Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha Motif ES8 vs Korg Triton Extreme 88 key

Nu Soul Bro

Hi y'all, Im a bit new to all this keyboard stuff and so need some of ur masterfull advice. I have been saving for a long time and have decided to buy a second hand keyboard.

Before anyone says anything, I WENT to the shop to try each of the main ones I was thinking of out

(roland fantom X8, Motif Es8, Korg extreame 88key)

Overall I liked the motifes the best. Now I am looking foer a keyboard and have found a motif es8 for a mimimum of £1400 (auction) and a korg extreame 88 for atleasst £1200 (auction). Both were bought just before chrismas 04.

More than £1400 is streaching my budget a little bit and I just wondered if it was worth seriously considering the korg?

If this helps a little I am in a jazz funk band + a rock funk band and a nu soul band (jazz and soul) , which would be more suited to this types of music?

Overall pleas can you give your oppinion on what to do?

Please it would be a huge help!!!!!!!!

thanks everyone!!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the kind of music you're doing, you probably want good piano and great EP's... do you also need to play brass (I'm in a funk band; we have a sax player, but I add the rest of the horn section). If so, the Mo is probably a better choice. If you think you'll be doing more synth, techno, house... stuff, the Korg is better there.

Both are workstations... they can sample and have full-blown sequencers in them. If you don't need the sampling, or a recording sequencer, then you might be able to get away with a Yamaha S-90. It has the same piano as the Mo8ES... has some of the best EP's you'll find... and can do a pretty good job at brass. It has three expansion slots for PLG boards, like the MoES. It has a sequence player - you just need to create sequences on a computer (there's good, low-cost software...even freeware...for that). It'll be cheaper and about 10 pounds lighter. I have a Mo8ES at home and gig with an S-90.

Kurzweil PC4; Yamaha P515; EV ZXA1s

This is a pretty subjective topic and you will find opinions all over the place. Some people dig Yamaha, others enjoy Roland and still others like Korg. I have owned and continue to own something from all of the "Big 3" keyboard manufacturers. Currently, my favorite 88-note keyboard for gigging is the Yamaha S90. I seriously considered (and still lust after) the Motif ES8, but I really did not have much need for the sampling or sequencing. Nor did I prefer to tote around the heavier and larger board.

You should do a search to find out more details in this forum. This topic is very common and there is a ton of great content to research. At the end of the day, it comes down to which one of them feels and sounds right to you. Which one was the most intuitive and easiest to inspire you? Sounds like the Motif was your top pick. If you don't need sequencing and sampling on your gig, then I highly recommend giving the S90 a test drive.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Eric

well does any one know if recording vocals into the KORG TRITON STUDIO keyboard is a worthwhile endeavor?

i was thinking of doing my vocals this way, because I can nto seem to get a good audio recording via my other equipment ( 1202 vlz pro mackie mixer, AT4047 condenser mic, maudio delta 66 audio card)

??

any assist in this is greatly appredfiated

Archived