Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT-Dark Matter

Since there are a few discussions already going on about physics and sound I thought I would throw this out while all the nerds (and I mean that nicely) are looking... I read that some 90% of our galaxy's mass is unaccounted for... that is to say, for what we know about our galaxy, the amount of mass is falling WAY short of what is necessary to hold it together with gravity. By all accounts, our galaxy should've spun apart by now, but there is something unnacccounted for that is exerting a huge gravitational force keeping it in check. So what's holding the galaxy together? Faith?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually... There ARE scientists working along similar lines, with the idea that [i]consciousness[/i] is what is holding the whole thing together. Mind-blowing stuff with staggering implications, etc. The math involved is [i]way[/i] too complicated for us mere mortals so I guess we'll just have to believe ;) I'll try to find a link...

I remember hearing or reading something within the last couple years about a theory that comes close to proving the existence of dark matter. I don't remember any specifics though. They've also come close to proving that the universe is expanding rather than contracting, which gives more credence to the Big Bang theory.

"Bass isn't just for breakfast anymore..."

http://www.mp3.com/Addix_Metzatricity

Mars said: [quote] There ARE scientists working along similar lines, with the idea that consciousness is what is holding the whole thing together. Mind-blowing stuff with staggering implications, etc. The math involved is way too complicated for us mere mortals so I guess we'll just have to believe [/quote]But isn't that a paradox in itself? Are we supposed to beleive string theory and donut-shaped universe theories without being able to check the math for oursleves? Knowing anything for sure requires a little bit of faith. WOW! I had a Christmas epiphany!

The problem with experimental physics thusfar, as I see it, is the dependence on the known measurements of matter, i.e. light, sound, mass, etc. There are particles suggested by theories that are not detectable by traditional means. This means that we cannot currently know they are there; these particles can account for a great deal of mass. There are particles like the neutrino that may or may not have mass (although recent developments seem to show that they do). We should also remember that energy itself is massive. It's true that the average temperature of the universe is only a few hundreths of a Kalvin, but think about how expansive the universe is in comparison, that energy of heat would surely account for a lot of mass. Dark matter does exist. It's simply that matter that does not radiate energy that we can measure, hence, it is "dark." It will cease to be dark once science decides what it is, and thus dark matter will never be found. It's like a miracle. IT's only mysterious until it can be explained, at which time it becomes commonplace. The modus operandi of the event hasn't changed, it was only explained. Dark matter is the same way. It'll only be mysterious until it is explained. Is anyone else here a physics nerd?
...think funky thoughts... :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by The Tedster of Christmas Present: [b]Being that everything appears to be red shifted (moving away from us), I guess the universe is expanding. And so is my waistline. Where's Stephen Hawking when you need him?[/b][/quote]Tedster laughs like a bowl full of Jelly!! ho ho ho!!

Archived