaled just 17 sacks. His injuries have included a torn knee ligament, a high ankle sprain, micro fracture knee surgery and a ruptured right biceps tendon. Brown may end up back with the Browns, provided he takes a serious pay cut. You get paid to play my friend. :(

Former Steelers wide receiver Plaxico Burress is finding the free agency market for his services luke warm, at best. Last week the Giants had Burress in for a visit and he did not make a strong impression by calling in sick for his first scheduled meeting, then arriving late on Wednesday evening. Burress also angered the Giants by refusing to take a physical examination. The Giants did raise the ante by offering a six-year, $24 million contract that included a two-tiered bonus totaling $8 million. Burress and his now former agent, Harrison, were initially seeking $30 million with a bonus of $12 million. In Plexs bid for the kind of money the top wideouts get, Plexigas failed to impress. His give me the money I deserve attitude without the stats to back it up isnt working. He should take the deal while there are still teams desperate enough to pay him those kinda bucks. Duh. :rolleyes:

When is it time to quit department-The San Diego Chargers released Doug Flutie on Friday, the latest move in the quarterback's roundabout 20-year career that has taken him through eight teams in three professional leagues. The 42-year-old Flutie will always be remembered for the "Hail Mary" pass against Miami that helped him win the 1984 Heisman Trophy with Boston College. While that play earned him legendary status that lingers to this day, he struggled for success in the NFL because there were always questions about his 5-foot-10 size. Flutie still wants to play football, as well as play drums in his brother's band. It might be time to stick with the drums now Doug. :)

Mike T.

The Raiders have made a couple of nice signings so far, but I think they need a coach more than anything else. I just don't think Norv Turner has what it takes to be a head coach in this league. He just seems like he has that deer in the headlights look to him.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

Originally posted by E-money:

The Raiders have made a couple of nice signings so far, but I think they need a coach more than anything else. I just don't think Norv Turner has what it takes to be a head coach in this league. He just seems like he has that deer in the headlights look to him.

I'm sad to say that I agree with this...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I'm going to give Norv another chance to impress me in some way this year... I haven't written him off just yet.

On paper, the Raiders are one of (if not THE) most mproved team this offseason so far. If Norv can't take them to at least 8 or 9 wins in '05, he'll be gone when we're having this same offseason conversation next year.

- Jeff

I really hope that Norv Turner does well with the Raiders. Al Davis can't be the greatest guy to work for. I think low key guys work better for Al, he doesn't like to be upstaged. I guess John Madden was the exception to that rule.

Norv is one of the truly nice people in football. I think he got a shitty deal in Miami. As they say, the NFL stands for NOT FOR LONG.

Mike T.

I wonder how long the honeymoon will last. Burress likes to loaf. From what I can see, that's one of the only things he has in common with Randy Moss. Plex better hang onto the ball or he won't hang onto that contract, the Giants have put together a good receiving group. NY is a tough town, maybe not as tough as Philly, and for sure, not in the same "league" as the Eagles. :) Good luck Plex, you're probably going to need it. :D

Mike T.

I missed this story last week:

Brett Favre To Return To Packers In 2005

According to the article, Favre was waiting to see how his wife, Deanna, was doing in her cancer treatment before committing to another season. Fortunately, she seems to be faring well.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm guardedly happy. Giants GM Ernie Acorsi has been aggressive this offseason. He was cap smart and, clearly, he wants to win now. He addressed most of our blatant needs, but you never know how these things are going to work out. We still need more skilled beef (ummmmm, skilled beef) on the O line, even after signing the Jets guy. McKenzie.

Cleary, the NFL had a message for Burress: you are not Randy Moss. You are not even Mushein Mohammed. Not that that's a bad thing...

Mike: If Toomer can reboubd from his worst season ever, if Shockey can open his hands and shut his mouth, if Carter and Nelson can stay on the field for more than a week (and I've just about given up on Tim Carter), and if Burress can live up to his fairly modest hype, THEN the NYG have a formidable recweiving corps. ;)

Magpel:

I didn't follow the Giants very closely this year, only got to see a few games in passing or replays. That doesn't qualify me for much of anything. But on paper, the potential for an improved receiving corp is there. Eli will be better this year, provided the OL can block for him and give him some time to get his feet set. The key is having mulitple threats. Burress was more effective when Ward was being double teamed, obviously.The folks in Steel town aren't crying all that much about Burress leaving, we didn't feel he could be counted on to make a play with the game on the line. He has some ability, but hasn't been consistent. Work ethic is poor. I doubt the NY fans are going to put up with that. I do wish him luck though, I'd like to see the Giants be competitive.

Mike T.

• 2 weeks later...

with all due respect to my fellow G-fan Antimatter, RON DAYNE IS A MARSHMALLOW!

Mike, I'm with you. Plax has never donw anything to put himself on the elite level of NFL receivers, except be big. I'd have prefered Mason from the Titans, truth be told. Where did he end up?

Magpel:

I think you're right about Ron Dayne. He doesn't have any real break away speed, he's not real big and strong like some backs. He's best at a running a lot of short running plays where you need a journeyman back that isn't a game breaker, but is dependable.

Plax is a legend in his own mind. The Steelers never ever made him a bonifide offer. NY paid too much for him. I hope he does better in NY, not for his sake, but for the Giants.

Mason signed a five year deal with the Ravens. I agree, he's a good one. He's a 9 year pro and still has gas in the tank.

Mike T.

One theory has it that Dayne "blew his wad" (sorry :freak: ) in college, at Wisconsin. I believe he is the NCAA's all-time leader in carries.

Someone produced some stats once showing that an excess of carries in college has often led to poor NFL showings, just like the stat linking arm problems in pitchers to excessive innings pitched before the age of 25. It's a developmental thing. Too much abuse too early.

Dayne looks like he should run like Bettis but has obvioulsy modeled his game after Barry Sanders. He is simply the worst short yardage back I've ever seen, and while he is elusive for a big guy, that's a big but, a big butt, well, you know what I mean. No one really needs an elusive 250 pounder.

He's no Earl Campbell.

All that said, he seems like a nice guy, and I feel sorry fore the way his career seems to be panning out.

It could be that Dayne doesn't get his shoulders squared to the line of scrimmage before he tries to head up field. Chuckin' and duckin' is best left to the smaller speed backs. He's easier to tackle at an angle before he gets up a head of steam.

Mike T.

See, I think Shanahan thinks he can solve the Dayne dilemma. If Ron can't do it this year, his NFL career is done. We can add him to the list of Round 1 flops Magpel. See, we don't have to worry about that this year. :D

What's really eating at me are the steroid issues creeping up. The 60 Minutes thing (I didn't see it) supposedly reported Carolina punter Todd Sauerbrun was taking the same steroid that Ben Johnson used. The punter? I really hope they beef up the testing, pun intended. The use of steroids would explain the freaky injuries and how today's defensive ends are as fast as last generation's running backs.

I was always under the impression that the NFL was tops in Sports for testing. I hope Tagliabue and crew can make that a reality. It'll be good for everybody.

Steroids have been a problem for a long time. Any time a player can get an edge, he'll do it if he thinks he can get away with it. One of the problems with injuries is players are bigger and faster than ever, and I wonder if the joints that God gave us were meant to carry all that weight and muscle mass. Not to mention that the knee only bends one way.

Mike T.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, get this...

Dave-G just called me and told me that former Raiders kicker Cole Ford was arrested a few months ago for firing a shotgun at Siegfried and Roy's house in Vegas. I checked and he\'s right .

Guess that means that Janikowski is the second strangest Raiders kicker... :freak:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Yeah, apparently his in an insane asylum now. From what I heard, he thinks that all the evils of the world can be traced to how the dynamic duo treat and keep animals.

Ooo-kay....

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

• 2 weeks later...

The NFL's 10 biggest draft busts....you got to read this article. Two of the top 10 are from my illustrious neighbor Penn State. (I'm 10 miles from Penn State's Beaver Stadium) Penn State has fallen on tough football times in recent years, and has long since flunked the NFL's test for skilled position players....but linebackers?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3542822?GT1=6428

Enjoy.

Mike T.

Archived