Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm having problems with my speakers.

theplayer

I have the Kipsch 2.1 system. The left speaker will all of a sudden distort then cut out after about a minute come back on. But when I hook them up to my computer, they work just fine. I had to kind of peace together my connections from Radio Shack. I did barrel to a mini stereo Y into 2 mono, then mini to 1/4" plugged into the R and L jacks on the board. What's the deal?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by theplayer:

I have the Kipsch 2.1 system. The left speaker will all of a sudden distort then cut out after about a minute come back on. But when I hook them up to my computer, they work just fine. I had to kind of peace together my connections from Radio Shack. I did barrel to a mini stereo Y into 2 mono, then mini to 1/4" plugged into the R and L jacks on the board. What's the deal?

Try exchanging the speakers and see if the problem stays in the same speaker or moves to the other side. Then try same with individual cables if problem stays on left side.

A remote possibility is that you may simply be giving the left side too much bass and that may be causing it to thermal overload. But its far more likely to be one of the cables.

BTW, WRITE DOWN what you did and what the result was at every stage. It may not cause you to find the problem faster but if its is at all subtle it will help preserve your sanity.

Originally posted by theplayer:

i'm sorry to hear you're having problems. Too bad we didn't sort out that markertek order. So i take it you've got a total of 3 adaptors? Is your mini Y cable good for anything else, or did you buy it because that's all radio shack had? Don't you hate it!

Try plugging straight into the headphone jack using one of those quarter inch adaptors. I personally don't hear much if any signal degradation or loss, so hey if it works, it works. At least a temporary solution til you find someplace that sells the right cable.

Do you have a "line in" jack on your soundcard? I'm not computer savvy so I don't know if that's a given, but supposing you do, just connect both keyboard and speakers to soundcard, and you're all set...given the right cable. Hope I haven't misread your dilemma.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Ahh, I think I have found the problem. it is two things. One I had the volume on the board turned up to high and the speakers down to low (overload) and two my left channel cable isn't getting a perfect connection sometimes. I can just wiggle it with my foot when I am playing and it goes away. Guess I just need to get the Y cable.

Archived