Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Controller for Roland RD-700

mound

Does anybody know of a "generic" midi controller that could be setup so I can change patches on my RD-700 with my foot? I posted a thread last week about trying to do this with my Lexicon MPX-R1 foot controller, but got no responses, and my further research, I'm finding it's not possible with that particular unit. The RD-700 can accept midi program changes, I am pretty sure there are generic foot pedals out there (like, with bank and program change arrows/numbers) that can be used in a variety of settings, but I'm looking specifically for something that somebody knows I can use with my RD-700.. Fumbling through menus with my fingers simply takes too long if I want a quick patch change.

thanks

-Paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would think that can be done.

How about the Hosa fcs 502 switch pedal ? Thats a $20 item.

At the moment I am using that as a sustain for my Triton Classic.

I think it work to connect it to FC1 or FC2 of the RD 700 , go to midi setting of FC1 and establish what cc # will advance you through patch settings.

I have the Rd 700. If I have time Saturday , I will test this.

Are you using setups in your Rd 700 ? Setups are the fastest way to make changes on the Rd. It takes a little time to plan out setups and rename them, but it is worth the time. I find that I will never use 1/3 of the 80 factory setup patches and have overwritten them

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I thought only YAMAHA UI were cumbersome to operate. :D

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I have a Rolls Midibuddy. It changes patches, but the entire pedal unit can only be set to one channel at a time (that works for me...maybe not for you). I believe the same is true for the Tech 21 Midimouse, whivh scrolls through by pressing just one footswitch. The Behringer can be programmed to a bunch of stuff including program changes on any channel. Don't own one...juat what I've heard.

Are you using setups in your Rd 700 ? Setups are the fastest way to make changes on the Rd. It takes a little time to plan out setups and rename them, but it is worth the time. I find that I will never use 1/3 of the 80 factory setup patches and have overwritten them
yup, using setups, and yes, it's cumbersomb, but as long as I'm not programming while performing, it's no problem.

I did actually stumble on that Behringer FCB1010 while looking. That is the type of thing I'm looking for, something I can tap one, two, or three times to enter a setup number and change to it with the flip of my foot.

I do own one of These and I'm still not entirely convinved I can't program it to do what I want. It's used to change patch and paramater settings for a rack mounted guitar processor, which I also use for amp modelling. I'd love it if I could somehow control the piano and the rack with the single controller! Will take some experimenting.

You also mentioned that Hosa pedal, I'm sure that would work, but it would still require an effort to scroll through.

thanks!

-paul

"You look hopefully for an idea and then you're humble when you find it and you wish your skills were better. To have even a half-baked touch of creativity is an honor."

-- Ernie Stires, composer

(Off Topic)

I have a RD700 here on loan for a week and I like its Rhodes.

Is the RD700 PA5 action lighter or heavier than the RD600 PA4 action? I have heard that the RD700 action bottoms out harder and that the RD600 action was "bouncier."

The RD700 debuted in January 2001. The FP5 stage piano debuted in January 2003. Have you ever compared the RD700 piano sound to the FP5 piano sound? Are they the same?

I know they share the same Rhodes samples.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Archived