Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live gigging with MIDI controller keyboard

BuzzBlue

Has anyone used or is anyone using the Roland A 37 controller keyboard for live gigs and what are your opinions? I am looking to buy and will be potentially using it to control Korg M3r and Roland JV1080 modules.. Or is anyone using another controller keyboard (Synth action, non weighted) in a similar situation all comments welcome.

Thanks.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been using a Kurzweil PC2 as a live controller. I use it not only to control the internal voices,but it also controls a Motif rack, Triton rack a Roland D-50 and MKS-70. I create zones and use the sliders and CC pedal to control the volume of the different zones. Every zone has it's own Midi channel and every module is set to a different channel. I usually make a different midi setup for each song we play. With the 4 different zones it gives me plenty of options for just about anything. I really love this keyboard

I currently use a TMK88 to control my Wavestation SR and Alesis QSR. I have a PC1600 on the Alesis for the Controllers A-D, plus other sliders mapped for controlling volumes, etc. If you map your voices for splits, you can get a lot done in 88 keys (only 1 zone). It has a bit of a "soft" (plastic) case on it, especially on my Apex stand, but it has a feel that I find easy for strings and organs, as well as a quick response for all of the "blippy" stuff that I play in my music. It is really lacking in controller inputs though (pedals - sustain only). If I could change only one thing, that would be it. I have a bigger wish list, but a shallow pocket, hence the PC1600.

Haven't tried the A37, you could always try the A70, 76 keys, more controller options.

Jay

Archived