Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Suggestions of Samples for Progressive Rock

LGK_Dude

Hey gang!

I'm in the market for some samples packages and/or VST's that would be a nice pallet for a progressive rock band (Yes, Rush, Genesis, etc, but with a modern edge). Thus I'm looking into both atmospheric pad & lead sounds (I like synthy leads at times, but do not need an entire library), as well as various percussion sounds (rock kits, ethnic, etc).

Some names that I've seen thrown around have been Atmosphere, Distorted Reality, StormDrum, and Drumkit from Hell. Any user opinions? Are these the best of the best, and therefore a great place to get started? Anything I'm missing that you find WAY cool?

I was also curious if anyone has experience with the Korg Wavestation VST, and how it compares to the real thing. (I love that old synth!)

Thanks in advance for your replies! When we finish our Demo, I'll make sure to post some clips and listings on what we used (if your interested).

THANKS AGAIN! :D

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The new Sonik Synth 2 (VST) has lots of samples that are based on sounds for specific Rush, Genesis, Yes, and ELP songs. You can try a free demo by going to http://www.keyboardonline.com/100704_press.htm

Unless you have some sort of computer-based setup on stage, you won't be able to play these sounds in a live situation, but it might be cool to check out the sounds anyway.

Ben

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

Er, I'd stay away from samples for your needs. Grab a VA or RA. You will experience much greater enjoyment this way. :)

Thanks for the tips!

Ive been out of the game for a little while, so what does VA or RA mean? If I were to go the synth route, what do you recommend.

Thanks again, and Ill for sure check out Sonik Synth 2 once I get back from the Holiday.

Originally posted by LGK_Dude:

Ive been out of the game for a little while, so what does VA or RA mean? If I were to go the synth route, what do you recommend

"RA" = Real Analog synths (i.e. Minimoog, etc.)

"VA" = Virtual Analog synths (i.e. Alesis ION, etc.).

Most VA synths do a decent emulation of vintage analogs. It is debatable if any nail the sound exactly. It's up to you if VAs are worthy of the cause. ;)

SCARBEE samples for Rhodes and Wurlitzer. best there is short of the real thing.

Mellotron samples are available by several manufacturers.

Synth lead sounds and string machine sounds: get an affordable VA like ION or MICRON, or not so affordable but the ultimate machine for any kind of progressive rock - Andromeda A6.

Atmosphere by Spectrasonics - is ok, but i'd rather redirect the cash towards harware synth. Atmosphere is just too two-dimensional. almost any VA or RA eats it alive.

Another option for Rhodes amd Hammond sounds is obviously another dedicated hardware contender- Clavia Nord Electro 2.

http://www.babic.com - music for film/theatre, audio-post

Archived