Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Spotting (what are the "pro's" playing?)

daBowsa

Originally posted by Sven Golly:

Originally posted by Bobsk8:

LOL....... Your right....... :)

What's so funny about his right? Is it different from his left? ;)

Cheers,

SG

SVEN!!! Thank you for that man, never stops being funny.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Cursed Eternity - My Band

Dick Ward - My Me

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by StonedAndFunky:

Hey all, haven't posted in a while, but I felt I needed to here.

Saw a Chick Corea concert recently and he had some cool gear:

Acoustic Grand Piano (not sure what model)

Rhodes MK II Stage (with midi) - hooked up to

Motif ES8

And some kind of strap on keyboard

Yamaha KX5.

Great concert...
Indeed :cool:

Originally posted by StonedAndFunky:

Hey all, haven't posted in a while, but I felt I needed to here.

Saw a Chick Corea concert recently and he had some cool gear:

Rhodes MK II Stage (with midi) - hooked up to

I'm pretty sure Chick Corea's Rhodes is a Mark V, not a MK II. Apparently one of only three MIDI'd Rhodes Mark V's ever built. You can tell it's a V by the slightly different shape & the gigantic Rhodes logo on the back.

http://www.fenderrhodes.com/models/mark5.php

Sean Hopper from Huey Lewis and the News puts another vote on the board for the Korg Triton. Looks like another one in the rack behind him and one on top of the B3,or at least I thought it was a B3. Take a look at the name on the organ.

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/pursuitboy/sean-on-keyboard.jpg

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/pursuitboy/sean.jpg

I'm watching American Idol right now and spotted an ES8 with an X7 on top for the main guy in the middle of the stage (music director?). Looks like there is another keyboard player off to the side with silver keyboards as well, but have not identified them.

Regards,

Eric

• 1 month later...

I know of at least two. These have been around for a while.

http://media.zzounds.com/media/brand,zzounds/fit,325by400/quality,85/vk-77_large-9d3cd3c7295e46c511e53417f8ef795a.gif

Roland VK-77.

http://www.instrumentpro.com/include/phpThumb/phpThumb.php?src=/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/rolvk88.gif&w=300&h=300&far=1&f=jpeg&bg=FFFFFF

Roland VK-88

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Geddy Lee still pounds on a 20-year old KX-76 controller. That is a tribute to that venerable old box.

I just had the contacts on mine cleaned, and the guides lubed, and it still plays like new.

I sound like my father now, "they don't build 'em like they used too," overheard in-between attempts to gum some green beans at a recent holiday meal.

• 1 month later...

I went to Amazon.com today, and lately they've been having some cool behind-the-scenes music footage on the front page.

Well, today was the Dixie Chicks tour rehearsal - I think I spotted a Stage!

http://static.flickr.com/46/139203470_e6f14c809f_o.jpg

Herbie Hancock in New Orleans at the Jazz Fest -- Steinway grand and an Oasys (all that I could see from my vantage point).

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

i doubt any of you guys here will know this dude, his name is Janne Warmen, he is in the band Childrend of Bodom (a metal band) and he has his own solo band simply called Warmen (Neo classical/ power metal music) this guy is definitly worth checking out. He is mainly a jazz musician and went to the Finland Pop and Jazz conservetory. here is his set up for the studio: http://cobhc.com/gallery/studio2002//studio25.jpg

live he uses the same keyboard (KORG X5D) and a couple of various modules( Korg Triton Rack, roland JV 2080, ect.) This guy is definitly virtuoso status her was voted the second best keyboardist of all time by BURN magazine. he has a pretty basic setup. check him out.

Originally posted by NB1212:

i doubt any of you guys here will know this dude, his name is Janne Warmen, he is in the band Childrend of Bodom

Ladies and gentlemen... I give you Mr. Dick Ward.

Take it away, Dick. :thu:

Lol, damnit, someone said my name and I didn't know it!

I assure you, they know his name from the first, I dunno, hundred posts of mine. I was clearly obsessed.

Yeah, Janne's a pimp. His influence is missing Are You Dead Yet though, which is REALLY lame. The whole "moving away from power metal" thing takes away the glory that Bodom was. I get upset because he's so dull on stage and in interviews, but I do love the fact that he uses the same beat up controller that he used the first time I saw them.

If you're a fan of Janne, you may want to check out Jens Johansson (keyboardist for Stratovarius and brother of Anders, drummer for Hammerfall). You can really see the influence, even in the gear as they both rock a JV-2080.

Also, I can't stress enough how amazing Rick Wakeman of Yes is. Check this out! Just after the mid point of the song he starts playing Janne style while still maintaining a bass line with his left hand. His choice of sounds are worse than Rudess' but the skill is amazing.

"...Keytar in a heavy metal band is nothing more than window dressing" - Sven Golly

Dick Ward - My Me

ya i know Jens he is super good. im nto that big of a fan of the new cd Are You Dead Yet either not enough good keyboard riffs but his solos are still super good. I like litsening to Warmen more now days specially the new classical songs, his solos are pretty insane too, (300 bpm 16ht notes improved, for the most part). glad to know janne is becoming a bit more known in the keyboard world because there is never any coverage of him in Keyboard Magazine. rick wakemen is pretty good too but i prefer top watch janne play simply because i like the way jane palys and the stuff he plays more.

also does anyone here know how to make the Jens Johanson lead sound?

For Jens's Stuff, just do a search on google with his name and you'll come out with his excellent and very helpful homepage!

As far as watching janne play... eh. He's great to hear, but so so boring to watch. I'll take me a Henrik of Sonata Arctica or a Jon Oliva of Savatage any day. Not as technically skilled, but way more fun on stage. They don't do the whole "ooh I'm so lazy and drunk and depressed that I'm filthy rich" thing. :P

Incidentally, when looking at keyboard rigs, I noticed that pretty much every metal band uses a Triton or Triton Extreme. Fintroll uses a Karma live, but I think a Triton rack in addition. Very metal board I guess, lol.

Dick Ward - My Me

Originally posted by Dick Ward (Alias: Mr. Pretentious):

Incidentally, when looking at keyboard rigs, I noticed that pretty much every metal band uses a Triton or Triton Extreme. Fintroll uses a Karma live, but I think a Triton rack in addition. Very metal board I guess, lol.

Nah... Korg was giving'em away with every pentagram tattoo during 2004... :wave:

Originally posted by jay da cop:

I have been trying to get the keys setup for Lawrence Gowan from Styx for the new tour.

Jay

The last time I saw them he was riding on that goofy spinning platform -- it appeared to be a controller mounted in a custom cabinet that would spin (along with him) 360 degrees...not sure what was mounted in the rack backstage...

I love Styx, but his annoying grandstanding while spinning around and making these annoying faces and gestures was a big distraction for me...IMHO of course

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Ed Coury:

The last time I saw them he was riding on that goofy spinning platform -- it appeared to be a controller mounted in a custom cabinet that would spin (along with him) 360 degrees...not sure what was mounted in the rack backstage...

I love Styx, but his annoying grandstanding while spinning around and making these annoying faces and gestures was a big distraction for me...IMHO of course

Frankly, anything that gets a keyboard player noticed by the general public is a good thing, in my books.

Well, except for keytars... only a complete nubsauce would play a keytar. ;)

Hiya, Dick! ;):wave:

I've got a call in to a friend that's close to the source (i.e. Larry), so hopefully I'll be able to divulge the secrets of the current rig.

I know he used to run a pair of Roland XV-5080's, and a JP-8080 rack, amongst others. Hopefully I'll be able to share more details later. :)

Archived