Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Microphone sponge washing...

mooghead

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by mooghead:

Does anybody knows how to properly wash the black round sponge that covers, for example, the capsule of an head-set microphone?

Thank you.

I'd recommend paying the $3.00 to $10.00(US) to get a replacement. They will start to disintegrate as they dry after using any sort of detergent or soap that would make any difference.

"For instance" is not proof.

Ouch.....$10 for a mike "sponge?" Costs about 29 cents to make it. I'd replace it for a couple bucks if it was filthy and torn, but of course there's always warm water and mild dish soap. That should do the trick.
When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Originally posted by Synthoid:

Ouch.....$10 for a mike "sponge?" Costs about 29 cents to make it. I'd replace it for a couple bucks if it was filthy and torn, but of course there's always warm water and mild dish soap. That should do the trick.

If people replaced them often, it WOULD always be a couple bucks, but the cheapest non-generic windscreen I've seen was for my AKG headset, which was $3.00, and $4.50 for my Shure headset.

Can you point me to a link that would support the fact that a sponge piece, design and tool & die included, that is only going to be produced in the thousands at the most, is only going to come out t0 29 cents per unit?

"For instance" is not proof.

I'm talking generic windscreens.....they fit most stage mikes.

I have worked in manufacturing, design, as well as advertising specialties--and believe me, the markup on specialty plastics & foam is HUGE.

The last post says it all--make your own. :cool:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Originally posted by Synthoid:

Yep, ten bucks. The sponges I got from Radio Shack for my headphones were ten bucks. It was either pay it or have waffle ears! Kcbass

"Let It Be!"

Archived