Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Live use of loops, etc.

Michelle ggurl

Hi KCers, I posted this query in "band" forum but didn't get a response so perhaps no one there has suggestions ... I thought I'd now see if any of my fellow key-clankers here does. My question:

Does anyone trigger loops or sequences live with "tap tempo" instead of a click, and if so, how? I need to replicate certain things in performance that are on my project's CD. Some of the sounds for these extra parts can come from my keyboard. But some of the loops on the CD are currently in Reason (which doesn't have tap tempo), and I'd like to be able to trigger at least some of them -- so I imagine I'd be looking at either a program on a laptop, or a stand-alone sequencer/perhaps drum machine (like the new AKAI, which imports WAV files) to make those happen?

Our CD is about done, and there is way more orchestration than little ol' me can play live. We're instrumental and the guitarist plays most the heads. We are considering having another keyboardist in the band, but I'd like to consider ALL options, and triggering loops seems like one of them ... and something I'd have to do to get some of the sounds, no matter what.

Originally I thought this could be a "band" issue -- ie, that the loops or sequences didn't have to be triggered by me -- rather than solely keyboard one. I'm doing research but it's a slow process into territory I'm unfamiliar, so any insight appreciated.

Thanks!

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Gus, well, I haven't tried any program for this function yet because I must buy to find out if it works ... can't afford to do that more than once. But Live is certainly one program I'm considering. I was just hoping maybe someone here has triggered loops/sequences live and can share how they do it. For instance, maybe the answer isn't having to buy a laptop; maybe there is a hardware sequencer ppl also like for this function, one that can import WAVs or somthing. I dunno, maybe that sounds stupid and there is no such thing ...

Thanks for the suggestion though. I may be checking Live out as my only option.

cheers,

gg

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

Well.. I don't use hardware at all... only a Mac and a bunch of MIDI Controllers and LIVE is my main app onstage.

Let's see what can others say

:wave:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Archived