Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Symposium on the Future

Phil B

Last night I attended this event, given by EMF (Electronic Music Foundation). It was a pretty special panel. The speakers were: Morton Subotnick, Robert Moog, Laurie Spiegel, Max Mathews, Jon Appleton, Daniel Teruggi and Joel Chadabe. Some interesting points of view were expressed like (my apologies if I misstate anyone's views):

1- Bob Moog talking about the loss of community in music today. How long ago if you wanted to hear music, you had to play it or pay someone to play it for you. And how today it is a solitary activity ... just people walking the streets of NYC with iPod wire sticking out of their heads. He also spoke about how musical instruments have always historically utilized the the most cutting edge technologies of their time (e.g., stone tools of the cavemen to make drums, modern workworking to make violins and pianos, the cutting edge design that the saxophone was, and of course synthesizers and digital audio). He thinks that as of now no technology has replaced computer software/hardware technology and so that is where the innovation will continue to be until a new technology arises.

2- Morton Subotnick saying he was unable to see what would become of electronic musical instruments in the future because, unlike traditional instruments, there is no literature. A violinist can play the works of the masters. Same with piano, trumpet, flute, etc. But, look at an instrument like the saxophone. Very little literature and, as a result, it became a tool of the improviser in the jazz world. Electronic "instruments" he said have no literature as they are invented and therefore their future is wide open.

3- Jon Appleton speaking about his vision of an electronic instrument of the future where an electrode cap of some sort is placed on your head and it reaches in to your mind to pool together all of the music you love and plays new compositions of "your" favorite music.

There was lots more like this. A really great night. I'll post some more if I think of them.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thnx man for this great thread!!

we do (including myself)so much tech talking and rarely gettin' in the real essence of music - the true spirit of the Art

Post some more please, it was so nice to read opinions from such importand to music personalities

Regards

Yannis

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

My pleasure - I found this article on a website that says they will be putting up transcriptions of some highlights next week

( CDM Link )

Also, the panel was videotaped. I will check in with the EMF folks and see if they will stream it on their site.

Archived