Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Acid 5 information.

RABid

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grooves, search functionality (THAT will save time), VST effects, Bundled NI Xpress pak - sweet. Upgrade price?

W2K/XP requirement could be a deal breaker, though...

I played in an 8 piece horn band. We would often get bored. So...three words:

"Tower of Polka." - Calumet

I can see where re-wiring Acid into Pro Tools could open a lot of possibilities for looping in a PT environment.

Other things that look good: Nested folder tracks. Bus-2-Bus routing. Groove mapping. The piano roll editor looks to have been significantly improved. VST/VSTi support...nice. They even include NI's Express Keyboards as DafDuc says. Nice touch.

I'll await info on upgrade.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

What does ACID do that Ableton doesn't and vice versa?

Seems to me like Ableton took over from ACID and offered much better arranging options.

I remember when I first came across aCID in 1997/98... was just simply awesome.. a dream come true... but Ableton just seems to have the edge nowadays...

The demos they were showing at AES were very impressive. The piano roll is a lot more efficient now with the snap-to-scale/snap-to-note filters. Basically, these are ways to paint chords, arps, etc., just by laying out a specific scale of note to use. Phillip Glass would love it! :D

The best new features (IMO), though, were the Groove Mapping and Rewire slave capability. Custom Groove Mapping is extremely easy. Just find a loop/audio groove you like, right click on it and dump it into your "groove pool." The groove of the audio is then available for you to use on any of your tracks. Nice. As to rewire, Sony's brought Acid in line with Live's Rewire implementation, but Acid also gives you some better loop editing features (IMO). Makes Acid more interesting than it would otherwise have been, given Live's addition of MIDI.

Lots of other good features. For existing users of Acid 4, this seems like a no-brainer upgrade. For anyone else, it depends on how much you use loops and whether you use a PC.

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

• 3 weeks later...

Acid is a great program. I've had it for years. I especially love the fact that all 15 gigs of my Acid Loops collected over the years now work flawlessly on my PowerMac and PowerBook in Logic Express 7 and Logic Pro 7. (both with Rewire as well) :cool::idea::thu::thu::thu:

Boy, you gotta love OSX!!!

Originally posted by steadyb:

Acid is a great program. I've had it for years. I especially love the fact that all 15 gigs of my Acid Loops collected over the years now work flawlessly on my PowerMac and PowerBook in Logic Express 7 and Logic Pro 7. (both with Rewire as well) :cool::idea::thu::thu::thu:

Boy, you gotta love OSX!!!

Actually, I like Acid, THE PROGRAM. Not just the loops. And I tried OSX and hated it.

I hate Macs, in general. If I wanted overpriced and underpowered hardware, I'd buy a foreign car.

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

I tried OSX and hated it.

Couldn't figure it out, huh???

Well, you've always got your GameBoy. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by bearded yeti:

I hate Macs, in general.

What about in private, corporal, or lieutenant???

:bor:

please troll on back to your cave, yeti again.

Archived