Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ABBA keyboard player?

Beatnik

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few years back, I spent a good deal of time in Sweden. I was sitting around a table with a few locals where I was working, and we got to talking about ABBA. I made the mistake of saying "You guys don't still listen to ABBA??" :eek:

Suddenly, I heard all these pins dropping.. :D

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

A few years back, I spent a good deal of time in Sweden. I was sitting around a table with a few locals where I was working, and we got to talking about ABBA. I made the mistake of saying "You guys don't still listen to ABBA??" :eek:

LOL! ABBA is kind of a sacred cow here now, probably because they were considered too commercial while they were active. I don´t think I´ve played a single cover gig without doing at least one ABBA tune; "Does your Mother Know" must be one of the songs I´ve played the most... The different members have been doing (more or less) successfull spinoff projects ever since, most notably Benny Andersson.

I know exactly what you mean. I was working in Taby (just outside of Stockholm) a few years back, and a couple of the guys with whom I was working took me on a tour of the countryside out near the archipelago. As we passed this one cool house that was sitting on a very small island just off the road (reachable only by a private bridge), one of the guys got excited and told me this was the house of one of the Bs from ABBA (I think it was Benny, but it could have been Bjorn). The house was very elegant (reasonably large, very scandinavian in style, brightly lit at night...okay, it wasn't night, it was 3 p.m. in the afternoon...but it was winter there and thus might has well have been night).

Ironically, my trip also coincided with a major exhibits of ABBA items at the museum next to the Grand Hotel in Stockholm. ABBA is still, very, very big in Sweden (or at least it was a couple of years ago).

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

Originally posted by Red Winger:

I know exactly what you mean. I was working in Taby (just outside of Stockholm) a few years back, and a couple of the guys with whom I was working took me on a tour of the countryside out near the archipelago. As we passed this one cool house that was sitting on a very small island just off the road (reachable only by a private bridge), one of the guys got excited and told me this was the house of one of the Bs from ABBA (I think it was Benny, but it could have been Bjorn). The house was very elegant (reasonably large, very scandinavian in style, brightly lit at night...okay, it wasn't night, it was 3 p.m. in the afternoon...but it was winter there and thus might has well have been night).

Mark

:eek: My old school is quite close to that house, and my parents still live like 3 km from there, it´s a small world after all..! :wave:

Btw, It´s Benny´s house, and he does his shopping in the nearby convenient store! :cool:

Hejsan! Small world it is! :wave:

That's a really beautiful area around there. I grew up in Michigan and it wasn't until I saw Sweden that I realized how much of an influence Swedish immigrants have had on the U.S. mid-west. The climate, terrain and vegetation are very similar to the south of Sweden and the architecture of the buildings there shows a lot of Scandinavian influence. No wonder I felt like I was home there!

Beautiful city that Stockholm.

Absolutely agree. Of the cities I've been to (reasonably large number), it's one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, places to hang. I just loved the Old Town and all the restaurants nearby. It's particularly spectacular around the holiday season.

Cheers--

Mark

Howdy! :D It sure is; I have relatives in Boston, NY and Atlanta that I payed a visit a few years ago. Boston feels a lot like a European city, and Maryland is a lot like mid-eastern Sweden. A bit different in the winter months, I presume..! The midwest has a lot of Swedish and Nordic influence, I also saw a lot in North Carolina and Virginia. The film "Fargo" really nailed that feeling too, complete with the nordic winter climate! :rolleyes:

I play a couple of gigs a year in pubs in the Old Town, and several gigs a month on the south side of town, really close to the Old Town. Also, I usually do some christmas shopping there, it´s really nice with lots of christmas lights and almost no cars. I live about 15 minutes from there by subway...

:wave:

Originally posted by Red Winger:

Hejsan! Small world it is! :wave:

Beautiful city that Stockholm.

Absolutely agree. Of the cities I've been to (reasonably large number), it's one of my favorite, if not my absolute favorite, places to hang. I just loved the Old Town and all the restaurants nearby. It's particularly spectacular around the holiday season.

Cheers--

Mark

Yeah, I was lucky enough to be there until late December. I fondly remember going to all the Christmas markets and drinking 'glogg'

Ever go on one of those Silja cruises??

Can you say Lapin Kulta?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I didn't actually drink too much Kulta, I just remember all the Swedes unloading case after case of it off of the ship on the Sunday afternoon.

I drank a lot of Tuborg & Spendrups. :D

For me, it was the herring and aquavit....lots and lots of aqquavit...or at least, I think it was....well, hmmm...it's all a little fuzzy now.... ;)

Chiquitita is an excellent song, but I wonder why the basslines are so simple, didn`t they use a bass player?

Imagine McCartney playing bass on that song, then it would be perfect for me.

:thu:

"Creo en la Reflexión, no en Dogmas"

Beatnik

Archived