Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ashlee simpson on snl

daBowsa

I can't believe what I just saw - Ashlee Simpson on SNL... The band starts and so does the vocals, but she's not singing! Ok, so she's obviously planned to lipsync the song.

The vocal track fades out, the band pulls it together and keeps playing but she just sulks off the stage.

Then they promptly go to commercial!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was pretty embarrasing! She started out gyrating like she's so into it, then the vocals came in, she looked shocked and didn't know what to do. Like any other wanna-be singer, she walked of the stage instead of finishing it live.

Milli Vanilli Time!!! :D

Damn - sorry I missed this. Probably won't make the Comedy Central re-runs...kinda like:

1) Matthew Broderick's "Hey, nice penis" sketch

2) Billy Martin, Angelica Houston and their "Drinking is glamorous" sketch

3) Martin Lawrence's opening monologue

4) Sam Kinneson's religious rant

5) Morris Day saying "where the fuck this chicken come from, I though I ordered ribs" at the end of some crap song he and 'The Time' played.

Weasels ripped my flesh. Rzzzzzzz.

LITTLE SISTER

by Jessica Simpson

Sez Jessica:

Well you know I'm your big sister

And I put on quite a show

I'll have a wardrobe malf for nose candy

From my handler, jim dandy

And we'll run right for the door

Little sister, dont you

Little sister, dont you

Little sister, dont you fake it once or twice

Then say its loaded dice

And then you run

Little sister, dont you

Sync like your big sister done

Evry time I see you, sister

Well, you fake somebody new

There's Milli and Vanilli, and Paula Abdul,

Hey, they're all standing next to you

Little sister, dont you

Little sister, dont you

Then say its loaded dice

And then you run

Little sister, dont you

Sync like your big sister done

Well, they used to turn their amps on

And set them to play just as they chose

But now they just need their amps on

So the stage will have that ruby glow

Little sister, dont you

Little sister, dont you

Then say its loaded dice

And then you run

Little sister, dont you sync

Don't you sync like your big sister done

Well I seen your big press conference

It was everybody else's fault, yes I know

But your rep's been a-growin

And baby, its been showin

From your head down to your toes

Little sister, dont you

Little sister, dont you

Then say its loaded dice

And then you run

Little sister, dont you sync

Don't you sync like your big sister done

Originally posted by Rob Kudyba:

I jumped out of my seat and almost fell on the floor laughing...career OVER!!!

And then she opines that the band started playing the wrong song!!! Puhlease....

Welcome back Rob!! :D

The funny thing about the video is the bassist smiling after the hack has left the stage, as if to say "at least I can play".

We don't get to see live television much anymore - it would be interesting to know how often this sort of thing gets edited out of what we see. Bring back the Ed Sullivan days!

Interestingly, I had football on TV as I was waiting for this to load. Right after viewing, a beer commercial came on that says, "Rich, but not smooth." Perfect timing! :eek:

- Bob

Originally posted by ELP71:

Damn - sorry I missed this. Probably won't make the Comedy Central re-runs...kinda like:

1) Matthew Broderick's "Hey, nice penis" sketch

2) Billy Martin, Angelica Houston and their "Drinking is glamorous" sketch

3) Martin Lawrence's opening monologue

4) Sam Kinneson's religious rant

5) Morris Day saying "where the fuck this chicken come from, I though I ordered ribs" at the end of some crap song he and 'The Time' played.

Don't forget Norm McDonald's lil slipup...

Poor Ashlee. I LOVED the band's reactions though - especially the bass player. Musicians are so hip.

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Her fans don't care -- fans of Brittany and all the others who dance and lip sync say they don't mind.

Reminds me of the Keyboard columnist -- every month gives some detailed account of programming a show for Madonna of some other artist -- programming???? Loading up laptops with data isn;t the same as performing music -- and this dude once wrote a column lamenting the demise of players who really "played" onstage -- a real hypocrite in my opinion.

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

Originally posted by Rob Kudyba:

And then she opines that the band started playing the wrong song!!! Puhlease....

And, she kept apologizing to the camera and cast...like it WASN'T MY FAULT . There was a 20 minute break before the second song...WTH was she and her manager doing? They should have made sure everything was good to go. I don't think the band would intentionally play the wrong song (do they want to ruin their reputation and get sued too?) :eek:

Ashlee should have been able to react quickly and get on track to save the performance... not walk off the stage.

A real amateur pretending to be a pro!

I agree. You have to laugh it off and keep the show going no matter what happens. People tend to forget certain things or not notice them all together. Lets cut her a break though. Shes just a kid.

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

Originally posted by hermanjoe:

...Shes just a kid.

No, she's a highly paid "professional" on national television. She's in the position to show thje rest of us amatuers how it's supposed to be done.

If she was a kid and getting paid like one, yea, I'll cut her some slack.

Yeah, I hardly want to acknowledge that aspiring musicians are willing to cut these people slack! I guess the years of megaglomerate ad-driven brainwashing has turned many of us into marching morons.

The ghetto we live in, oi : {

I don't know guys. Musicians have a tendency to take things really seriously. Shit happens. To me its not a big deal. I look at the overall not one indicent. I'm not going to trash someone because they make more money than I do, or "they are a highly paid professional", whatever the reason. Lets see some of you guys play saturday night live. They only people who should be juding are those who have actually done it. Its easy to sit behind a computer and type shit about somebody. Just for the record I am a Jazz player and don't even listen to pop music so I am not a fan.

"Learn the changes, then forget them."

-Charlie Parker

The "overall" is that musicans are third class citizens and probably haven't gained any ground since karoake and a few other ways to keep most of the coin in the pocket of the Man came along ; }

No surprise there, really. We all do what we can.

Lets see some of you guys play saturday night live. They only people who should be juding are those who have actually done it.

That's ludicrous.

You don't have to have played Saturday Night Live, or even a club, or even be a musician to object to the deceit of a "musician" who is lip-syncing to a tape, nor to condemn the utter lack of character of such a person who would blame her band for "playing the wrong song" after having been exposed for the complete fraud she is.

The fact is for every fraud like Ashlee Simpson making oodles of money pretending to play music, there's a gifted musician out there who could tear Saturday Night Live up with no technological aid whatsoever, and it's offensive that she's taking up their slot because she has connections and looks good in leather pants.

Originally posted by radiospace:

The fact is for every fraud like Ashlee Simpson making oodles of money pretending to play music, there's a gifted musician out there who could tear Saturday Night Live up with no technological aid whatsoever, and it's offensive that she's taking up their slot because she has connections and looks good in leather pants.

Actually she did not look all that good in the pants she had on for the show... just sayin.

...Lets see some of you guys play saturday night live...

Anytime. You arrange it, I'll be there. Otherwisae, there will be 500 alternates that can do just as well (or better) right behind me.

If you are good enough to do national television, you should be able to figure out which song you're going to play.

I've seen locals come off much better under much more demanding circumstances.

People like Ass-Lee Simpson are the kind of people that devalue artistry and lower the standards for everybody else. If she had been a singer, she would have stayed on stage and finished the song, now since she has no other qualities than being Jessica´s sister, she´s forced to walk off humiliated. I´ve done live tv gigs, it´s just another gig but with cameras... The sooner these people disappear from the music business - where they have no business - the better! :mad:

:cool:

There are a couple of country stars that are very obviously less talented than the less attractive demo singers we have here in town. I understand it, and for the most part I accept that as a part of the business. After all, who wants somebody ugly to sing to them?

I've never been as tolerant of the dancing monkeys who get up on stage and lipsync. Especially when they do this:

Ashlee\'s BS excuse at the end of the show

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that she had any control over the music, or over making the apology at the end. I'd be surprised if she has control over what pair of shoes she wears in the morning. But c'mon...

*Howard Zinn for President*

**Pilsner Urquell for President of Beers!**

Archived