Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alleged "buzz" in the PLG-150AP

Jazz+

A couple of people on Motifator Forum are reporting that they notice that there is a buzzing that follows each note. Someone has posted three demos on the thread as evidence of the "buzz". They describe "a high pitched digital hash after each note" and say it sounds a little like a tamborine rattle.

Link:

http://www.motifator.com/forums/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=Plugboard

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to be totally fair (and to summarize), there seems to be a bit of aliasing at the release stage of each note, and Athan has acknowledged as much.

But many people on that forum find it acceptable or a non-issue, and the general consensus seems to approve of it wholeheartedly for live.

Our own cnegrad wonders why no one has tried to notch out the offending frequency yet.

I don't mean to dismiss the issue in any way, and I do think that stuff like this needs to be discussed quickly and completely in a new product , but I think it will be no big deal for a lot of people. I can't wait to hear this card.

"For instance" is not proof.

I am expecting one to be delivered to me later today.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

I got the PLG-150AP this afternoon and plugged it into a Motif Rack. The response time is not as fast as would like and I have not figured out why it sounds thinner and the velocity is hotter in MULTI Mode. There is no EQ for the PLG when in Multi Mode and the velocity scale is strange when in Multi.

Originally posted by BOPBEEPER:

Who eddited out my post here? I thought this was an 'open' forum.

Only I and the original poster have the ability to edit/delete a post, and I certainly didn't do it...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

I got my PLG-AP today also. Although I didn't play each note individually to try to hear some anomaly, I thought the board was very nicely done. It's a mellow piano to be sure but it has a lot of character. One of the more realistic piano samples, other than the multi gig samples. One of the things I noticed is that with the two different velocity settings, I was able to have a lot more control over the sound of the piano and the way it responds to my playing.

All in all a very nicely done piano that I'll keep around for along time to come.

Unlike those who criticize this board, I heard no buzzing, no tambourines, no faint sleigh bells, etc... :D

aL

Gear: Yamaha MODX8, Mojo 61, NS2 73, C. Bechstein baby grand.

When I bought my S90 I also bought the PLG 150 PF card, as I needed the extra polyphony for live performance. I wound up using one of the presets off the card for most of my rock/blues stuff, as it was thinner and brighter than the S700 sample on the S90. I noticed with this preset a weird kind of noise, sort of a buzzy kind of sound in the background. However in live performance with a band I don't notice it at all. I just got my PLG 150 AP today and I DO notice the same type of artifact in the piano sounds as I noticed in the PF card. I havn't used it on stage yet but I'm betting the artifact won't be a factor there anymore than it is on the other card, and in my opinion even with this slight anomaly the sounds on the AP card KILL the S700 sounds in the S90! To me they seem to be much smoother and more playable. Is it the best piano ever? Nope- I've got GigaStudio with a bunch of grand piano samples in the studio that blow this piano card away, and frankly I'd be disappointed if they didn't. However I think for myself this card will be way useful in a live setting when I need a piano for ballads and such, as I 've never been able to get the S700 piano sounds to work for me in that capacity. Your mileage may vary :)

I only played it at AES, and one could certainly not detect such a noise in that environment. Yamaha's sending one over soon, so I will give it a good hard listen.

I really liked how it sounded and played on the Motif ES8 they had it set up on. Definitely a major act of leapfrog for workstation pianos.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

No I wasnt refering to that post. I assumed that the person who started this thread was able to edit out posts. Anyway no problem. I guess Its floating out in cyber space or perhaps Yamaha's PR department hacked it out to defend sales of the PLG150AP.
I are an *******(CENSORED) too.

Archived