Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha ES & PLG Pianos vs. Roland Fantom X piano?

Jazz+

Putting all other features aside, which one has a better sounding piano for jazz, not rock.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't stand the SRX-02 any more, something about midrange in the C4-C5 octave and the dead sustain. This one seems behind the curve now, and Roland's own Fantom X piano is way better.

I always liked the Kurz piano.

On my Motif ES, I installed Keven Spargo's KSounds sample library, starting with the Kawai sample, which is quite bright, but a drastic improvement over the stock ES piano. I'm waiting for his Steinway library to come out. The libraries are cheaper than the Yamaha expansion boards, and in my opinion, better-sounding, even if they're less convenient to load.

My favorite right now is Ivory, but it involves bringing a computer out, which is none too convenient.

Current live rig: Roland RD700SX, Hammond XK-3 with Leslie System 21, and Muse Receptor. Also a Nord Stage 76 other times instead. And a Roland FP-7 for jazz gigs.

HOME: Kawai MP8 + a bunch of VI's.

I am unsure about the PLG-150AP at this point.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Jazz+. There doesn't seem to be a digital piano that you like. Have you tried the GEM Promega 3?

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by EeeeekSmith:

I can't stand the SRX-02 any more, something about midrange in the C4-C5 octave and the dead sustain. This one seems behind the curve now, and Roland's own Fantom X piano is way better.

eeek- One of the esteemed people at Fantomized created sysex patch improvement for the SRX 02 . They are supposed to be a nice improvement.

I am attempting to load the them into my Rd 700/SRX 02

but I am waiting for advice.

If i can get this accomplished and if their is a dramatic change in the SRX 02, I will post again.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Originally posted by MikeT156:

Jazz+. There doesn't seem to be a digital piano that you like. Have you tried the GEM Promega 3?

Mike T.

hmmm. how much fun would that be for Jazz+? OH NO, the search would be over!

*sigh*

;)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Sue, the Promega is the only logical step left. I know he has Roland digital pianos and Yamaha, and their new piano card and is still not satisfied. I don't know that Jazz+ has tried Korg, but that really wouldn't be much of a difference. The Promega has the most appropriate samples for jazz and classical pianists, as well as a three pedal board. If that doesn't do it, then the only alternative is to get a 9 ft. acoustic grand and be done with it.

Just my opinion. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I think he should wait till Namm when GEM will anounce the Pro Mega Expander with new user- changable eprom chip which will, using the proprietory DRAKEprocessor, emulate the masterfull(at least 670 notets of polyphony)piano of Barry Harris,Harry Barris,Sony Clark,Billy Taylor or Dodo Marmoroso(?)-depending on chip used.

The PM3 being endorsed by Rick Capeman is not realy suited to the articulation of slick bebop,Legarto or otherwise. :D

I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Hey BOPEEPER!

i see your from OXFORD like me ?

small world aint it?

So GEM are bringing out a rack version of their PROMEGA 3 ? how cool is that! i will buy it

i didnt like their last one they did years ago..

any ideas on price and when it will be released for us to buy ?

thanks

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

Yeah I was joking. Ive just been picking up on the tongue in cheek humour of posters like Orange funk Analogue Addict, not to mention Kiru.

GEM used to do an expander version of the Real Piano (Pro2) they stoped making this as they were losing keyboard sales.So goes the story anyway.

Yeah I'm in Oxford BonGP. In fact I phoned you about a keyboard case you were selling in SOS but didnt get a return call.(It was you wasnt it?)I think the case fitted a P120- wanted to know If it would fit a S90.

If you still have It mail ne at lindsay_m_jones@hotmail.com

Yeah Its getting smaller.

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

Yeah I was joking. Ive just been picking up on the tongue in cheek humour of posters like Orange funk Analogue Addict, not to mention Kiru.

hey WAIT A MINUTE. Is this some sort of clique that I'm not part of? You mean, I've never once even made you smile??

:confused:

I'm going home.

Hi BOPBEEPER

NOPE IT WASNT ME WITH THE CASE MATE

must have got confused with someone else

Roland Fantom X8 (SRX-04, SRX-07, SRX-11, SRX-12) - Yamaha Motif ES7 - Kawai MP11 - Hammond XK-1C - Korg TR Rack - Korg SG Rack - Quiklok Z72 - Quiklok SL930 - Electrovoice SXA360's

Hi, BonGP

Yeah ,I was mixed up. The guy was from Witney- you're in Oxford are'nt you? This guy seems to be always offering some keyboard or other for sale on SOS website.

Maybe Ill check out the Fantom X module in PMT (thats Professional Music Technology folks) but It will probably be to mutch for thier lazy staff to set up a weighted board with It.

Anyway my keyboard-skill to gear ratio is abit anballanced at the moment

Hi, Gangsu,

Didn't mean to denegrade your sensa of humour.Or Make the world smaller.

But someone with such youthfull enthusiasm for life would not want to be associated with those afforementioned, probably old apart from Kiru and he's very tongue in cheek when provoked,cynical forum hacks.

I hope hack dont mean something rude in the US.

(If it dose I think your presedent Is the bigest f%$%$%g ond hack in the the milky way)

Thought you wernt talking to me anyway since I sold my Pro Mega 2. :P

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! "

BOPBEEPER! I didn't think you were talking to me either, since we orginally got off on the wrong foot. Not that anybody got off, I just remember shooting one of those bored looks in your direction, and I don't think you appreciated it. Forgive me.

kiru just signed up here, so I haven't seen his sense of humour. Are you sure about him? He writes a bit like an old lady. Aims to be helpful, and i'm sure he has his own fan club, so I'll just carry on writing my own book and drawing my own conclusions, thanks all the same.

The bell tolled the day you sold your PM2. I felt downright funereal for quite some time. I'm over it now.

I'm never sure exactly where you're coming from. But thanks for the note. :D:thu:

Originally posted by gangsu:

kiru just signed up here, so I haven't seen his sense of humour. Are you sure about him? He writes a bit like an old lady. Aims to be helpful, and i'm sure he has his own fan club, so I'll just carry on writing my own book and drawing my own conclusions, thanks all the same.

Mua ha ha ha! :cry: for your "old lady".

Meh, whatever. :cool:

Kiru

My other synth forum is Harmony Central .

BOPBEEPER:

Why did you sell your Promega 2?

Mike T.

Originally posted by Kirumamoru:

Mua ha ha ha! :cry: for your "old lady".

Meh, whatever. :cool:

Kiru

oh lorrrrrrrrrd its harrrrd to be hummbull, when yer purfect in evvvvree waay laawdeedah

just testing ya, kiru. :D Watch yer step. Some of these guys built the beasts, and wrote the music.

Hey BOPBEEPER !

you MUST have had a bad time at PMT in Oxford then ? their staff have NEVER EVER let me down, they always phone me back with prices etc, and yesterday i had the guys setting up 6 heavy pairs of Powered cabs, so i could try my FANTOM X8 thru them, they are always friendly and helpful mate... i been going there since they first opened 6 or 7 years ago, maybe longer ?

plus they even lent me a MESA BOOGIE amplifier brand new for 2 weeks while my marshall got fixed, i have nothing but praise for them..

and they even price match german internet prices.. almost !

sure you didnt upset them ? lol

Laters...

MikeT,

I sold the PM2 mainly because of a bad mother board experience and diddn't want to be landed with having to replace it again out of warranty.

There is or was a GEM website/forum out there and someone else had a similar problem.I think that the Equinox had lots of software issues as well. Now Im happy with my S90 with the AP board and I think the Rhodes are beter all across the keyboard.On the PM2 I allways thought the EPs sounded a bit wierd in the bass end,I only rated the Rhodes No 2 sound but the Wurlys were the best Ive played (I've only played sampled ones, sadly) I also like the Yamaha keybed-its a little bit more heavily weighted and has a nice cussioned quality to It.The PM's very playable Steinway version had a sort of flat spot in the lower treble which the onboard EQ didnt do much to improve (nit picking here).It buged me that because all the EPs are in the same bank you couldnt layer or do splits with them.

Also It was Silver!

It took me months to shift!I used the new motherboard as a selling point!

Weren't they promising a PRO MEGA 1 a while back?

Kiru,

When are you signing the book deal with Yamaha Inc.Put me dowm for a signed copy :D

Gangsu,

Yeah, I dont know where Im coming from either ,to much wacky bacco,(this is Harmony Central aint It?) but where's this thread going to?

Give the Pro Mega a big slobbery kiss from me when you put her to bed tonight.

BonGoviPayer,

Those PMT guys are OK they just see me as someone who goes in there at 5pm to noodle on a few boards and never buys anything.Too true when they only quote me the MRRP.

If your gig list is anything to go by you probable keep them business!Didn't realise you were a Pro.

would like to see a Nord Electro 3 with real drawbars and multitimbral organ/piano layers and split functionality. Bonus for LCD display for patch naming. Also, it would be neat to see a Nord Electro and Nord Lead combined into the same keyboard.

I like that idea a lot.

Together we stand, Divided we fall.

would like to see a Nord Electro 3 with real drawbars and multitimbral organ/piano layers and split functionality. Bonus for LCD display for patch naming.
That would be nice.

Also, it would be neat to see a Nord Electro and Nord Lead combined into the same keyboard.

Now you're asking too much.

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

What's all this electro stuff, push off to the Namm thread. This thread's for Yamy Fans Fantom Freaks and the ocasional Pro Mega Player who needs a bit of sympathy. :evil:

LOL!! that makes my day, BP. Thanks.

Hi GangSu,

By way of clearing up a posible enigma in a previous post( ...compared to what ! ! !) I was stoned when I wrote this!

But I was refering to a track on one of the BEST EVER live jazz recordings 'Swiss Movement' by Less McCann and Edie Harris.Check it out If you're not hip to It.'Compared to What' has also been covered by others including Brian Auger ( a Brit who now lives in the states and a keys wizzard)

Now thats your homework sorted out.

What kind of music are you into?

Beter mention that you must be feeling smug that your PM3 don't have a tamborine sound like my PLG150AP just to keep this on topic!

Bopbeeper, Hi! I downloaded Compared to What, and I'm loving it. At first, I thought it was a new take on The Age of Aquarius. Thank goodness that was just a short riff. RIFF, I say. :D You know, my sax player is good, he could handle this. I know a trumpeter I can call on that's equally as good, also a drummer, I'd just need some black guy to sing the blues. I'm pretty sure my promega could handle the rest.

I have no favourite music. I get off on finding out what makes other people tick. I'm into the ensemble thing.

Thanks for the great recommendation. ;)

Bopbeeper:

Thanks for the skinny on the Promega 2. I read of other players having motherboard problems too. Our friend and compatriot HermanJoe (Tom) has a new Promega 3 and its out for a service. I don't know what it is. All of this is troublesome, I like what I hear of the acoustic piano samples on their web site. I'm spoiled by my Yamaha equipment, never had any kind of failure.

Mike T.

The Promega series did have a small run of instruments that went out with a bad OS. This has been resolved, and everyone that was affected have/or in the process of being taken care of (all within warranty). The OS was causing a hardware failure. We caught the issue realitivly quickly and resolved the issue promptly. The instruments come with a 5 year warranty, and we at Generalmusic stand behind what we sell, making the satisfaction our top priority.

Best Regards,

Paul Davis

Generalmusic Corp.

Archived