Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

NFL - Survival Pool 2004

Dave Bryce

Yes, that's right - it's that time of year again...are you ready for some football survival pool?

For those of you who've never participated in or heard about one of these, the rules are simple - each week, you pick one team to win. No point spreads, just a win. If your team wins, you survive. If they lose, you're out. If they tie, you're out. If you don't get your pick in by kick-off time on whichever day of the week has that week's first game, you're out. If you survive, you pick a different team the next week. Whoever is the last person in the pool wins.

One other small rule - you can only take each team once in a season; so, for example, if you pick the Patriots in Week 1, you can't use them again in any subsequent weeks. If you pick a team that you've already used...you guessed it - you're out.

The way that this pool normally works in real life is that there's an entry fee and the last person standing takes the whole pot. However, here on the forum, we just do it for fun - no money is involved.

If you've never played one of these and think it sounds easy, you may be in for a surprise...

Soooooooooo...who wants to sign up and play?

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Count me in. :)

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Boy-o, there aren't a lot of clear cut choices in week one...I lean toward the Rams, but this does not consitute an official pick.

Thursday, Sep. 9

Indianapolis at New England

Sunday, Sep. 12

Arizona at St. Louis,

Baltimore at Cleveland

Cincinnati at N.Y. Jets

Detroit at Chicago

Jacksonville at Buffalo

Oakland at Pittsburgh

San Diego at Houston

Seattle at New Orleans

Tampa Bay at Washington

Tennessee at Miami

Atlanta at San Francisco

Dallas at Minnesota

N.Y. Giants at Philadelphia

Kansas City at Denver

Monday, Sep. 13

Green Bay at Carolina

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Mag... put your picks of all games in the other NFL thread. This thread's only for your ONE pick for the week for the Survival Pool (otherwise it's a pain in the ass to tally pool totals).

:confused:

Look again, brother Weasel - those are the Week One games...

For those of you who have never done one of these before, Week One traditionally tends to serve up some serious carnage, since no one really has a handle on how most teams are gonna perform yet.

If memory serves, we lost almost half the field (including myself) in Week One last year... :eek:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Look again, brother Weasel - those are the Week One games...

JEFF'S BRAIN COMING ONLINE... RAM OK... HD DETECTED... ERROR 7C5EU-SJD84H-D8RFIKI8YG-J7-DJGGVNDYGYJEL.

Never mind.

If memory serves, we lost almost half the field (including myself) in Week One last year... :eek:
I think we started with like 32 on week one and had 17 left in week two, yes. :)

- Jeff

I'm in! :cool:

For those of you who have never done one of these before, Week One traditionally tends to serve up some serious carnage, since no one really has a handle on how most teams are gonna perform yet.

%&$@ Texans! :mad:

Originally posted by dave-G:

Originally posted by jackpine:

quote:

(snip).....about half of the people playing get eliminated in the first few weeks
Well, if Miami goes down, this will happen in the first week.
:eek:
Yep.

I'm considering changing my pick to distance myself in case of such a catastrophe.
Dave... shake yourself. The freakin'
Tex-annes
are a JV team. The Dolphins are a bona fide defensive force. You'll (we'll) be fine.

-dave

Famous last words! :D

````

Back to the 2004 season: there are a lot of close matchups in week one, but there are also several that look inviting. At this point, I'm leaning toward Philadelphia, Tennessee, Atlanta, and St. Louis.

Edit: presuming we're allowed to change our picks by kick-off time on whichever day of the week has that week's first game, I'll go with Philly for now..

The Eagles should be fired up with something to prove after having yet again lost an NFC Championship game, and I don't think NY's "Pop Warner offense" will be ready for prime time just yet. (Sorry John.)

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'll be interested to see the Colts/Pats game on the 9th.

The Eagles don't have their act together yet, but I think they are going to be a better team this year. Too bad they're down to one running back, that could hurt them down the stretch. Owens is the break away threat they've needed for their passing game the last few years. If they would have had him last season, they probably could have gone to the super bowl. McNabb can't do it all himself.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Originally posted by Magpel:

Geoff, I agree that the Eagles are one of the sronger bets in week one, but I can't begin the season picking against my own team. Can't do it. I'd be cosmically punished.

LOL! :D

I don't blame you one bit John - I couldn't pick against my team either. I expect them to have a tough time against Carolina though.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Archived