Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

EP's - Wurli or Rhodes....

Philip OKeefe

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

Speaking of Wurli tones, I heard a good one last night that I had forgotten about - Sweet's "Love Is Like Oxygen". Okay, okay, laugh all you want about my powerpop nature ( :D ) but that's a cool tune, and the stereo vibrato Wurli that comes in at about 3:13 is SOOO cool. Actually, the EP and the acoustic piano together work really well in that song.

It's okay to hate me. :D

That is a coooooooooool track.. I loved it when I was a kid and I still do... there was something about songs of that era... just clever and catchy... I loved stuff like "Just What I Needed" by the Cars and "Airport" by the Motors.. lovely keyboard led pop... :D

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, George Duke, The Beatles all used a Rhodes. Almost never a Wurlitzer.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Originally posted by Ted Nightshade:

Well I think a wurli is a lot tidier, maybe it would be preferable for recording and some live situations for that reason. Lots of mud potential with a rhodes- takes up a lot of real estate on tape before the clarity comes through.

That's definitely true... if you're not careful with your arrangements, an EP (especially a real Rhodes) can get in the way in the low mids and even upper bass, making it harder to mix with guitars and bass.

Of course it doesn't compare to a piano. Totally different instrument. Ditto for Hammond organ. If I had to choose only one of the above, it would certainly be piano without a moment's hesitation.

A Rhodes works just great live. It can cut nicely through the mix and complements guitars. Strike those keys sharply and they have an attack quite different than a guitar, or rolling chords, or honking almost clav-like parts, or light bell-like tones. A lot of range from a rather simple device -- but you could sure say that about most any great instrument. (Except piano -- because it's not simple!)

Originally posted by b3keys:

That may be true in general, but "I Am The Walrus" is definitely a Wurli...

No, No, No! "I Am The Walrus" is a Pianet!
You know what? The Clavinet and the Pianet are easily mistaken for one another.

What about Three Dog Night's "Joy to the World". Is that a Clavinet, or a pianet?

There are additional examples, but they escape me at this time.

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Originally posted by DKeenum:

I've always thought that Joy to the world was wurlie... but I've been wrong about a lot.

David,

I know what you mean. That's why I asked the question. It seems like in many recordings where I thought the Wurli was used, it turned out to be a pianet. I wish I could put my finger on the facts and just where I read them... just in case I'm a contestant on Jeapardy and they ask that question. :freak:;)

I DO know for a fact that a cold draft beer would taste pretty good right about now. Anyone wanna join me? Word on the street is that zeronyne is buying! :P

Tom :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

People told me my particular Rhodes had the worst action they'd ever felt...Maybe that's why I preferred playin' my Wurly.

My Wurly keyboard's touch was right in my "sweet spot:" it offered less resistance than a grand piano, but certainly more than a Farfisa...and those gut-bucket lead lines that flowed out made folks stop and look!

Then came what doctors refer to as a "right inguinal hernia." So much for hauling around hundred-pound (45-kilogram) keyboards!

"If more of us valued food, cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." - J. R. R. Tolkien

I hear some songs where I'm not sure whether it's a Rhodes or a Wurly -- kinda like both but not quite like either. Generally closer to Wurly, but without that special overtone that gives it such a nice bite.

Maybe that's a pianet? I never played a pianet.

Hi All,

IMHO the action of any Rhodes I've ever played (also I've owned two and since sold them) has been just ridiculous. Maybe the sound is nicer than a Wurli, but I've ended up with a Wurli only, and I love it. Playing the rhodes felt like I was whacking my fingers down on my desk, not on a musical instrument. Call me wimpy if you will, but I'll pass on the Rhodes.

I've owned a couple of Rhodes back in the day (and that day was a while ago!). Now I use an S80 live and the EVP88/NI Electrik Piano in my recording work. The Rhodes sound I have relied on for most of my ep needs. I play jazz out mostly (and love Chick and Herbie's Rhodes sounds/solos for inspiration), but have been getting into using the S80 wurlitzer a lot lately. One group I play with occasionally has 2 guitarists, and the wurlie emulation does an excellent job of cutting through that sound.

Of course, with 2 guitarists, it can be hard to find room... :rolleyes:

Composer/Performer at Roger Hooper Music

Product Trainer at CASIO

www.rogerhooper.com

IMHO, these are two different bords for quite different purposes. The Wurli has a bright, biting sound that fits rock and blues well, but is not a great jazz tool. The Rhodes is not a great rock tool - there are exceptions, but generally it is not bright enough, though it barks nicely.

Really it is comparing apples and oranges, the 'useful timbral space' Venn diagram of each has a very narrow overlap, mostly in the pop area.

In Gigastudio, I have three Rhodes libs I use: Scarbee 73, Franz' Virtual Rhodes and one I made up with Franz' Rhodes plus strings for a Fattburger effect. I also still love the MKS-20 Rhodes, that SA process works perfectly for it. For the Wurli, there is a free lib (I think from Worra's site) that really works for me, it feels like the real thing.

But I never have to ask myself which is best, Rhodes or Wurli, for a given tune, it's always obvious to me...

Dasher

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

I read about a lot of stiff Rhodes actions here, but FWIW my old 88 has a really sweet action conducive to trills and rips and the like. On the easy side of just right.

A WOP BOP A LU BOP, A LOP BAM BOOM!

"There is nothing I regret so much as my good behavior. What demon possessed me that I behaved so well?" -Henry David Thoreau

Archived