Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

defining all these piano sounds

MIDIdiot

Don't Let Me Down and Get Back are both Rhodes.

Pianet songs - I Am The Walrus (Beatles)

Come Together (Beatles)

Joy To the World and

Momma Told Me Not To Come (3 Dog Night)

She's Not There (The Zombies)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Which Beatles tunes are Wurlitzer?

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Originally posted by drawback:

I never really heard the parts - probably just wasn't aware they existed.

And that's where I stand today. :o

But hey, good news, today I got my first two Herbie Hancock CD's! "The Best Of", and "Head Hunters". Is that good?

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

That is very good, grasshopper. You'll be playing the bass - synth line in no time. When you have graduated to playing that against the lead line, you will be ready. :o

Here for the gear.

'I Am The Walrus' was supposed to be a Hohner Pianet. Maybe The Beatles didn't use the Wurlitzer at all?

"The Hohner Pianet came from the same stable as the renowned Clavinet.

It used similar principles too - each key had a sticky rubber pad that 'plucked' a tine and this was amplified using an electro-magnetic pickup and the signal was then fed to a single, mono output.

It had no controls and was a one-trick pony producing just the single sound without any means to modify it

The sound was somewhere between the plummy tones of the Rhodes and the more aggressive 'throatiness' of the Wurlitzer EP200. It was moderately successful and found favour principally for its compact size and portability. However, its playability was limited as a result of its mechanism - whilst it was touch sensitive, it had a limited range and hence was not very expressive and it had no facility for a sustain pedal.

That said, it was a good little electric piano that found favour with Tony Banks (Genesis) and Chick Corea in the early days of their careers (Banks used one on 'Nursery Crime' and 'Foxtrot' but for some reason replaced it with the all electronic RMI ElectraPiano for the later Genesis albums).

Several Pianet models were manufactured but probably the most famous was the Pianet T which is featured here and authentically mapped from F1-E6"

Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 800 of Harry's solo piano arrangements and tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas These arrangements are for teaching solo piano chording using Harry's 2+2 harmony method.

Archived