Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Casio pianos - first impression

marino

OK, today I was able to put my hands on those Casio Privia digital pianos, the whole line in fact. The store had a PX-100, PX-300, and PX-400 stacked one over the other. Unfortunately, I only had a few minutes, so no insight review, just a first impression.

The keyboard response is *excellent* in my opinion. I prefer it over any other digital piano except maybe the Yamaha P90/120/250 and the Kawai M9000 - but they're almost there. A shock!

The piano sounds are very good, for what I could judge by listening to the onboard speakers (I had no headphones). The attack is quite good. The sustain portion has a funny character, a bit metallic and phasing, but not unpleasant. Again, I'd still favor the Yamaha and Kawai for overall piano sound, but for gigging, I'd find the Privia perfectly adequate.

The other 'main' sounds are not bad at all, except for the EPs, which I found pathetic. Vibes and harpsichord sound excellent to my ears, and the strings are more than decent.

About the GM bank, I enabled it on one of the models (can't recall which one, sorry), played for two minutes, and went out to puke. :freak: You could use the GM bank for practice, but I wouldn't dare use it in front of an audience. Disgusting. :D

Now the big news: 12Kgs!!!! That's about 28 lbs, I believe. Now, there's someone who is *listening* to gigging pianists! If Yamaha or one of the other big league manufacturers doesn't come up with something similar in the next few months (uh, what about that 76-note controller... :D ), I'd strongly consider getting one of these Casios for casual piano gigs. I found them perfectly adequate for ensemble playing, even jazz, in both piano sound and key response. And not having to break my back moving them is a big, big plus to me.

As always... "In my opinion".

Carlo

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Marino:

Are these being sold in Music stores? I've always wondered what would happen if you bought one from a mass marketer and had a problem with it. What about parts and service?

As far as weight issues. I think that's a double edge sword. Yamaha has never been known to build a light anything, however, I prefer something that's solid rather than a fly weight that won't hold up to being moved around. Build it too light it might even bend! Build it too heavy, no one will move it!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Are these being sold in Music stores? I've always wondered what would happen if you bought one from a mass marketer and had a problem with it. What about parts and service?

Good point. However, at the price they're going for, they could almost be considered disposable items!

Yamaha has never been known to build a light anything

Not quite true - they were the second manufacturer on the market (that I know of) with a weighted-action 88-note digital piano under 40 lbs. (the first one was the Technics SX-P30)

I've been wondering who would raise the bar (or perhaps I should say lower the bar in this case) on digital piano weight. It looks like 28 lbs is the new weight-to-beat!

Sue, I would have imagined your question would have been "Why didn't you mention the Pro Mega in your comparisons?" :D Well, this is part of my (life-long) research for a 'portable', weighted controller. I think the Pro Mega beats the Casios for piano sounds and everything else, except keyboard feel and instrument weight. But at that price point, the main rival for the Casio is the Yamaha P60, which I find inferior in every way. Fact is, I expected to be disappointed by those instruments, like, I guess, most pro musicians. But I was more than pleasantly surprised.

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Marino:

Are these being sold in Music stores? I've always wondered what would happen if you bought one from a mass marketer and had a problem with it.

They *are* sold in music stores, in Italy at least. I asked the salesman about it, and he said that Casio want to (re)-enter the pro market, competing directly with Yamaha and Kawai.

Where i live these puppies are selling like hot cakes. Really delicious hot cakes.

I agree with marino on most counts; the piano sound is surprisingly good, i agree about the tone of sustain but hey, woteva. Was amazed that you didn't mind the string and harpsichord sounds, then realised you were not referring to the GM ones, which are PAINFULLY hideous!

:o (smiley looks embarrassed but is actually throwing up) :D

My main problem with these boards was mainly with the action - while at this price one shouldn't complain, i found that while they had a decent weighted feel it kinda didn't *respond* that well, if that makes sense - ie., it's nice to feel the weight there but it behaved kinda sluggishly. Does the 400 have a slightly different action or is it my imagination? I thought i liked it better, but maybe the better onboard speakers give it a different velocity response which tricked my brain :freak: it happens...

Overall :thu:

Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?

Pretty sure the 400 is a graded action and the otrhers are not. I rather liked the 400 action but I did not try playing real fast, so can't comment on that. Wasn't thinking of it as a board I would use myself - but did not realize how light it is. Might have to go back and take a second look.

Now the big news: 12Kgs!!!! That's about 28 lbs, I believe. Now, there's someone who is *listening* to gigging pianists! If Yamaha or one of the other big league manufacturers doesn't come up with something similar in the next few months (uh, what about that 76-note controller...
If Yamaha or...What's that? Korg? Prove it!! Oh, X5/X5D you say? 10.5-11.5 lbs you say? Wow.. Hey... Wasn't that released in 1998 or something?
"You have seen as to do, dude, isn't it?" -Korg PA80 manual

Originally posted by CyberDefender

If Yamaha or...What's that? Korg? Prove it!! Oh, X5/X5D you say? 10.5-11.5 lbs you say? Wow.. Hey... Wasn't that released in 1998 or something?

No comparison between a 61-note unweighted synth keyboard and a weighted 88 note digital piano keyboard. Apples to oranges. Though Korg has created a few smaller profile stage pianos like the SP200 and SP300. I have not yet played these Casios, but they sound great based on the reviews I am reading! I'll see if the local Walmart has one this weekend. :D

Regards,

Eric

Originally posted by marino:

Sue, I would have imagined your question would have been "Why didn't you mention the Pro Mega in your comparisons?"

that's ok, Marino. We're getting used to being ignored. but, you claim the action on the Casio BEATS OUT my promega???! Whaaat? That's unacceptable. That's classified, top secret info. It does not leave this thread! :eek::D
"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Originally posted by eric:

I'll see if the local Walmart has one this weekend.

--------------------------------------------------

Good for you! You support those communists!

Note: This post was Made in CHINA.

"You have seen as to do, dude, isn't it?" -Korg PA80 manual

Archived