Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

hey lefties!

loxley11

I can't believe no one has brought up this topic; I couldn't find it in the archives anywhere.

As a right handed player, I have enough trouble playing/improvising with my right hand as it is (with some left hand chords or arpeggios). I know some of you have gotta be left handed, so...what's it like?

Guitarists and string players can get left handed instruments, but most others, including piano, don't come like that. Most of the literature was written by right handed people, so the right hand part is usually harder.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it doesn't make any difference after a while. One of the best student pianists here at UNC is a lefty, and man can he tear it up (and swingin', too!)

Just wondering,

loxley11

"Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face"

-Mike Tyson

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a lefty ... I don't consider any shortcomings in my playing to be a result of that. It's like anything ... you practice so you have fluidity and control and work on the things that need work.

When I play bass or guitar, I play right-handed instruments because that's what I learned on. I don't think it makes much difference. Maybe I'm more capable in my left-hand keyboard parts because of my lefty orientation, but there's really no way to tell. It just is what it is.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Lefties (like me) need to be good at all kinds of right-handed things, that's just the way the world is. That may make left handed people at bit more used to using their right hand than vice-versa.

Personally I don't perceive my right hand dexterity as being any less than my right, however I would say my left hand is stronger than my right.

- Ehz

I have a sneaking suspicion that it doesn't make any difference after a while.[/QB]
Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

Exactly right. When I started out, I used to drive my organ teacher crazy by soloing with my left hand. I can't even do that anymore - except bass solos, LOL. Nothing like practice to beat a habit out of you.

Daf

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

Think of the guitar. Most guitar players are right handed, but it's actually the left hand that requires the most dexterity in many styles. Indeed the right hand often only holds a pick! Right or left handedness only refers to a person's proclivity. The brain, though, can be trained to be equally adept with either hand.

Archived