Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Kurzweil Quick Access Banks

ELP71

Is there anything comparable in other synth/workstations? I have yet to find any 'favorites' bank that works as well.

I think the thing I like the most about these QA banks is that you have ten sounds right in front of you and you can scroll them OR access them with the alpha-numeric keypad. I love the fact that the sounds visually correspond with the keypad.

IMHO, the 'favorites' on the Yamahas pales in comparison. Kudos to Kurzweil...I know the K-whatever series is 'old technology', but if it works it works. The QA banks are awesome. Especailly live.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't agree more, I'd be lost without my QA banks during live performances!! The great thing is that a QA bank can contain any combination of programs and/or setups. This wonderful feature has been part of the K series synths since the early days of the K2000, back in 1992. A great touch indeed!

Kirk

Reality is like the sun - you can block it out for a time but it ain't goin' away...

Master Mode like QA on a Kurzweil simply points to existing Voices (programs) and Peformances (Setups).

Like QA mode, you can create your set list in Master Mode without duplicating or moving any existing Voices or Performances.

Master Mode is unique in that is also allows you to reference songs and patterns. This is where you can also get 3 more MIDI zones out of external MIDI equipment, in addition to the 4 sounds coming from an internal Performance.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Swing over to motifator.com or s90.com and look for the "Behind the Manual" section. There is a good document on using Master Mode.

Below a cut-and-paste from one of my late-night pontifications on Master Mode on the motifator.com board (where I am known as Dave)

-----

My rig has always been set up as I live rig. No recording. No computer. What's played is played and lost forever. [i do hook up a laptop occasionally for voice programming and library purposes]. I've spent the past years in pursuit of the "one button to set up for the next song" Holy Grail of the master controler world.

I gig with two types of setups, Small Rig and Big Rig. Small Rig is just the Mo and the PC1x. Big Rig is everything in my signiture. Any keybed can control any tone generator (splits included), and I can change what controls what with the selection of a single Motif Master. This works great when you have a set list. I use the first 64 Masters for my own thing, and the second 64 Masters for the band. I use song titles for my Master names. Between songs, I'll call up a bank of Masters and wait for the leader the call the next one. If I guessed the bank correctly, I am one button press away form the rig setup I need for the next song. If the leader wants to throw me and call a song from another set, I'm two button presses away (Bank, Master). You can (and I do) also create generic Masters (Piano/Strings, Wurli/Organ, etc) for the odd free flow jam. Yes it takes some time to program the original Masters, but I consider that part of learning the song (and therefore part of my job as a keyboard player).

Master controller Rule #1: Know Thy Equipment as this is what seperates us from piano players.

One of your devices will be a Master (and transmit MIDI data), and one or more will be a Slave (and respond to MIDI data). Figure out what you want your slave devices to do first. Learn what MIDI data needs to be transmitted to them in order to put them in the mode/voice you want. In many cases, all they need to receive is Bank Select and Program Change messages. That is easy. In some cases, your slaves may need SYSEX data to put them in the voice/mode you want them in. Harder to do. But it can be done. If you really want to get carried away, you can also have controller data (PB, Mod, Ribbon, Assignable Knobs, FC7, etc) sent from your master to a slave.

How does it work in my rig? The Microwave responds to Bank Select and PC for voice selection. I always use it in voice mode. Oberheim is the same. The MKS-80 and SE1 too. All are on different MIDI receive channels. I generally use Voice or Performance Masters on those for layers and/or splits with the Motif. Get your head around the Motif's Modes: Voice, Performance, and Song. Each can also be a Master.

Also get your head around Zones. The Motif is a Four Zone master controller. If you need more zones, you need another device.

I have two secret weapons in my rig to add Zones: My PC1x and a MOTU MTP AV. I'll talk about the former now, and the latter in another post.

The PC1x has a unique capability... it has the Motif equivalent of Masters (which in Kurz-speak is called a Setup), but is designed so that when the unit is a slave, Masters (Setups) can be selected by incoming PC data. This basically gives you SEVEN zones and two keybeds on which to play with them. It means with the selection of a Motif Master (which sends PC data on the appropriate MIDI channel to the Kurz), I can control what the Kurz is playing... internal TG and/or external device. So one of my Motif Masters has the Motif keybed playing a lead sound on the SE1 and the Kurz keybed playing a pad on the Oberheim.

The Motif and S90, if slaves, require SYSEX data to be received to select Masters. That is the reason (and a $700 price difference and some different sounds) why I chose the PC1x as a weighted controller to go with my ES7 instead of an S90.

Master Mode on the Motif series/S90 should meet most user's master controller needs. These are mass market devices. Yes, I agree that NASA (or NASDA) should do a DNA test on the guys who designed the interface to see if they are indeed from this planet. But it is a pretty amazing device.

-----

That was written late at night a few months ago. Shout back if you need any clarification!

"More tools than talent"

Motif ES7:Kurzweil PC1x:Electro 2 73:Nord Lead 3:MKS-80:Matrix 1000:Microwave XT

Sometimes I'll set up a QA bank for one specific song and use a foot controller to "program up" for hands free operation. I used to use an ART X-15 to bounce around the corresponding keypad programs but that thing was just too much to haul around and not exactly intuitive to program.

I had a similar kinda thing going with my Ensoniq SQ80 and my Alesis QSR for a while. I set up the SQ80 in sequence mode, and assigned a voice to the 8 available MIDI channels. I then set up the QSR in Mix Mode with 8 sounds to the 8 channels, then named the mix to the song. You can use Group mode to layer sounds (this also works beyond the 8 primary channels, as the last 8 channels on the QSR can be used to layer at will with the primary sounds). Once this is done, it just takes a soft key change to change programs on the fly. Worked great for me, then I changed controllers.

Jay

Archived